The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller…

The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two (Kingkiller… (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Patrick Rothfuss

3,9291881,310 (4.34)1 / 226
Member:bj
Title:The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two (Kingkiller Chronicles)
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:DAW Trade (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 1008 pages
Collections:Your library, audiobooks
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy, read 2012, audiobook 2012

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (2011)

Recently added byjrrrheard, ShayRoberts, fbswss, KarenRendall, private library, pcsaust, mpeck94, bur0030, chantalarwen

English (182)  Spanish (6)  All languages (188)
This is book two in Rothfuss' Kingkiller series, in which legendary-hero-turned-anonymous-innkeeper Kvothe narrates his life story. This volume is even longer than the already-hefty first book, at a whopping 1,100 pages. And, like the first book, it's told in an extremely leisurely way that nevertheless managed to hold my attention surprisingly well. Although I do hope the next one doesn't continue the trend by being longer still, as I think 1,100 pages is pushing it. Oddly, though, my one big complaint is that there are some major things it leaves out: there are two separate points in the story where what seem like some of the most dramatic events get skimmed over in a couple of paragraphs. There is some more-or-less reasonable justification for the main character wanting to skip over that stuff, and maybe Rothfuss is deliberately trying to make some point about what parts of the traditional fantasy hero story he actually wants to tell, but it's still really jarring, and makes for a rather graceless break in the narrative that takes a while to recover from.

Still, that and a few other quibbles aside, it continues to be good stuff, if you like this kind of fantasy and have the patience for it. Both the character of Kvothe and the world he lives in are becoming steadily more interesting to me, and I will definitely be on board for the next volume, whenever it comes out. ( )
  bragan | Apr 12, 2015 |
Thoughts: The library had a brand new copy!! (I love when that happens). At 994 pages, I thought that Rothfuss would be able to move the plot along more than he actually did. The book picks up where Kvothe left off in his story to the Chronicler in book 1. He is still at the University, still trying to make money, and still fighting with Ambrose. Due to circumstances, Kvothe takes a leave from the University to travel to Vintas, in hopes of finding a patronage. He is sent on an adventure to rid the King's Road of bandits. This is the beginning of how Kvothe has become such a legend. When things run their course in Vintas, he head's back to the University, a bit more grown than when he left.
I felt their was a lack of character development and plot movement. Kvothe's time with Felurian was out of place and boring. However, I did not dislike the book. His time at the University and with the Maer were interesting. I just hope the third book does not bomb, and I am less eager to pick it up than I was The Wise Man's Fear. ( )
  jayde1599 | Feb 19, 2015 |
I really really wanted to enjoy this book more than I did.

Firstly, Rothfuss's writing is beautiful, I really love his style but the content of this second installment really fell short.

At the end of The Name Of The Wind, I was left with so many burning questions like: What happened to Kvothe in the present? Who is Bast? Will Kvothe ever get the girl, Denna? Will he get expelled from the University? Will he ever avenge his parents against the Chandrian?

None of these questions were answered for me and I felt the book dragged forever. It showed as 1108 pages on my e-reader and because it did not leave me on the edge of my seat, wanting to desperately find out what happened next, it took me ages to read.

The book did not start to annoy me until it hit the Felarian part where Kvothe spends ages with a fae sex addict, having sex constantly and doing little else. After he gets away with a 'shaed' (which is a magical cloak sewn from moonlight), he precedes to have sex with any woman that will have him - I found it all in very poor taste and not to mention completely random.

The Denna storyline was very annoying as well - she just seems to show up randomly with many different men who she procedes to run away from when they want more from her after giving her many expensive gifts. Is she a whore? High class escort or what? Is she really so dim that she thinks men just want to be a true and honest friend to her and is shocked when they want romance? I just don't get it. I really don't understand what she adds to the story seeing as the reader is told she is integral to the story.

All in all, I feel like all the best bits are being left to the third installment which will probably be double the length of this book. George R R Martin is guilty of this as well, but I am sick of middle installments of books that are just full of fluff to pad the story out and give so little plot. ( )
  KittyBimble | Feb 12, 2015 |
Waiting for upcoming books is going to be awful now that I've read the first two in quick succession! ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
If you had asked me when I was on page 200, I would have told you to skip it. This thing has the longest, most boring beginning ever, with endless descriptions of tuition payments and money-earning, one painful penny at a time.

Luckily, once the author decided to inject a little plot into the proceedings, the pace picked up tremendously. There has been some snickering about the fairy-sex portion of the book and I was fully expecting to hate it. But, really, it wasn't that bad. The sequence of events actually drove forward much of the character development, and given that Kvothe is a flatter character than you would expect given the life he led, this was a very good thing indeed.

I'm still not in love with this series. It needed tighter editing. (Does anyone know if fantasy presses even employ editors anymore? It sure doesn't feel like it.) The writing and plot are uneven and the author falls too much into the trap of thinking what makes an epic "epic" is purely length. But he regained my interest in the last 2/3rds of the book, and I will read the third. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
Rothfuss takes to the Hero’s Journey with a passion and depth that routinely turns the trite into the transcendent.
added by Aerrin99 | editOnion AV Club, Zack Handlen (Mar 17, 2011)

Rothfuss works all the well-worn conventions of the genre, with a shadow cloak here and a stinging sword there and lots of wizardry throughout, blending a thoroughly prosaic prose style with the heft-of-tome ambitions of a William T. Vollmann. This is a great big book indeed, but not much happens—which, to judge by the success of its predecessor, will faze readers not a whit.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my patient fans, for reading the blog and telling me what they really want is an excellent book, even if it takes a little longer.

To my clever beta readers, for their invaluable help and toleration of my paranoid secrecy.

To my fabulous agent, for keeping the wolves from the door in more ways than one.

To my wise editor, for giving me the time and space to write a book that fills me with pride.

To my loving family, for supporting me and reminding me that leaving the house every once in a while is a good thing.

To my understanding girlfriend, for not leaving me when the stress of endless revision made me frothy and monstrous.

To my sweet baby, for loving his daddy even though I have to go away and write all the time. Even when we're having a really great time. Even when we're talking about ducks.
Dawn was coming. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Deutsche Ausgabe wurde in 2 Teile geteilt

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756404738, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, March 2011: The Wise Man's Fear continues the mesmerizing slow reveal of the story of Kvothe the Bloodless, an orphaned actor who became a fearsome hero before banishing himself to a tiny town in the middle of Newarre. The readers of Patrick Rothfuss's outstanding first book, The Name of the Wind, which has gathered both a cult following and a wide readership in the four years since it came out, will remember that Kvothe promised to tell his tale of wonder and woe to Chronicler, the king's scribe, in three days. The Wise Man's Fear makes up day two, and uncovers enough to satisfy readers and make them desperate for the full tale, from Kvothe's rapidly escalating feud with Ambrose to the shockingly brutal events that mark his transformation into a true warrior, and to his encounters with Felurian and the Adem. Rothfuss remains a remarkably adept and inventive storyteller, and Kvothe's is a riveting tale about a boy who becomes a man who becomes a hero and a killer, spinning his own mythology out of the ether until he traps himself within it. Drop everything and read these books. --Daphne Durham

Author One-on-One: Patrick Rothfuss and Brandon Sanderson
In an exclusive interview for Amazon.com, epic fantasy authors Patrick Rothfuss (The Wise Man's Fear) and Brandon Sanderson (Towers of Midnight) sat down to discuss collaborating with publishers, dealing with success, and what goes into creating and editing their work.

Rothfuss: Heya Brandon.

Sanderson: Hey there, Pat. Nice talking with you again.

Rothfuss: Thanks for being willing to do this. I know you're insanely busy these days.

Okay. Let me just jump right in here with a question. How long was Way of Kings? I heard a rumor that the ARC I read was 400,000 words long. It didn't really feel like it…

Sanderson: Let me see. I will open it right now and word count it, so you have an exact number. It’s 386,470 words, though the version you read was an advance manuscript, before I did my final 10% tightening draft, which was 423,557 words.

I didn’t really want it to be that long. At that length we’re running into problems with foreign publishers having to split it and all sorts of issues with making the paperback have enough space. I didn’t set out to write a thousand-page, 400,000-word book. It’s just what the novel demanded.

Rothfuss: Wise Man's Fear ended up being 395,000 words. And that's despite the fact that I've been pruning it back at every opportunity for more than a year. I'd spend weeks trimming superfluous words and phrases, extra lines of dialogue, slightly redundant description until the book was 12,000 words shorter.

Then a month later I'd realize I needed to add a scene to bring better resolution to a plot line. Then I'd add a couple paragraphs to clarify some some character interaction. Then I'd expand an action scene to improve tension. Suddenly the book's 8,000 words longer again.

Sanderson: Yeah, that’s exactly how it goes.

It’s very rare that I’m able to cut entire scenes. If I can cut entire scenes that means there’s something fundamentally not working with the sequence and I usually end up tossing the whole thing and rewriting it. But trimming, or pruning as you described it, works very well with my fiction.

I can usually cut fifteen percent off just by nurturing the text, pruning it, looking for the extraneous words and phrases. But I wonder if in doing that there’s a tendency to compensate. There’s a concept in dieting that if someone starts working out really hard, they start to say, “Well, that means I can now eat more,” and you’ll find people compensating for the extra calorie loss by eating more because they feel they can. I wonder if we do that with our fiction. I mean, I will get done with this big long trim and I’ll say, “Great, now I have the space to do this extra thing that I really think the story needs,” and then the story ends up going back to just as long.

Though at least in my case I can blame my editor too. He’s very good with helping me with line edits, but where we perhaps fuel each other in the wrong way is that he’ll say, “Ooh, it’d be awesome if you add this,” or “This scene needs this,” or “Can you explain this?” And I say, “Yes! I can explain that. I’d love to!” And then of course the book gets longer and then we both have to go to Tom Doherty with our eyes downward saying, “Um, the book is really long again, Tom. Sorry.”

I have a question for you, then. Did you always intend the Kingkiller Chronicle to be three days split across three books? Or did you start writing it as one book and then split it? What’s the real story behind that?

Rothfuss: Assuming I had any sort of plan at the beginning is a big mistake. I just started writing. I didn't have a plan. I didn't know what I was doing.

For years and years I just thought of it as The Book in my head. I've always thought of it as one big story. Then, eventually I realized it would need to be broken up into volumes.

I can't say why I picked three books except that three is a good number. It's sort of the classic number. And while the story is working well in this format, part of me wishes I'd broken it into smaller chunks. This second book has so many plotlines. If I'd written this trilogy as say, 10 books, each one would be much shorter and self contained. More like the Dresden Files.

That's pointless musing though. I'm sure if I'd written smaller volumes right now I'd be thinking, "Oh! if only I'd written these as longer books I could play more with interwoven plot lines…"

Read the full interview

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:50 -0400)

Kvothe takes his first steps on the path of the hero as he attempts to uncover the truth about the mysterious Amyr, the Chandrian, and the death of his parents. Along the way, Kvothe is put on trial by the legendary Adem mercenaries, forced to reclaim the honor of the Edema Ruh, and travels into the Fae realm where he meets Felurian, the faerie woman no man can resist.… (more)

Patrick Rothfuss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,602,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible