Count of Monte Cristo (Wordsworth Classics)…

Count of Monte Cristo (Wordsworth Classics) (Wordsworth Collection) (original 1844; edition 1998)

by Alexandre Dumas

14,328254141 (4.34)4 / 922
Member:cavaliersfencing
Title:Count of Monte Cristo (Wordsworth Classics) (Wordsworth Collection)
Authors:Alexandre Dumas
Info:Wordsworth Editions Ltd (1998), Paperback, 928 pages

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (1844)

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (caflores)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (rareflorida)
    rareflorida: An old SciFi classic based upon The Count of Monte Cristo. Be patient because the begining of the story may be frustrating but you will eventually see the intelligence.
    The Black Tulip by Alexandre père Dumas (2below)
    2below: These stories share some key themes and plot elements. It's not nearly as epic as The Count of Monte Cristo but makes for an interesting comparison.
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (SandSing7)
    Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (VictoriaPL)
    Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand (VictoriaPL)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (MarcusBrutus)
    The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox (citygirl)
    citygirl: Another detailed, intricately plotted revenge tale.
    The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas (keeneam)
    Ivanhoe by Walter Scott (SandSing7)
    Selected Short Stories (Penguin Classics) by Guy de Maupassant (bokai)
    bokai: While Maupassant's power is in his slice of life short stories told in an objective narrative voice and Dumas is the master of the thousand page epic told (see more) in highly sympathetic narration, both authors evoke images of the same France and are unequaled in their skill at bringing character and conflict to life. A short by Maupassant is a great way to break up the lengthy prose of Dumas, and Dumas, in turn, expands and elaborates the world that Maupassant provides only glimpses of.… (more)
    D'artagnan Romances, The (5 Volume Set: The Three Guardsman; Vicomte De Bragelonne; Ten Years Later; Louise de la Vallie by Alexandre Dumas (MarcusBrutus)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: The story of a man consumed by his obsession, but instead of revenge, Gatsby is chasing the American dream.
    Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both are adventure stories that take place over a number of years and deal with riches, revenge, and romance
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (joririchardson)
    Gil Blas by Alain René Le Sage (roby72)
    The Queen of the South by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (lilisin)
    lilisin: "Queen of the South" is a modern retake on "The Count". Not my favorite read but you can definitely see the parallels.
    The Stars' Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry (Pixelinchen, lizzybeans11)
    Pixelinchen: The Count of Monte Cristo in the British dotcom world of the 20th Century
    Shogun: A Novel of Japan by James Clavell (ShaneTierney)
    The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (keremix)

English (237)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Turkish (1)  German (1)  All languages (254)
One of the best I've ever read.

No, seriously. I have some great favorites out there. East of Eden by John Steinbeck. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Kafka on the Shore by Murakami. And this goes up there with those literary greats. Why haven't I read this before now?

I can't even begin to share how wonderful of an adventure it was to read this book. Sure, it was on the long side…with over 1000 pages to read. It took me about two months to get through the entire thing, when most books take me more or less a week. But boy, did I not mind taking my sweet time. I felt that I was on as much of an adventure reading the book as the Count of Monte Cristo himself was over the time period that occurred. Halfway through the book, I already found myself reminiscing about some of the events that occurred much earlier in the story. It was that great.

The characters from the world of Alexandre Dumas are all deep and multidimensional. Even some of the characters who get little narrative time come fleshed out and deep and engrossing. There's so much under-the-surface material to work with, that if I were crazy enough, I could easily write some critical analysis papers on simply the minor characters in this story. Likewise, the plot intricacies are deeply embedded in one another, and it's deeply engrossing to unravel the finely woven fibers of detail that Dumas sets up.

I gasped. I chuckled. I was saddened. I went through a catharsis of emotion as I read each and every page of this wonderful story. If you have the time (and if you're on Goodreads, you obviously do), this is a must read that I highly recommend to anyone out there. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
After reading several rave reviews about this book on Reddit, I decided to give it a try. What a journey! I started three weeks ago and finished it yesterday. In between this time, I became obsessed. All of my idle thoughts brought me back to the story of Edmond Dantes. I laughed, I cried, I received a brief history lesson on Europe in the 1800’s.

The Count of Monte Cristo is very well written and flows beautifully (I read the Robin Buss translation, for reference). There are some descriptive passages that occasionally seem to drag on, but what is a novel if it is only action, action, action all the time and devoid of thought-provoking prose? I wavered between flying through the pages to see what might happen next to pausing and closing the book so I could contemplate what I had just read.

Here is a small sample of one of my favorite passages: “Well, my dear father, in the shipwreck of life – for life is an eternal shipwreck of our hopes – I throw all my useless baggage in the sea, that’s all, and remain with my will, prepared to live entirely alone and consequently entirely free.”

If only this book could have gone on forever. Loyally, I would have kept turning the pages for all eternity. ( )
  theokayest | May 22, 2015 |
I feel like this had the potential to be excellent, but as it is, I feel I'm being generous giving it 4 stars. It was too long and I felt let down at the end. There were some really good parts, though--I loved the thematic elements like the revenge and the Count being a very mysterious, super-human type of man. Also, for as long as it is, the pacing is not bad at all. Things moved along surprisingly quickly. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
Jamais li outro livro do mesmo tamanho. A experiência me reforçou como um dedicado rato de biblioteca, em vez de um leitor meramente casual. O enredo é tão absorvente que me senti novamente como uma criança de oito anos. Ao contrário de outros romances de Dumas, este tem muito pouco de swashbuckle, sendo mais um romance do tipo psicológico recheado de escapadas de última hora e aventuras quase letais. O final, como todo o mundo sabe, é um pouco demasiado up-beat, mas e daí? A vida é cheia de alegrias e maravilhas inesperadas. ( )
  jgcorrea | Apr 24, 2015 |
I am aware how this doorstop from the past is accessible in its peerless translation to me...I, who found many ancient books boring and obscure and inaccessible to my contemporary mind. I acknowledge how certain parts of the book are delectable to read. Should that have been enough? Am I wrong in wanting the impossible from a book overtaken by obsolescence? I must hasten to state that the prose is modern but some ideas are clunky and outdated. But I don't regret in reading Monte Christo, because I need to tread trodden paths to recognize the merit in books that are humble and promise little, only to deliver on all counts.

The major problem of the book is that it requires us to be invested emotionally in all characters equally, without laying the foundation for us to care about the newer persons that appear in the book. The chapters dedicated to Abbe Faria are among the best I've read. This performance failed to reappear in the sometimes melodramatic meanderings of the middle and conclusive chapters. The more sentimental chapters remind me of an off form Dickens, or of a faithful Dickens, depending on your opinion.

Regardless of the complaints I have against Monte Christo, it's surprisingly modern and there are no cultural shockers here. It's just that sometimes the book takes on the form of ancient and boring texts, such as aesop's tales, the arabian nights, or the Odyssey. Narrators' characters narrate in their turn. Newcomers adopt painstakingly detailed orations of what new information they bring. As someone who looks forward to sad turns of the phrase and poetic insights, I was left cold by the fate of Mercedes, and Albert. There's something wrong in preparing me for caring about these innocent characters, then treating them coolly and giving them no closure. They were the key to humanizing the Count's revenge. These people were spared, but their destiny was not given enough gravitas. This sat ill with me, who was looking forward to see how well the endless flow of words would conclude. I feel the book is average and I feel my rating of two stars reflects my reaction to the book. Others will no doubt have different views. ( )
  Jiraiya | Feb 20, 2015 |
Edmond Dantes je plemenit, lep, mladi mornar zaljubljen u predivnu Mercedes. Danglers koji želi da se dočepa njegovog zlata, Kaderus, lupež koji želi ličnu osvetu i zli general Mondego koji želi Mercedes za ženu, optužuju Edmunda za pljačku upravo na dan njegov venčanja i on biva zatvoren u zloglasni zatvor Sato D'if. Bežeci iz zatvora, na zabačenom ostrvu pronalazi ogromno blago. U Pariz se vraća kao bogati i misteriozni grof Monte Kristo. Kako bih isterao pravdu i sprao ljagu sa svog imena - uz pomoć tri nova i urnebesna prijatelja!
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

On February 24, 1815, the watchtower at Marseilles signaled the arrival of the three-master Pharaon, coming from Smyrna, Trieste and Naples.
These should be the unabridged editions of The Count of Monte Cristo

blurb: This enduringly popular tale of live and vengeance in the post Napoleonic era follows Edmond Dantes as he prepares to captain his own ship and marry his beloved Mercedes. But on his wedding day, he is betrayed by spiteful enemies and arrested on trumped up charges. Condemned to lifelong imprisonment, he befriends Abbe Faria, a priest and fellow inmate with an escape plan. When Abbe Faria dies, Edmond escapes alone. Free at last, and incredibly wealthy, Edmond enters society posing as the brooding and mysterious count of Monte Cristo to reclaim his lost love and exact a terrible vengeance from his accusers.

Translated with an Introduction by Robin Buss.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:53 -0400)

Edmund Dantes, unjustly convicted of aiding the exiled Napoleon, escapes after fourteen years of imprisonment and seeks revenge in Paris.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,854,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible