Count of Monte Cristo (Wordsworth Classics)…

Count of Monte Cristo (Wordsworth Classics) (Wordsworth Collection) (original 1844; edition 1998)

by Alexandre Dumas

15,763295112 (4.34)4 / 1040
Member:cavaliersfencing
Title:Count of Monte Cristo (Wordsworth Classics) (Wordsworth Collection)
Authors:Alexandre Dumas
Info:Wordsworth Editions Ltd (1998), Paperback, 928 pages

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (1844)

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (caflores)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (rareflorida)
    rareflorida: An old SciFi classic based upon The Count of Monte Cristo. Be patient because the begining of the story may be frustrating but you will eventually see the intelligence.
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska, Baroness Orczy (SandSing7)
    The Black Tulip by Alexandre Dumas (2below)
    2below: These stories share some key themes and plot elements. It's not nearly as epic as The Count of Monte Cristo but makes for an interesting comparison.
    Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (VictoriaPL)
    Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand (VictoriaPL)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (MarcusBrutus)
    The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox (citygirl)
    citygirl: Another detailed, intricately plotted revenge tale.
    The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas (keeneam)
    Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott (SandSing7)
    Selected Short Stories [Penguin Classics] by Guy de Maupassant (bokai)
    bokai: While Maupassant's power is in his slice of life short stories told in an objective narrative voice and Dumas is the master of the thousand page epic told (see more) in highly sympathetic narration, both authors evoke images of the same France and are unequaled in their skill at bringing character and conflict to life. A short by Maupassant is a great way to break up the lengthy prose of Dumas, and Dumas, in turn, expands and elaborates the world that Maupassant provides only glimpses of.… (more)
    D'artagnan Romances, The (5 Volume Set: The Three Guardsman; Vicomte De Bragelonne; Ten Years Later; Louise de la Vallie by Alexandre Dumas (MarcusBrutus)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: The story of a man consumed by his obsession, but instead of revenge, Gatsby is chasing the American dream.
    Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both are adventure stories that take place over a number of years and deal with riches, revenge, and romance
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (joririchardson)
    Gil Blas by Alain René Le Sage (roby72)
    The Queen of the South by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (lilisin)
    lilisin: "Queen of the South" is a modern retake on "The Count". Not my favorite read but you can definitely see the parallels.
    The Stars' Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry (Pixelinchen, lizzybeans11)
    Pixelinchen: The Count of Monte Cristo in the British dotcom world of the 20th Century
    Shogun: A Novel of Japan by James Clavell (ShaneTierney)
    The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (keremix)

English (274)  Spanish (6)  Italian (5)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Turkish (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All (295)
"This Count de Monte-Cristo is a singular man," said Emmanuel.
"Yes," answered Maxmilian; "but I feel sure he has an excellent heart, and that he likes us."

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexndre Dumas is a singular novel. I can think of no higher praise than to say it now ranks as one of my top five favorite books ever. It is the story of a young sailor named Edmund Dantes who returns from voyage intending to marry his love Mercedes. On his return, he is praised by the ship owner (who trusts him and loves him like a son), and in wake of the captain's death, promotes Edmund to Captain. This does not sit well with Danglar, the ship owner's representative on the ship. It does not take Danglar long to conspire with Fernand, a soldier and friend of Mercedes who also loves her. The conspirators accuse Dantes of being a traitor and he sent before the magistrate the night before he is to be married. The Magistrate, Monsieur de Villfort, is ready to release Dantes, when evidence is provided that he must personally protect. For this reason, he ships Dantes to prison where he stays for 14 years. When he emerges from prison, he is a changed man. He is led to a treasure of unimaginable size which he plans to use to avenge himself against his enemies.

This review will be unconventional as I have shared my thoughts with you along the way. Please forgive my rambling stream of consciousness praising this magnificent novel.

Dumas is a master of character. This is present in Edmund Dantes/The Count himself. We begin with a simple man who is good and loves his simple life. After prison, his education by the Abbe, and his immense fortune, we have a magnanimous man on the surface, but a cold, seething man underneath. The mask of The Count reminds me very much of Batman and how Bruce Wayne is the mask. Dantes is a man who has everything the world says is success: knowledge, power, fame, riches. But in all of this he is driven by revenge. Thankfully, ultimately, he is not consumed by it. In fact, he takes just as many pains to bless those he loves as he does to cause the downfall of the those who wronged him.

Dumas is a master of character. There are many characters in this book, major and minor. What amazes me is that Dumas gives every minor character a moment in the spotlight. An example of this is a scene in which Albert de Morcef, Fernand's son, challenges his good friend Beachamp to a duel over an item which appeared in one of his newspapers. This scene could have been short as Beachamp could simply have accepted the challenge. Albert is insistent that his father's honor has been impugned. Beauchamp takes extra care to try and deter his friend as the item got into the paper without his knowledge and that he cannot confirm or deny its truth. Beachamp skillfully, and lovingly, delays the duel long enough to resolve the issue. This scene, and others like it, show the love that permeates the novel. Whether is it romantic love, filial love, the love of a friend, or the love of a mentor, Dumas make this love inescapable.

I'll wrap up by saying I loved that every bit of this book is central to the plot. There is little if any fat here. Every tangent that Dumas leads us on rounds back to the central story and bares on The Count's machinations. And, his machinations are great. This is the long con. The Count knows all. The Counts see all. At least, we are lead to believe this into the final pages of the book.

I cannot leave without sharing that John Lee performed this book as a master of his craft. He uses multiple accents, of Italian, French, Arabian, and British. They are seamless. He builds dramatic tension so well and expressed anguish in such a way that I cannot help but get a lump in my throat. I would also say that this is my favorite audiobook ever. Lee's performance is so well rounded and so rich that I say it should be held up as a definitive example of the craft. ( )
8 vote brodiew2 | Dec 19, 2016 |
When I started this book, all I knew of the plot was from the movie: Edmond Dantes gets wrongfully jailed, Dantes escapes jail, Dantes becomes rich, Dantes exacts revenge on the people who threw him in jail. But given it's nearly a thousand pages long, it comes as no surprise that there's a whole lot more to it than that. First of all, there are three people responsible for the jailing, and by the time Dantes returns for revenge, all his enemies have grown children with their own little dramas. There are loads of characters, but there's enough repetition in the narration that it's not too terribly difficult to keep track of who's who. And I found I enjoyed it a lot more than I'd expected. I mean, I liked both of the Musketeers novels I read, but this was on another level. And while I was disappointed with Mercedes's story arc and I thought Dantes's relationship with Haydee was kind of creepy, overall it was a really great story. ( )
  melydia | Dec 16, 2016 |
Read January 2009
Read August 2011

2009 Review:
This was the Barnes and Noble Abridged Edition:
Wow! This was gripping, well told, fascinating and almost perfect. The way it was told just sucked me in. A man is unjustly accused and throught several people betraying him, ends up in a prison left to die. Befriends another prisoner, escapes, gets a fabulous treasure and returns to wreak his vengeance. The emotions portrayed were so good, so true. The only thing I didn't like is that one of his vengeances is explained almost as a sidenote and you never really find out what happened. But other than that, awesome. If I couldn't read another book this year, this one would be the perfect one to end on. Incredible! Definitely 5 Star!

2011 Review:
This was my first time reading the Unabridged version. It was not good. Where as the Barnes and Noble abridged edition was a tight, thrilling story of vengeance and final redemption, this was a maundering convoluted monstrosity filled with current pop culture" references that added nothing and detracted. Side stories kept pulling me away down dead end paths. I was very disappointed. Still a good story, but the story gets lost in Dumas's wordiness and love of conversations. I would never recommend the Unabridged version, that is for sure. Only a 3 Star." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The Count of Monte Cristo is a novel about an adventure of a sailorman. In his adventure he faced some struggles that encourage him about life. His struggles first make him into an antagonist character, but he ends with a realization.

Nevertheless, this novel has its strength and weakness that the reader may notice. The moral value that taught us about the importance of life is one of the strength from this book. Well, on the other hand, the relationship between each character may be distructed the readers concentration which is one of the weakness from this novel.

Regarding with the strength and weakness of this novel there are things that must be improved, but the point is don't make the reader in complicated situation. Most people interested with books which is not too complicated, avoiding the reader from confusion. However, the important thing is the lessons that the reader may get from the book.
  DevaTulong | Dec 6, 2016 |
The Count Of Monte Cristo is a novel which about a very skilled sailer named Edmond Dantes who has a promising future. Even though Dantes is a harmless character with hopes of Success, three antagonists in the novel still end up causing Dante's downfall.

One of the weaknesses that the book has, I think is its length. The storyline of the book is too long and some times makes the reader bored. the beginning is filled with events, the middle and end of the novel are long and slow. The language also is using old english which is difficult to understand sometimes. Even this book has weaknesses but still it has the strength, in my opinion the strength of this book is the plot of this book that make the reader keep on reading this book, At times it got very confusing but in the end it made sense.

I strongly reccommended this book to read because this is can teach us so many lessons for our life which do not jelous to the other and always be satisfied of what we have. ( )
  fpangkey | Dec 3, 2016 |
Edmond Dantes je plemenit, lep, mladi mornar zaljubljen u predivnu Mercedes. Danglers koji želi da se dočepa njegovog zlata, Kaderus, lupež koji želi ličnu osvetu i zli general Mondego koji želi Mercedes za ženu, optužuju Edmunda za pljačku upravo na dan njegov venčanja i on biva zatvoren u zloglasni zatvor Sato D'if. Bežeci iz zatvora, na zabačenom ostrvu pronalazi ogromno blago. U Pariz se vraća kao bogati i misteriozni grof Monte Kristo. Kako bih isterao pravdu i sprao ljagu sa svog imena - uz pomoć tri nova i urnebesna prijatelja!
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

On February 24, 1815, the watchtower at Marseilles signaled the arrival of the three-master Pharaon, coming from Smyrna, Trieste and Naples.
These should be the unabridged editions of The Count of Monte Cristo

blurb: This enduringly popular tale of live and vengeance in the post Napoleonic era follows Edmond Dantes as he prepares to captain his own ship and marry his beloved Mercedes. But on his wedding day, he is betrayed by spiteful enemies and arrested on trumped up charges. Condemned to lifelong imprisonment, he befriends Abbe Faria, a priest and fellow inmate with an escape plan. When Abbe Faria dies, Edmond escapes alone. Free at last, and incredibly wealthy, Edmond enters society posing as the brooding and mysterious count of Monte Cristo to reclaim his lost love and exact a terrible vengeance from his accusers.

Translated with an Introduction by Robin Buss.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:34 -0400)

Edmund Dantes, unjustly convicted of aiding the exiled Napoleon, escapes after fourteen years of imprisonment and seeks revenge in Paris.

5 2082

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102103, 1400108624

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,626,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible