Goddess by Fiona McIntosh

by Fiona McIntosh

Member:quigui
Title:Goddess
Authors:Fiona McIntosh
Info:New York : Eos, 2009.
Collections:Your library, Owned, Recs
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Percheron, Odalisques, Religion, Ottoman inspired, Fantasy, Eunuchs, Harem, Mythology, Gods, Desert, Political, Death

Goddess by Fiona Mcintosh

Throughout this series I've had a problem. My problem is that when I read 'Percheron' I picture a breed of draft horse, and it's really disturbing. By Book 3 it's getting easier to put that aside, but really, would it have killed you to make up a word that wasn't already a Thing? Really??

But still. Apart from that... Clever resolution to the Goddess' problem here. Shame it had to come at the cost of betraying pretty much every single character's trust and faith. It was unjust, I hated it, and it made me sort of disgustedly angry and want to throw the book across the room. I won't be re-reading it, because there's enough things in reality that make me angry as it is.

Well-written but disappointing, frankly. ( )
  Uffer | Sep 4, 2013 |
PERCHERON
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
The end of the series, Zar Boaz is preparing for the Galinsean war fleet, Spur Lazar is determined to stay with his adopted country, to rescue Zaradine Ana and to keep alive. The Grand Vizier Tariq is working at winning the war he has been embroiled in for centuries.

There are a lot of varied characters in this but I didn't find that there were enough voices. It's interesting but I didn't engage as much as I wish I could have. Not a bad read or a bad conclusion but not as good as it possibly could have been. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Aug 3, 2010 |
In the finial book Percheron and Galinsea are likely to be at war as the Royal emissary, Zaradine Ana, was abducted by the Lyana fanatic, Afratanz. Afratanz intention is to put Ana’s son on the throne of Percheron and change the religious beliefs of the nation.

Lazar as predicted rescues his beloved Ana and ultimately saves Percheron from Galinsea. The twist of who is Lyana, considering Ana gave birth to a son, unless Lyana has taken the male form again.

I have to say that I was disappointed that Maliz was vanquished in the Epilogue. McIntosh would have served the reader better by writing a fourth book.

I loved the character of Lazar the strong yet heart broken man. However the tenderness of Afrantanz towards Ana was in some ways a more likable character. One of the most interesting characters for me was Valide Herezah a strong and intelligent woman, who goes through the largest character development through out the three books. Her story alone could make an interesting read. Her past and how she would raise Ana’s son Lac to be the Zar of Percheron. ( )
  LalaLibrary | Jul 4, 2010 |
I found myself disappointed with this book. And I'd really quite liked the first two books.

Part of that was that for the most part the characters failed to surprise me, even the parts that were supposed to surprise me (like the Emperor being on the barge) didn't, I just felt they were obvious.

That said I also felt obscurely let down because although the Goddess wins (good), and she wins in a peculiarly Daoist fashion (also good) this totally undermines the build up in the story, and left me feeling cheated at the time, and still (over a week later) unsatisfied.

It's an ending, and it's workmanlike, but uninspired which is a shame. ( )
1 vote lewispike | Jul 9, 2009 |

Zar Boaz finds himself trapped by both his heart and his head. Though he can think of nothing but Ana, imprisoned in the desert, his country is on the brink of war and his Spur is helpless. Hatching a daring plan, he calls for Percheron's strongest to make one more pilgrimage into the desert, even as warships threaten Percheron's harbor, and the Goddess reaches the crest of her ascent, throwing all parties—mortal and divine—into a perilous battle for their hearts, their lives, and their souls.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:02 -0400)

"The city-state of Percheron is in crisis. Zaradine Ana has been captured by the mysterious Arafanz and his desert warriors and is being held in their isolated fort. It is also suspected that she is pregnant with Zar Boaz's son, the heir to the throne . . . Though Lazar has made it out of the desert, his heroics in bringing the Valide and Grand Vizier to safety have cost him. Afflicted with the drezden illness that befalls him when he is weak, he is too sick to move from his bed, when help comes from an unexpected source . . . Zar Boaz finds himself trapped by both his heart and his head. Though he can think of nothing but Ana, imprisoned in the desert, his country is on the brink of war and his Spur is helpless. Hatching a daring plan, he calls for Percheron's strongest to make one more pilgrimage into the desert, even as warships threaten Percheron's harbor, and the Goddess reaches the crest of her ascent, throwing all parties--mortal and divine--into a perilous battle for their hearts, their lives, and their souls."--BOOK JACKET… (more)

Eos

An edition of this book was published by Eos.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,635,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible