The Count of Monte Cristo (Penguin Classics)…

The Count of Monte Cristo (Penguin Classics) (original 1844; edition 1997)

by Alexandre Dumas pere, Robin Buss (Translator)

17,918321151 (4.33)4 / 1157
Member:rattus
Title:The Count of Monte Cristo (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Alexandre Dumas pere
Other authors:Robin Buss (Translator)
Info:Penguin Classics (1997), Paperback, 1136 pages

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (1844)

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (caflores)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (rareflorida)
    rareflorida: An old SciFi classic based upon The Count of Monte Cristo. Be patient because the begining of the story may be frustrating but you will eventually see the intelligence.
    Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (VictoriaPL)
    The Black Tulip by Alexandre père Dumas (2below)
    2below: These stories share some key themes and plot elements. It's not nearly as epic as The Count of Monte Cristo but makes for an interesting comparison.
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (SandSing7)
    Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand (VictoriaPL)
    Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott (SandSing7)
    The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox (citygirl)
    citygirl: Another detailed, intricately plotted revenge tale.
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (MarcusBrutus)
    The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas (keeneam)
    The Three Musketeers Twenty Years After The Vicomte of Bragelonne Ten Years Later Louise de la Valliere The Man in the Iron Mask (The Complete d'Artagnan Romances): Completed Second Edition by Alexandre Dumas (MarcusBrutus)
    Selected Short Stories [Penguin Popular Classics] by Guy de Maupassant (bokai)
    bokai: While Maupassant's power is in his slice of life short stories told in an objective narrative voice and Dumas is the master of the thousand page epic told (see more) in highly sympathetic narration, both authors evoke images of the same France and are unequaled in their skill at bringing character and conflict to life. A short by Maupassant is a great way to break up the lengthy prose of Dumas, and Dumas, in turn, expands and elaborates the world that Maupassant provides only glimpses of.… (more)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: The story of a man consumed by his obsession, but instead of revenge, Gatsby is chasing the American dream.
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both are adventure stories that take place over a number of years and deal with riches, revenge, and romance
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Kevin Reynolds (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Fascinating interpretation. Very free and very different. Really an independent work of art. If not superior to the novel, certainly not inferior to it either. Great script, superb cast, beautiful music, gorgeous production design.
    Gil Blas by Alain René Le Sage (roby72)
    The Queen of the South by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (lilisin)
    lilisin: "Queen of the South" is a modern retake on "The Count". Not my favorite read but you can definitely see the parallels.
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (joririchardson)
    The Stars' Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry (lizzybeans11)
    Shogun by James Clavell (ShaneTierney)

Europe (206)

English (299)  Spanish (7)  Italian (5)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Turkish (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (321)
I should have read the book before watching the movies. I was really disappointed with the ending of the book. Not what I expected at all. ( )
  RobinCripps | Jul 12, 2019 |
Grrrrr.... Chrome ate my review. I'll try again

This book seemed to go on endlessly, but it was a "good read", so to speak, so I didn't much mind.

Basically, it's the story of a young man who was imprisoned unjustly and forgotten for 14 years. He made an escape and became fabulously wealthy. Then he plotted and wreaked his revenge for the next ten years.

Dumas, it seems (first book of his I ever read), is a good observer of the human condition. The book is filled with little observations and aphorisms which are as true today as they were in early 18th century France.

I found some things about the ending a bit creepy, but I think that's mostly a difference between my 21st century sensibilities and those of a writer in a society almost two centuries removed from my own. ( )
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
peccato non avere qualche stelletta in più per il voto.. ne meriterebbe ancora!
Assolutamente da leggere.

elerwen | May 29, 2019 |
A flawed yet still worthwhile masterpiece that shows the prowess of Dumas in creating a character that seems, and feels, real. ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
What an absolute pleasure to read! This novel has it all - an entertaining & eminently readable plot that is beautifully written & structured and one that speaks of deep, eternal truths and themes. What took me so long to read it? Honestly, it was the length that held me back. Yes, it is a commitment, picking up a book that clocks in at almost 1300 pages. There is the fear that you will find yourself stuck in a book that weighs you down like an albatross. Never fear with this book, though! You will not regret it. Honestly, I could have kept on reading for another 500 pages. There were still characters I wanted to know more about.

Dumas reminds me of Dickens in that he is able to create an entire world, populated with distinct, interesting characters. Every character is unique and brings something to the plot, even the minor ones. Because the world created is so vivid, the length of the book becomes less of an issue and more of a plus. The reader is immersed in the story.

The melodramatic plot was right up my alley. I love novels where a lot happens. The Count of Monte Cristo has a bit of everything - murders, kidnappings, executions, trials, torture, secret love affairs, poisonings, revenge, bad seed children, severed tongues, slave girls, secret caves filled with gold & jewels, hidden passages in dungeons, daring prison escapes, fraud, secret disguises, blackmail, suicides, madness, infanticide....I know I am forgetting a lot but that list paints a partial picture.

I do have quibbles about this book. Nothing is perfect! I think the biggest bugaboo for me was the development of the female characters. It's hard, when reading a book written 175 years ago, not to have issues about how female characters are portrayed.

Obviously, the "perfect" female character to Dumas was meant to be Valentine. Meek, beautiful, virginal, innocent, caring of others, without any independent desires of her own. Basically, too good to be true. Still, Dumas is such an excellent writer, I liked her even though she wasn't very relatable.

Eugenie is supposed to be her exact opposite (of course still beautiful - every single main female character is physically stunning). Eugenie is outspoken, worldly, confident and desires to do something with her life - travel, be an artist, support herself, have adventures. I was sad that Dumas barely wrote of her except as a foil to Valentine. Still, I should be grateful, I suppose, that Dumas gives Eugenie a happy ending. She gets to cut off her hair, dress as a man, and run off to Italy with her lover Louise to seek her fortune as an artist. Yes, her lover Louise! I was surprised that Dumas created a lesbian character and didn't punish her.

Then there are the two wives - Madame Danglars and Madame Villefort. Neither wife is fully fleshed out as a character. Villefort is portrayed as the proverbial wicked stepmother and Danglars is the fallen woman whose is "used" before marriage and consequently can never be good or happy. The reader never even learns Madame Danglar's first name! The wives are mainly seen as pawns in Dantes' revenge plot. I felt no sympathy for Madame Villefort, she was such a nasty piece of work. I did think that Dumas was too harsh with Madame Danglars - I felt sorry for her and kept wanting to find out the backstory to her affair & subsequent pregnancy with Villefort. How did she end up with Danglars? Isn't that punishment enough for her transgressions?

The resolution to the Mercedes plot line drove me bonkers! I don't think it was fair of Dantes to accuse her of infidelity. What was she supposed to do as a 15 year old orphan with no money and no job skills and no family other than her creepy cousin Fernand? I think the only acceptable response in Dantes' mind was that she should have killed herself? That would be a sin though so.....maybe passively starve herself like Dantes' father? What options did she have other than marrying someone? There were very few jobs open to women at that time. Working as a servant seems the only option for a woman of her class. Well, that or prostitution. Neither of those choices are better than marriage. She had no idea Fernand had turned in Dantes yet she is still punished for it. Why didn't Dantes immediately go to Mercedes once he was free? Was it because he had matured and changed and was no longer the teenager he had been? Then why not allow Mercedes the excuse that she had matured and changed? I was sure - SURE- that at the end of the book Dantes would finally reunite with his true love Mercedes. Nope! She is TOO OLD for him now even though she is 39 when the book ends and Dantes is 42. Wha????? That's what she tells Dantes and his response is "Yeah, you are so right! I think I'm going to hook up with my 21 year old slave/adopted daughter instead." Cue retching sound and eye roll.

That leads me to the final main female character, Haydee. She is one big WTF. Dantes buys her in a slave market when she is 11, in order to further his revenge plot. Ok, sure, he is benevolent master, which isn't saying much since he is still a master of a slave! Dumas - over & over - talks about how Haydee looked at Dantes as both a father and a lover. Ewww. Those don't really go together well. I was very disappointed that Haydee didn't end up with Albert, Mercedes' son. In my perfect ending, Dantes & Mercedes would get married and Albert & Haydee would get married. Instead, Dantes & Haydee sail off into the sunset together.

Even with these complaints of mine, I still greatly enjoyed the book. I cannot stress how great this book is and how poorly I am able to transmit that in a feeble review of mine ( )
3 vote JulieLogan | May 1, 2019 |

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

Introduction
Alexandre Dumas was a force of nature.
On February 24, 1815, the lookout of Notre-Dame de la Garde signalled the three-master, the Pharaon, coming from Smyrna, Trieste, and Naples.
These should be the unabridged editions of The Count of Monte Cristo

blurb: This enduringly popular tale of live and vengeance in the post Napoleonic era follows Edmond Dantes as he prepares to captain his own ship and marry his beloved Mercedes. But on his wedding day, he is betrayed by spiteful enemies and arrested on trumped up charges. Condemned to lifelong imprisonment, he befriends Abbe Faria, a priest and fellow inmate with an escape plan. When Abbe Faria dies, Edmond escapes alone. Free at last, and incredibly wealthy, Edmond enters society posing as the brooding and mysterious count of Monte Cristo to reclaim his lost love and exact a terrible vengeance from his accusers.

Translated with an Introduction by Robin Buss.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:34 -0400)

Edmund Dantes, unjustly convicted of aiding the exiled Napoleon, escapes after fourteen years of imprisonment and seeks revenge in Paris.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102103, 1400108624

Skyhorse Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Skyhorse Publishing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,507,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible