Creating the not so big house : insights and…

Creating the not so big house : insights and ideas for the new American… (original 2000; edition 2000)

by Sarah Susanka

Member:hailelib
Title:Creating the not so big house : insights and ideas for the new American home
Authors:Sarah Susanka
Info:Newtown, CT : [Emeryville, CA] : Taunton Press ; Distributed by Publishers Group West, c2000.
Collections:Read but unowned, Challenge Books, 2012 Books Read
Tags:houses, not so big, 12in12

Creating the Not So Big House: Insights and Ideas for the New American Home by Sarah Susanka (2000)

Recently added byMarginNJ, kerrygiven, RENRIGHT, ohdrat, delbertmills, KevinmQAZ, private library, AIAFW, trusteelib

Another in Susanka's Not So Big books, this one is from 2000 and therefore is not her latest. While there are some interesting houses featured and even a very small condo in New York City I didn't feel that I learned as much from this book as I did from her book on remodeling a home to better fit the 'not so big' philosophy. I would recommend it mostly to those who haven't seen her other books in the series. The most interesting part was at the end where the same generic plan was used as a starting point for two very different houses. One was the Back to Basics version and other she called The Whole Nine Yards version. Although the WNY house was only 400 square feet larger it cost nearly twice as much to build. Yet both were clearly livable for their families.
  hailelib | Jun 22, 2012 |
A great resource for ideas. I didn't realize when I put it on hold at the library that it's a book of house plans, addressing the question many people had after reading Susanka's first book - "how can I get a house like this?". There are 25 plans, each with six to ten pages of photos and texts of actual houses, showing the details that can't be portrayed on a floor plan. This sequel is also an opportunity for Susanka to expand upon, and illustrate further, the ideas of sheltering about activity, interior and diagonal views, that she presented in the first book.

Even though I'm remodeling rather than building from scratch, this was a good read; there are a few remodeling projects in it; our house is less than 1,000 square feet, but I was able to jot down lots of ways we could use built-ins and create alcoves within an existing footprint.
  kirstenn | Aug 8, 2010 |
pretty
  Kaethe | May 23, 2008 |
With gratitude to all my teachers
There's a tremendous power to naming ideas and concepts.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,348,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible