dismiss

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

The Wise Man's Fear (2011)

by Patrick Rothfuss

Series: The Kingkiller Chronicle (2)

7,403323832 (4.35)1 / 299
Kvothe takes his first steps on the path of the hero as he attempts to uncover the truth about the mysterious Amyr, the Chandrian, and the death of his parents. Along the way, Kvothe is put on trial by the legendary Adem mercenaries, forced to reclaim the honor of the Edema Ruh, and travels into the Fae realm where he meets Felurian, the faerie woman no man can resist.… (more)

English (316)  Spanish (5)  All languages (321)
3.5 stars.

I basically liked everything that didn't involve Felurian (I dislike fae) or Denna (she annoys the living hell out of me), sadly that only left about half the book. No wonder it took me over two months to read this. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
Whew...that was a long one. Certainly not a bad, but a long, long one.

I enjoyed the story quite a bit, however, I'm having trouble finding the "magic". It's hard to put my finger on it, as the main character is a fantastic storyteller, but something is off. Perhaps because the story isn't complete yet, it's hard to pin-point.

I'm using the spoiler tag because this speaks to events in the second book, but it's a fear I have for the ending.

Several times throughout the book (actually both books) the main character tells a story and just stops. He has said many times that the Edema Ruh tell stories to just entertain each other. I fear that is the case with this book. Is it possible that Kvothe is feeding his own legend with false tales? Yes, though PR could have also left those tidbits as red herrings. Very tricky indeed.
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
I loved this book. Rothfuss did an amazing job continuing the stories from book 1 over to book 2. It was great getting to see more of Kvothes past, and getting hints at what is going to happen in book 3.

I was glad to see more of the Fae in this book, even if it were just 2 creatures. And the sword tree? That was unexpected, but a nice touch.

Like the last book, my only complaint is the arrogance of young Kvothe. There's only so much you can take of the main character being a braggart until you come to despise him. Thankfully that fades away. ( )
  tebyen | May 27, 2020 |
Not a fantasy book, at least not what I had expected anyway.

A boring, incoherent chronicle of an over-competent teen might have been a better title. It was actually some disjoint stories strung together in a very, very clumsy manner - and though I liked Kvothe the supporting characters were very, very superficial.

Pausing the fantasy genre for a while, thanks to Kingkiller Chronicles (and Patrick Rothfuss). ( )
  MahiShafiullah | May 25, 2020 |
Really enjoyed this book. Very hard to put down. Extremely ready for book 3 to be in my hands right now. ( )
  USFJoyGirl | May 17, 2020 |
Rothfuss takes to the Hero’s Journey with a passion and depth that routinely turns the trite into the transcendent.
added by Aerrin99 | editOnion AV Club, Zack Handlen (Mar 17, 2011)

Rothfuss works all the well-worn conventions of the genre, with a shadow cloak here and a stinging sword there and lots of wizardry throughout, blending a thoroughly prosaic prose style with the heft-of-tome ambitions of a William T. Vollmann. This is a great big book indeed, but not much happens—which, to judge by the success of its predecessor, will faze readers not a whit.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribeiro, VeraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my patient fans, for reading the blog and telling me what they really want is an excellent book, even if it takes a little longer.

To my clever beta readers, for their invaluable help and toleration of my paranoid secrecy.

To my fabulous agent, for keeping the wolves from the door in more ways than one.

To my wise editor, for giving me the time and space to write a book that fills me with pride.

To my loving family, for supporting me and reminding me that leaving the house every once in a while is a good thing.

To my understanding girlfriend, for not leaving me when the stress of endless revision made me frothy and monstrous.

To my sweet baby, for loving his daddy even though I have to go away and write all the time. Even when we're having a really great time. Even when we're talking about ducks.
Dawn was coming. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Deutsche Ausgabe wurde in 2 Teile geteilt

Patrick Rothfuss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,475,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible