The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller…

The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two (Kingkiller… (edition 2012)

by Patrick Rothfuss

3,5901771,471 (4.34)1 / 209
Member:bj
Title:The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two (Kingkiller Chronicles)
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:DAW Trade (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 1008 pages
Collections:Your library, audiobooks
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy, read 2012, audiobook 2012

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

English (171)  Spanish (6)  All languages (177)
I'm really enjoying Rothfuss' series. I can feel him maturing as a writer as he completes it. On the surface, his hero is super-human. He lands a contract with the richest man in the world. Hunts down an evil super-being (who also killed his family), becomes the mortal lover of the fae queen and leaves her, rescues kidnapped children all while making music and excelling at the university.

The sub-plots are focused on limits, weaknesses, and frailty. I like these and where Rothfuss is pushing the tale, but ultimately I can't be confident that he can reconcile these themes with the wild hyperbole that is his protagonist.

That said, I'm on board and hooked so see how he tries to pull it out. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
The second book in the King Killer trilogy, this book continues Kvothe's life. Rothfuss' intricately developed world is set as a backdrop for an epic of an adventure. While we learn more of Kvothe's past we are left wondering what caused him to become a homely bartender. Also, by the end of the book, you'll be left wondering how Rothfuss could fit what else has to be said in one book. READ IT. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
In The Wise Man's Fear Kvothe continues to tell his life story to Chronicler. I thought it was just as entertaining and exciting as the first book, and I can't wait for the release of book three!

There is quite a bit more going on in this part of Kvothe's story. Kvothe spends a lot of time traveling throughout the country in search of answers about the Chandrian and the Amyr. He meets new people in the Kingdom of Vintas including Maer Alverson and Bredon, and learns about their culture and customs. He also travels to see the Adem, after meeting Tempi, where he learns about their unique way of communicating, their way of life, and their fighting style. Additionally, Kvothe travels to the Fae, which was rather entertaining, but I don't want to give too much away. It was very interesting to follow Kvothe on his travels, although I was a little upset about him leaving the University at first. I got so familiar with the University and all the people around Kvothe that it was hard to let them go and to meet new people. After awhile I began to really enjoy the new people Kvothe meets and the places he travels. You really get to see Patrick Rothfuss's potential for world building. He really does an amazing job!

I love how Kvothe develops throughout the story. As he travels he learns more about himself and becoming a man. Rothfuss does a terrific job in developing his main character and making him feel like a real person. I really care for Kvothe and I tend to share his feelings. The fact that a character is really believable makes this a really fun read for me.

However, Rothfuss lacks a bit in his development of secondary characters, though he is getting a little better from the first book. Most of them are pretty one-dimensional, but he begins to give them their own personality and you slowly learn more about them. I really like several of the secondary characters, and Tempi is one of my new favorites. I thought he was more developed than some of the others besides Sim, Denna, and Wilem.

There were some parts of the story that I thought were a little slow. I didn't enjoy some of the stories that were told within the novel, but most of them have a purpose and should still be read. Others may enjoy these stories a little more than I did. Otherwise, I didn't find anything that really made me want to put the book down. I just wanted to keep on reading!

Overall, I enjoyed this book just as much as the first! I was really surprised when I found out that this novel was over 1200 pages!, but it was a fast and entertaining read. I thought this series would be appropriate for young adults, but after reading this novel I have to say that this is an adult only series. There is a lot more violence, nudity, and sex than their was in the first book.

AshleyMiller | Sep 10, 2014 |
This is Book Two of the very popular and complex fantasy series (“The Kingkiller Chronicles”) recounting the story of Kvothe, currently a self-effacing innkeeper who is not yet thirty, going by the name of Kote. His saga is told by the literary device of the “frame story” or “Mise-en-abyme” - a story within a story.

Kvothe agreed to tell his life story over a period of three days to a man called The Chronicler. This second book picks up the story told on day two, beginning, as did Book One, with a reference to the silence that now characterizes Kvothe’s life.

Kvothe is a prodigy who is studying how to work with magic at the University, and who is also obsessed with the young woman, Denna. Denna (this is only the first of many names she uses) will be friends with Kvothe but maybe not more; he doesn’t want to risk losing her by pushing her.

Nevertheless, he manages to acquire sexual experience elsewhere, via Felurian, the faerie woman no man can resist. Nor can men survive if Felurian pushes them away. Kvothe of course manages to do both (eventually, anyway). He escapes the extremely long drawn out male-fantasy-within-a-fantasy book sexcapade with a magic cloak made for him by Felurian to protect himself back out in the [non-Fae] world.

Other adventures we learn about on day two include an encounter with the truth-telling, future-prognosticating Fae oracle Cthaeh; a trip to Vintas to meet the rich potential patron Maer Alveron; a stint leading a group of mercenaries on the Maer's behalf to clean up the bandits on the road who have been stealing the King’s taxes; training in the Adem skill of fighting (which requires getting into the Zen-like mindset of “the Lethani”; various sexual encounters with Adem women (who, continuing Rothfuss’s romp through male fantasies within the fantasy, like and even prefer sex without emotional commitment); rescuing a couple of girls held as sex slaves by travelers pretending to be from Kvothe’s troupe of “Edema Ruh”; meeting up with Meluan, the new wife of the Maer (who may or may not actually be his aunt); and finally returning to the University. All of these adventures are interspersed with Kvothe either looking for, or running into Denna, or obsessing about her in her absence.

[I would complain about the abundance of what I consider to be unnecessary and over-long male-fantasy sexual encounters, but Rothfuss's plot permutations are not so easily classified; these passages could prove to have significant meaning later on in the saga.]

Back at the University, Kvothe is finally flush with money, but not so successful with his studies. He occupies himself with paying off some debts he had accrued, and exacting a small piece of revenge on his enemy, the bully from University, Ambrose.

At the end of Book Two, Kvothe takes a break from storytelling, and he is robbed and beaten by thieves who have come to his inn.

Evaluation: This is not a standalone book, but is a must-read for followers of this saga. However, if you can restrain yourself, I would suggest not even starting it until the third book makes an appearance, because it is an extremely convoluted story with many layers of meaning (albeit in an intellectually rewarding way), that could get lost in the lacuna. ( )
  nbmars | Sep 5, 2014 |
Still good. I really like the world Rothfuss has created and like the way magic works. As is so often the case with fantasy lately, a bit more editing wouldn't have hurt. There's no reason why I should need to bulk up to be able to hold the book up while I read. ( )
  mazeway | Sep 2, 2014 |
Rothfuss takes to the Hero’s Journey with a passion and depth that routinely turns the trite into the transcendent.
added by Aerrin99 | editOnion AV Club, Zack Handlen (Mar 17, 2011)

Rothfuss works all the well-worn conventions of the genre, with a shadow cloak here and a stinging sword there and lots of wizardry throughout, blending a thoroughly prosaic prose style with the heft-of-tome ambitions of a William T. Vollmann. This is a great big book indeed, but not much happens—which, to judge by the success of its predecessor, will faze readers not a whit.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my patient fans, for reading the blog and telling me what they really want is an excellent book, even if it takes a little longer.

To my clever beta readers, for their invaluable help and toleration of my paranoid secrecy.

To my fabulous agent, for keeping the wolves from the door in more ways than one.

To my wise editor, for giving me the time and space to write a book that fills me with pride.

To my loving family, for supporting me and reminding me that leaving the house every once in a while is a good thing.

To my understanding girlfriend, for not leaving me when the stress of endless revision made me frothy and monstrous.

To my sweet baby, for loving his daddy even though I have to go away and write all the time. Even when we're having a really great time. Even when we're talking about ducks.
Dawn was coming. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Deutsche Ausgabe wurde in 2 Teile geteilt

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756404738, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, March 2011: The Wise Man's Fear continues the mesmerizing slow reveal of the story of Kvothe the Bloodless, an orphaned actor who became a fearsome hero before banishing himself to a tiny town in the middle of Newarre. The readers of Patrick Rothfuss's outstanding first book, The Name of the Wind, which has gathered both a cult following and a wide readership in the four years since it came out, will remember that Kvothe promised to tell his tale of wonder and woe to Chronicler, the king's scribe, in three days. The Wise Man's Fear makes up day two, and uncovers enough to satisfy readers and make them desperate for the full tale, from Kvothe's rapidly escalating feud with Ambrose to the shockingly brutal events that mark his transformation into a true warrior, and to his encounters with Felurian and the Adem. Rothfuss remains a remarkably adept and inventive storyteller, and Kvothe's is a riveting tale about a boy who becomes a man who becomes a hero and a killer, spinning his own mythology out of the ether until he traps himself within it. Drop everything and read these books. --Daphne Durham

Author One-on-One: Patrick Rothfuss and Brandon Sanderson
In an exclusive interview for Amazon.com, epic fantasy authors Patrick Rothfuss (The Wise Man's Fear) and Brandon Sanderson (Towers of Midnight) sat down to discuss collaborating with publishers, dealing with success, and what goes into creating and editing their work.

Rothfuss: Heya Brandon.

Sanderson: Hey there, Pat. Nice talking with you again.

Rothfuss: Thanks for being willing to do this. I know you're insanely busy these days.

Okay. Let me just jump right in here with a question. How long was Way of Kings? I heard a rumor that the ARC I read was 400,000 words long. It didn't really feel like it…

Sanderson: Let me see. I will open it right now and word count it, so you have an exact number. It’s 386,470 words, though the version you read was an advance manuscript, before I did my final 10% tightening draft, which was 423,557 words.

I didn’t really want it to be that long. At that length we’re running into problems with foreign publishers having to split it and all sorts of issues with making the paperback have enough space. I didn’t set out to write a thousand-page, 400,000-word book. It’s just what the novel demanded.

Rothfuss: Wise Man's Fear ended up being 395,000 words. And that's despite the fact that I've been pruning it back at every opportunity for more than a year. I'd spend weeks trimming superfluous words and phrases, extra lines of dialogue, slightly redundant description until the book was 12,000 words shorter.

Then a month later I'd realize I needed to add a scene to bring better resolution to a plot line. Then I'd add a couple paragraphs to clarify some some character interaction. Then I'd expand an action scene to improve tension. Suddenly the book's 8,000 words longer again.

Sanderson: Yeah, that’s exactly how it goes.

It’s very rare that I’m able to cut entire scenes. If I can cut entire scenes that means there’s something fundamentally not working with the sequence and I usually end up tossing the whole thing and rewriting it. But trimming, or pruning as you described it, works very well with my fiction.

I can usually cut fifteen percent off just by nurturing the text, pruning it, looking for the extraneous words and phrases. But I wonder if in doing that there’s a tendency to compensate. There’s a concept in dieting that if someone starts working out really hard, they start to say, “Well, that means I can now eat more,” and you’ll find people compensating for the extra calorie loss by eating more because they feel they can. I wonder if we do that with our fiction. I mean, I will get done with this big long trim and I’ll say, “Great, now I have the space to do this extra thing that I really think the story needs,” and then the story ends up going back to just as long.

Though at least in my case I can blame my editor too. He’s very good with helping me with line edits, but where we perhaps fuel each other in the wrong way is that he’ll say, “Ooh, it’d be awesome if you add this,” or “This scene needs this,” or “Can you explain this?” And I say, “Yes! I can explain that. I’d love to!” And then of course the book gets longer and then we both have to go to Tom Doherty with our eyes downward saying, “Um, the book is really long again, Tom. Sorry.”

I have a question for you, then. Did you always intend the Kingkiller Chronicle to be three days split across three books? Or did you start writing it as one book and then split it? What’s the real story behind that?

Rothfuss: Assuming I had any sort of plan at the beginning is a big mistake. I just started writing. I didn't have a plan. I didn't know what I was doing.

For years and years I just thought of it as The Book in my head. I've always thought of it as one big story. Then, eventually I realized it would need to be broken up into volumes.

I can't say why I picked three books except that three is a good number. It's sort of the classic number. And while the story is working well in this format, part of me wishes I'd broken it into smaller chunks. This second book has so many plotlines. If I'd written this trilogy as say, 10 books, each one would be much shorter and self contained. More like the Dresden Files.

That's pointless musing though. I'm sure if I'd written smaller volumes right now I'd be thinking, "Oh! if only I'd written these as longer books I could play more with interwoven plot lines…"

Read the full interview

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:50 -0400)

Kvothe takes his first steps on the path of the hero as he attempts to uncover the truth about the mysterious Amyr, the Chandrian, and the death of his parents. Along the way, Kvothe is put on trial by the legendary Adem mercenaries, forced to reclaim the honor of the Edema Ruh, and travels into the Fae realm where he meets Felurian, the faerie woman no man can resist.… (more)

Patrick Rothfuss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible