The Count of Monte Cristo (Penguin Classics)…

The Count of Monte Cristo (Penguin Classics) (original 1844; edition 2003)

by Alexandre Dumas père

13,716239153 (4.35)4 / 881
Member:booksandwine
Title:The Count of Monte Cristo (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Alexandre Dumas père
Info:Penguin Classics (2003), Paperback, 1312 pages
Rating:*****

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (1844)

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (caflores)
    The Black Tulip by Alexandre Dumas (2below)
    2below: These stories share some key themes and plot elements. It's not nearly as epic as The Count of Monte Cristo but makes for an interesting comparison.
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (rareflorida)
    rareflorida: An old SciFi classic based upon The Count of Monte Cristo. Be patient because the begining of the story may be frustrating but you will eventually see the intelligence.
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (SandSing7)
    Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (VictoriaPL)
    Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand (VictoriaPL)
    The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas (keeneam)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: The story of a man consumed by his obsession, but instead of revenge, Gatsby is chasing the American dream.
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (MarcusBrutus)
    The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox (citygirl)
    citygirl: Another detailed, intricately plotted revenge tale.
    Ivanhoe by Walter Scott (SandSing7)
    Selected Short Stories (Penguin Classics) by Guy de Maupassant (bokai)
    bokai: While Maupassant's power is in his slice of life short stories told in an objective narrative voice and Dumas is the master of the thousand page epic told (see more) in highly sympathetic narration, both authors evoke images of the same France and are unequaled in their skill at bringing character and conflict to life. A short by Maupassant is a great way to break up the lengthy prose of Dumas, and Dumas, in turn, expands and elaborates the world that Maupassant provides only glimpses of.… (more)
    D'artagnan Romances, The (5 Volume Set: The Three Guardsman; Vicomte De Bragelonne; Ten Years Later; Louise de la Vallie by Alexandre Dumas (MarcusBrutus)
    Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both are adventure stories that take place over a number of years and deal with riches, revenge, and romance
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (joririchardson)
    Gil Blas by Alain René Le Sage (roby72)
    The Queen of the South by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (lilisin)
    lilisin: "Queen of the South" is a modern retake on "The Count". Not my favorite read but you can definitely see the parallels.
    The Stars' Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry (Pixelinchen, lizzybeans11)
    Pixelinchen: The Count of Monte Cristo in the British dotcom world of the 20th Century
    Shogun: A Novel of Japan by James Clavell (ShaneTierney)
    The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (keremix)

English (223)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Turkish (1)  All languages (239)
Wow! What a romper stomper this was. Pretty much from the very first page you’re thrown into a torrent of narrative that affords you barely enough time to attempt to swim for the bank before you reach the end of this mammoth novel. But despite the fact that the unabridged version (i.e. the ONLY version worth reading) is well over 1000 pages, it’s a pretty fast read the story is so well told.

Prior to starting, I’d recommend heading to Wikipedia to check up on Napoleon Bonaparte and the political history surrounding his return from exile and, eventually, the restoration of the monarchy. Once you’ve got an outline of that in your head, you’ll be able to understand the issues surrounding the arrest and imprisonment of Edmund Dante. Apart from this, there’s really nothing else you could do to prepare yourself, except perhaps settle into a lovely warm bath or an armchair by the fire.

The imprisonment takes up probably the first third of the novel. How

he gets out of this predicament is something you’ll have to find out for yourself. But once out, Edmund spends the rest of the novel exacting slow, sweet revenge. And although this is drawn out over hundreds and hundreds of pages, the pace doesn’t really lag at all. To fully enjoy this part of the novel, it’s best to get a good grip on the characters who combine to set him up and imprison him in the first place. If you do that, the revenge is almost as satisfying for you as it is for Dante. And it ends in quite an unexpected way.

I listened to this as an audio book I bought off iTunes which, unabridged, was over 50 hours long. Andrew Timothy has a superb voice and paced the reading perfectly in my opinion. I’ll recall his voice as lending ambiance to the whole novel whenever I see a copy of this anywhere. At only £7.95, that purchase was an amazing bargain.

As you can see from my rating chart below, this was a very well-rounded novel. In fact, it was one of the best well-rounded novels I’ve read for a long time and, for my money, Dumas’ best on the 1001 list. ( )
1 vote arukiyomi | Aug 23, 2014 |
I’m glad I finally read this book: I loved working my way through it, and I wish I’d read it much sooner.

This was a long read, though. Dumas definitely takes a sprawling approach to this tale of wrongful imprisonment and subsequent revenge: some parts took their time to become relevant to the main plot, but even those were entertaining to read (e.g. Franz and Albert gallivanting around during the Carnival in Rome, Benedetto’s backstory, or the tale of Luigi Vampa the bandit). Eventually, though, he plugs all diversions into the main storyline. As the book goes on, the plot speeds up and converges tightly onto its central premise, and you find out that all the digressions were more than worth it. The book even answers the question of what happens after the revenge is complete, which not many revenge tales do.

One of the reasons I liked this so much is that it made effective use of some of my favourite adventure tropes. For one, there’s the basic “unfairly accused innocent exacts a carefully planned revenge” plot. Dumas also includes an uninhabited island; a faked death, complete with a corpse-that-is-really-asleep (and bonus points for accomplishing this by means of a potion); the digging of a secret passageway; a sweet polly oliver; a challenge to a duel; a hidden treasure; a courtroom trial with dramatic revelations; a character’s covered-up indiscretions that come back to bite them; the bullied kid who later in life shows off their massive superiority over their one-time bullies; and so on.

And it isn’t just these tropes (cool and evergreen though they may be) that made this book such an entertaining read for me; it’s their measured use among long dialogues and pieces of character development.

One of my favourite scenes is the one where the Count has assembled some of his enemies at his house in Auteuil for dinner, and serves them rare fish from two small lakes countries apart. First he has two of his international guests explain to the rest why those fish are so rare; then he amazes them by telling them how he transported live fish to Paris from their remote locations, acknowledging that he got the idea from the ancient Romans who did this on a lesser scale and then decided to one-up the Ancients. This establishes his exoticness, his extravagance, his delicate taste, and his practical cleverness, all of which surpass that of his guests; at the same time it’s an unsubtle demonstration that he’s better-travelled than they will ever be, wealthy beyond their dreams, multilingual, and well-read in the Ancients; his interests and his lifestyle are leaps beyond their daily life. Yet the count himself eats nothing of the meal, driving home the point that all the meticulous planning -- either rare fish is known to one of the guests -- and the extravagant expenses incurred were for showing off to these specific guests only: the count is vastly superior to them all, more accomplished than they had imagined was possible up till then. He wants them to be mightily impressed, and he wants them to realize this. It’s at this point that he casually reminds some of his enemies of the dirty secrets they covered up in the past, sowing seeds of anxiety as a subtle punishment for their misdeeds.

The whole scene is shameless wish-fulfillment, but I loved every word of it.

Another thing I liked very much about this book is that several characters (well, the ones that count) are not pitted against each other as black-vs-white morality pawns; there’s much more of a gray-on-gray morality present here, which makes the characters stand out more against their background and against more straightforward characters. This goes for the count himself (but more on that later), but also for Caderousse, Mercédès, Albert de Morcerf, and Mme de Villefort, to name but a few.

To be fair, though, some parts I disliked. Some of the subplots relevant to the main plot later on do take a long time to become so, and while they pay off later, it may initially feel like a bit of a slog. Then there’s the cultural superiority that pervades the text: exoticized Oriental cultures are consistently portrayed as superior to Parisian bourgeois lifestyles; Italians are reduced to curious carnivals and exotic bands of charming bandits living in their ancestor’s ruins; and Christianity is a given, to the point of including a drawn-out deathbed conversion.

Also, Dumas has his characters display some attitudes that are rather problematic. Sometimes these (intentionally?) add to character depth, but that excuse cannot be given across the board. For one thing, the count is unapologetic about owning slaves, who, of course, love being in his service (to the point of refusing to be set free), and about getting a kick out of the life-or-death power he has over them. One of them, a black muslim named Ali, he saved halfway through a cruel punishment -- after his tongue had been cut out but before he was decapitated -- but the count intentionally did not step in sooner because he claims to always have wanted a mute slave. Our hero, everyone! His other slave, a girl named Haydée who he raises from age 11, falls in love with her father figure, the only adult male she’s exposed to. Also troubling is the attitude of and about several female characters that it’s noble for them to die if they are no longer attached to a male guardian -- Mercédes is a case in point: her marriage to someone else after she believes her fiancé to be gone forever is presented as unfaithfulness and betrayal by all involved, including herself, and at one point she comments that it would have been better had she died instead of turning her back on one she believed lost. In addition, while the men are off doing things and talking shop, the women faint regularly, wring their hands in indecision, tragically resign themselves to their fate, and assume beautiful and/or dramatic poses when an observer enters the room. Admirable exceptions to all this are, of course, Mlle Eugenie Danglars, who I like to think of as a lesbian, and who makes her own decisions, and Mme. Héloise de Villefort.

But I can accept digressions and attitudes towards other cultures and towards women as a sign of the times -- the book is some 170 years old, after all. Overall, then, I can honestly say that loved this wonderfully complex and sprawling novel for the sheer grand-scale revenge fantasy it is. ( )
  Petroglyph | Aug 20, 2014 |
The Count of Monte Cristo has been one of my favorite novels since my early teens. While it is a romance novel, the qualities that appealed to me upon first reading, and to this day, are its historical detail set as it is in the midst of the Napoleonic era and the portrayal of justice and injustice. Above all it is a tale of revenge and retribution that leads from historical detail to a world of magic, fabulous treasure buried on a deserted island, of bandits and dark intrigue, and of wizardry and splendors borrowed from the Arabian nights. I have been enamored of superheroes and the fearless Monte Cristo was one of the first I encountered as he overcomes all the odds. A master of disguise, he has the secret of all knowledge, immense physical strength, endless resourcefulness, and complete power to punish the wicked. There are few heroes outside of comic books that rival The Count of Monte Cristo. Writers as disparate as Swinburne and Thackeray were both enthralled reading the exploits of Dumas' famous count. Above all Dumas was a great story teller and this is perhaps the main reason that he was popular throughout Europe in his day and his stories continue to appeal to readers and moviegoers (the recent, 2002, film version with Jim Caviezel as Edmond Dantes is splendid and captures the essence of the revenge story).

In addition to the above-listed qualities The Count of Monte Cristo is not just an exciting tale of adventure and revenge, not only an historical fiction. Edmond Dantes has been wrongfully accused, convicted, and imprisoned in the Chateau D'if, an infamous island prison. His story is a psychological portrayal of obsession of the highest order and at the same time a paean to the value of education. The last item is the one I remember the most from my many readings of this magnificent tale of precipitous decline, betrayal and ultimate rise with vengeance at hand. It is the "plan of education" that Edmond Dantes completes under the tutelage of the elderly Abbe while imprisoned in the Chateau d'If that impresses me more than any other aspect of this tale. The Abbe tells him that "to learn is not to know; there are the learners and the learned. Memory makes the one, philosophy the other." Dantes enters upon a regimen of learning and swiftly begins to learn principles of mathematics and to understand several different languages. That he does use this knowledge in a way that belies the notion that he was gaining true wisdom seems to be the case, but the reader must traverse many hundreds of pages of exciting adventure before he can judge one way or the other. Whatever Dantes' eventual fate, the story that provides the exhilarating ride for the reader makes this a great book to read, and if your mind is like mine, to reread. ( )
  jwhenderson | Jul 24, 2014 |
I LOVE the classics, and this was no different. Dumas creates a wonderful cast of characters that you can both love and loath. He can get a little carried away in the details at times, but it is more than forgivable, especially when you take into consideration how he wraps up the story and brings everything full circle. Not quite as good as The Three Musketeers, in my opinion, but still quite excellent. A must read! ( )
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
One of the best books ever written. Mesmerizing, well written. So good, in fact, that I bought my son a two volume high quality set in the original French. I cannot give enough praise to this work. It has been six years since I read this book and I seem to recall it as though I put it down yesterday. Yes, it's that good. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
Edmond Dantes je plemenit, lep, mladi mornar zaljubljen u predivnu Mercedes. Danglers koji želi da se dočepa njegovog zlata, Kaderus, lupež koji želi ličnu osvetu i zli general Mondego koji želi Mercedes za ženu, optužuju Edmunda za pljačku upravo na dan njegov venčanja i on biva zatvoren u zloglasni zatvor Sato D'if. Bežeci iz zatvora, na zabačenom ostrvu pronalazi ogromno blago. U Pariz se vraća kao bogati i misteriozni grof Monte Kristo. Kako bih isterao pravdu i sprao ljagu sa svog imena - uz pomoć tri nova i urnebesna prijatelja!
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

On February 24, 1815, the watchtower at Marseilles signaled the arrival of the three-master Pharaon, coming from Smyrna, Trieste and Naples.
These should be the unabridged editions of The Count of Monte Cristo

blurb: This enduringly popular tale of live and vengeance in the post Napoleonic era follows Edmond Dantes as he prepares to captain his own ship and marry his beloved Mercedes. But on his wedding day, he is betrayed by spiteful enemies and arrested on trumped up charges. Condemned to lifelong imprisonment, he befriends Abbe Faria, a priest and fellow inmate with an escape plan. When Abbe Faria dies, Edmond escapes alone. Free at last, and incredibly wealthy, Edmond enters society posing as the brooding and mysterious count of Monte Cristo to reclaim his lost love and exact a terrible vengeance from his accusers.

Translated with an Introduction by Robin Buss.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:53 -0400)

Thrown in prison for a crime he has not committed, Edmond Dantes is confined to the grim fortress of If. There he learns of a great hoard of treasure hidden on the Isle of Monte Cristo and he becomes determined not only to escape, but also to unearth the treasure and use it to plot the destruction of the three men responsible for his incarceration. Dumas' epic tale of suffering and retribution, inspired by a real life case of wrongful imprisonment, was a huge popular succes when it was first serialized in the 1840s.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,349,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible