The Count of Monte Cristo (Penguin Classics)…

The Count of Monte Cristo (Penguin Classics) (original 1844; edition 2003)

by Alexandre Dumas père

15,999302111 (4.34)4 / 1060
Member:booksandwine
Title:The Count of Monte Cristo (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Alexandre Dumas père
Info:Penguin Classics (2003), Paperback, 1312 pages
Rating:*****

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (1844)

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (caflores)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (rareflorida)
    rareflorida: An old SciFi classic based upon The Count of Monte Cristo. Be patient because the begining of the story may be frustrating but you will eventually see the intelligence.
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska, Baroness Orczy (SandSing7)
    The Black Tulip by Alexandre Dumas (2below)
    2below: These stories share some key themes and plot elements. It's not nearly as epic as The Count of Monte Cristo but makes for an interesting comparison.
    Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (VictoriaPL)
    Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand (VictoriaPL)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (MarcusBrutus)
    The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox (citygirl)
    citygirl: Another detailed, intricately plotted revenge tale.
    The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas (keeneam)
    Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott (SandSing7)
    Selected Short Stories [Penguin Classics] by Guy de Maupassant (bokai)
    bokai: While Maupassant's power is in his slice of life short stories told in an objective narrative voice and Dumas is the master of the thousand page epic told (see more) in highly sympathetic narration, both authors evoke images of the same France and are unequaled in their skill at bringing character and conflict to life. A short by Maupassant is a great way to break up the lengthy prose of Dumas, and Dumas, in turn, expands and elaborates the world that Maupassant provides only glimpses of.… (more)
    D'artagnan Romances, The (5 Volume Set: The Three Guardsman; Vicomte De Bragelonne; Ten Years Later; Louise de la Vallie by Alexandre Dumas (MarcusBrutus)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: The story of a man consumed by his obsession, but instead of revenge, Gatsby is chasing the American dream.
    Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both are adventure stories that take place over a number of years and deal with riches, revenge, and romance
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (joririchardson)
    Gil Blas by Alain René Le Sage (roby72)
    The Queen of the South by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (lilisin)
    lilisin: "Queen of the South" is a modern retake on "The Count". Not my favorite read but you can definitely see the parallels.
    The Stars' Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry (Pixelinchen, lizzybeans11)
    Pixelinchen: The Count of Monte Cristo in the British dotcom world of the 20th Century
    Shogun: A Novel of Japan by James Clavell (ShaneTierney)
    The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (keremix)

English (281)  Spanish (6)  Italian (5)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Turkish (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All (302)
I found this book an absolute slug to get through. At times I couldn't put it down (e.g. his stint in prison) and other times I could find every excuse in the world to not read it. Mostly the latter was my experience with the book and maybe because of the slow read, many stops, only reading it for minutes at a time, all contributed to me finding it a tough read. ( )
  rayski | May 22, 2017 |
I read this when I was young and though I didn't remember much, I remember really liking it.
I just read this again. I really enjoyed the writing style, once I got into it, but it is not an adventure novel and I was totally lost at the beginning.
This is an enjoyable novel of Parisian society. ( )
  kparr | May 2, 2017 |
Long but enjoyable ( )
  keithgordonvernon | May 1, 2017 |
The Count of Monte Cristo is a great story of love, friendship, revenge, and tragedy. I had years ago read a children's version of the book and as such knew only the bare bones of the story when I began reading. Alexandre Dumas created a grand story of Edmond Dantes but in many cases, has a roundabout way of getting to the point. In a couple of cases, I had to get some help with the text from sources because I was so confused about what was happening. It can drag and I thought to myself "Get ON with it!" However, once I got myself straight, I enjoyed the book immensely. There's more happiness to this book than I thought there would be. This is because this is the story about the betrayal, incarceration, and then escape of Edmond Dantes who then goes in pursuit of his enemies. He is not all hate though and he is a well fleshed out character. I'm really glad I read this book and recommend it even with the clunky parts. Just don't get it in your head that you can see the Jim Caviezel movie and know what goes on in the book because it doesn't match the book much at all.
  jeshakespeare | Apr 13, 2017 |
Esta obra es una muestra destacadísima de la inmensa genialidad de Dumas. ( )
  CarlosBazzano | Feb 21, 2017 |
Edmond Dantes je plemenit, lep, mladi mornar zaljubljen u predivnu Mercedes. Danglers koji želi da se dočepa njegovog zlata, Kaderus, lupež koji želi ličnu osvetu i zli general Mondego koji želi Mercedes za ženu, optužuju Edmunda za pljačku upravo na dan njegov venčanja i on biva zatvoren u zloglasni zatvor Sato D'if. Bežeci iz zatvora, na zabačenom ostrvu pronalazi ogromno blago. U Pariz se vraća kao bogati i misteriozni grof Monte Kristo. Kako bih isterao pravdu i sprao ljagu sa svog imena - uz pomoć tri nova i urnebesna prijatelja!

Dumas père, Alexandreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

On February 24, 1815, the watchtower at Marseilles signaled the arrival of the three-master Pharaon, coming from Smyrna, Trieste and Naples.
These should be the unabridged editions of The Count of Monte Cristo

blurb: This enduringly popular tale of live and vengeance in the post Napoleonic era follows Edmond Dantes as he prepares to captain his own ship and marry his beloved Mercedes. But on his wedding day, he is betrayed by spiteful enemies and arrested on trumped up charges. Condemned to lifelong imprisonment, he befriends Abbe Faria, a priest and fellow inmate with an escape plan. When Abbe Faria dies, Edmond escapes alone. Free at last, and incredibly wealthy, Edmond enters society posing as the brooding and mysterious count of Monte Cristo to reclaim his lost love and exact a terrible vengeance from his accusers.

Translated with an Introduction by Robin Buss.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:34 -0400)

Edmund Dantes, unjustly convicted of aiding the exiled Napoleon, escapes after fourteen years of imprisonment and seeks revenge in Paris.

5 2090

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102103, 1400108624

Skyhorse Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Skyhorse Publishing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,502,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible