The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller…

The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two (Kingkiller… (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Patrick Rothfuss

4,2612021,164 (4.34)1 / 233
Title:The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two (Kingkiller Chronicles)
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:DAW Trade (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 1008 pages
Collections:Your library, audiobooks
Tags:fantasy, read 2012, audiobook 2012

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (2011)

English (195)  Spanish (6)  All languages (201)
I really really wanted to enjoy this book more than I did.

Firstly, Rothfuss's writing is beautiful, I really love his style but the content of this second installment really fell short.

At the end of The Name Of The Wind, I was left with so many burning questions like: What happened to Kvothe in the present? Who is Bast? Will Kvothe ever get the girl, Denna? Will he get expelled from the University? Will he ever avenge his parents against the Chandrian?

None of these questions were answered for me and I felt the book dragged forever. It showed as 1108 pages on my e-reader and because it did not leave me on the edge of my seat, wanting to desperately find out what happened next, it took me ages to read.

The book did not start to annoy me until it hit the Felarian part where Kvothe spends ages with a fae sex addict, having sex constantly and doing little else. After he gets away with a 'shaed' (which is a magical cloak sewn from moonlight), he precedes to have sex with any woman that will have him - I found it all in very poor taste and not to mention completely random.

The Denna storyline was very annoying as well - she just seems to show up randomly with many different men who she procedes to run away from when they want more from her after giving her many expensive gifts. Is she a whore? High class escort or what? Is she really so dim that she thinks men just want to be a true and honest friend to her and is shocked when they want romance? I just don't get it. I really don't understand what she adds to the story seeing as the reader is told she is integral to the story.

All in all, I feel like all the best bits are being left to the third installment which will probably be double the length of this book. George R R Martin is guilty of this as well, but I am sick of middle installments of books that are just full of fluff to pad the story out and give so little plot. ( )
  KittyBimble | Nov 26, 2015 |
Great, now I have to wait an indefinite amount of time for the next one 8-( I thought these two books were fantastic. I read a bloggers review of how these are the worst books in the history of mankind, and I just don't understand. What point is there if its not enjoyable? And these definitely were! I found a unique magic system, an ancient mystery, unrequited love (not too much!) ( )
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
The Wise Man's Fear, the second book in the The Kingkiller Chronicle trilogy. Almost one thousand pages in the hardcover version; an astounding 42:55:15 hours of "ear candy" in the audio version. I chose to listen to the audiobook due, in large part, to Nick Podehl's award-winning narration. Nick Podehl's ability to breathe (additional) life into the myriad of Pat Rothfuss' characters, via the magic of his voice, is astounding.

Did I love this book as much as I loved the first book in the series, The Name of the Wind? Yes.

Do I recommend that every friend, or foe for that matter, read series. Yes!

Am I frothing at the bit due to the fact that the final book in The Kingkiller Chronicle series isn't due for release until "sometime in 2014". YES!!

Am I going to insert a paraphrased Jack London quote here? Yes.

While toiling in the laundry of my mind, my p.a.t.i.e.n.c.e. - informed and eager to do and be - was crucified.

John Barleycorn - Jack London ( )
  idajo2 | Nov 3, 2015 |
"It's hard to write a review after reading a book like this. It's like trying to review a ray of sun going through the trees at dawn. While that is a poetic concept, that's exactly what Rothfuss does to your mind. The strength of the book, again, is probably the sheer poetry of its prose. I've often had difficult conversations with friends who were of a very strict, scientific and rational mindset. Trying to get them to accept the truth of other ways of seeing the world has been futile. I think from now own I'll simply recommend this book to them. If they can understand how Kvothe sees the world, then they'll finally know what I've been telling them. Rothfuss does a better job of describing the worldview of the slightly mad artist/poet and making it more magical than anything I've ever read.

The Wise Man's Fear starts from the point where the previous book ended: Kvothe is still telling the story from when he was yet a 15 year old at the University. The first one third or so of the book is all about his adventures there; his classes, musical pursuits, loves. He eventually leaves the University for most of a year, though, for personal reasons. Rothfuss skips over some of the more irrelevant side adventures and stays focused on those things which begin to build Kvothe as a person - his training, battles, moral decisions, role as a leader.

The most incredible thing about Kvothe, his ability to adapt to mostly anything, is greatly explored on this book. As the story moves forwards, he finds himself at various places, thrown in the middle of the most adverse situations, but he never gets scared. His heroism isn't, to this point, epic, but he is a hero when it comes to surviving a curiously abnormal normal life. His freedom gives him nothing to lose.

Another feature that made the story tenfold more interesting here is that a lot more about the Chandrian was revealed. I can't say much without spoiling it for everyone. However, I must say that the information given about those bastards was enough to keep me wondering... I hope we will learn even more about them on the next book.

There were no clear images about the Chandrian around the web. After dreaming about them night after night, I had to take the dream out of my head, so I attempted to draw something. It is not the best, but it helped to picture them better.

Anyway, there's nothing that I can keep digitally babbling about that can do justice to the majesty of this story. All I can say is that reading it was one of the best literary experiences I ever had, and that waiting until book three is going to be utterly painful.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think.
Half of seeming clever is keeping your mouth shut at the right times.

The Last Passage
IT WAS NIGHT AGAIN. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
The most obvious part was a hollow, echoing quiet, made by things that were lacking. If there had been a steady rain it would have drummed against the roof, sluiced the eaves, and washed the silence slowly out to sea. If there had been lovers in the beds of the inn, they would have sighed and moaned and shamed the silence into being on its way. If there had been music ... but no, of course there was no music. In fact there were none of these things, and so the silence remained.
Outside the Waystone, the noise of distant revelry blew faintly through the trees. A strain of fiddle. Voices. Stomping boots and clapping hands. But the sound was slender as a thread, and a shift in the wind broke it, leaving only rustling leaves and something almost like the far-off shrieking of an owl. That faded too, leaving nothing but the second silence, waiting like an endless indrawn breath.
The third silence was not an easy thing to notice. If you listened for an hour, you might begin to feel it in the chill metal of a dozen locks turned tight to keep the night away. It lay in rough clay jugs of cider and the hollow taproom gaps where chairs and tables ought to be. It was in the mottling ache of bruises that bloomed across a body, and it was in the hands of the man who wore the bruises as he rose stiffly from his bed, teeth clenched against the pain.
The man had true-red hair, red as flame. His eyes were dark and distant, and he moved with the subtle certainty of a thief in the night. He made his way downstairs. There, behind the tightly shuttered windows, he lifted his hands like a dancer, shifted his weight, and slowly took one single perfect step.
The Waystone was his, just as the third silence was his. This was appropriate, as it was the greatest silence of the three, wrapping the others inside itself. It was deep and wide as autumn’s ending. It was heavy as a great river-smooth stone. It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die.
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
Rothfuss takes to the Hero’s Journey with a passion and depth that routinely turns the trite into the transcendent.
added by Aerrin99 | editOnion AV Club, Zack Handlen (Mar 17, 2011)
Rothfuss works all the well-worn conventions of the genre, with a shadow cloak here and a stinging sword there and lots of wizardry throughout, blending a thoroughly prosaic prose style with the heft-of-tome ambitions of a William T. Vollmann. This is a great big book indeed, but not much happens—which, to judge by the success of its predecessor, will faze readers not a whit.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my patient fans, for reading the blog and telling me what they really want is an excellent book, even if it takes a little longer.

To my clever beta readers, for their invaluable help and toleration of my paranoid secrecy.

To my fabulous agent, for keeping the wolves from the door in more ways than one.

To my wise editor, for giving me the time and space to write a book that fills me with pride.

To my loving family, for supporting me and reminding me that leaving the house every once in a while is a good thing.

To my understanding girlfriend, for not leaving me when the stress of endless revision made me frothy and monstrous.

To my sweet baby, for loving his daddy even though I have to go away and write all the time. Even when we're having a really great time. Even when we're talking about ducks.
Dawn was coming. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Deutsche Ausgabe wurde in 2 Teile geteilt

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756404738, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, March 2011: The Wise Man's Fear continues the mesmerizing slow reveal of the story of Kvothe the Bloodless, an orphaned actor who became a fearsome hero before banishing himself to a tiny town in the middle of Newarre. The readers of Patrick Rothfuss's outstanding first book, The Name of the Wind, which has gathered both a cult following and a wide readership in the four years since it came out, will remember that Kvothe promised to tell his tale of wonder and woe to Chronicler, the king's scribe, in three days. The Wise Man's Fear makes up day two, and uncovers enough to satisfy readers and make them desperate for the full tale, from Kvothe's rapidly escalating feud with Ambrose to the shockingly brutal events that mark his transformation into a true warrior, and to his encounters with Felurian and the Adem. Rothfuss remains a remarkably adept and inventive storyteller, and Kvothe's is a riveting tale about a boy who becomes a man who becomes a hero and a killer, spinning his own mythology out of the ether until he traps himself within it. Drop everything and read these books. --Daphne Durham

Author One-on-One: Patrick Rothfuss and Brandon Sanderson
In an exclusive interview for Amazon.com, epic fantasy authors Patrick Rothfuss (The Wise Man's Fear) and Brandon Sanderson (Towers of Midnight) sat down to discuss collaborating with publishers, dealing with success, and what goes into creating and editing their work.

Rothfuss: Heya Brandon.

Sanderson: Hey there, Pat. Nice talking with you again.

Rothfuss: Thanks for being willing to do this. I know you're insanely busy these days.

Okay. Let me just jump right in here with a question. How long was Way of Kings? I heard a rumor that the ARC I read was 400,000 words long. It didn't really feel like it…

Sanderson: Let me see. I will open it right now and word count it, so you have an exact number. It’s 386,470 words, though the version you read was an advance manuscript, before I did my final 10% tightening draft, which was 423,557 words.

I didn’t really want it to be that long. At that length we’re running into problems with foreign publishers having to split it and all sorts of issues with making the paperback have enough space. I didn’t set out to write a thousand-page, 400,000-word book. It’s just what the novel demanded.

Rothfuss: Wise Man's Fear ended up being 395,000 words. And that's despite the fact that I've been pruning it back at every opportunity for more than a year. I'd spend weeks trimming superfluous words and phrases, extra lines of dialogue, slightly redundant description until the book was 12,000 words shorter.

Then a month later I'd realize I needed to add a scene to bring better resolution to a plot line. Then I'd add a couple paragraphs to clarify some some character interaction. Then I'd expand an action scene to improve tension. Suddenly the book's 8,000 words longer again.

Sanderson: Yeah, that’s exactly how it goes.

It’s very rare that I’m able to cut entire scenes. If I can cut entire scenes that means there’s something fundamentally not working with the sequence and I usually end up tossing the whole thing and rewriting it. But trimming, or pruning as you described it, works very well with my fiction.

I can usually cut fifteen percent off just by nurturing the text, pruning it, looking for the extraneous words and phrases. But I wonder if in doing that there’s a tendency to compensate. There’s a concept in dieting that if someone starts working out really hard, they start to say, “Well, that means I can now eat more,” and you’ll find people compensating for the extra calorie loss by eating more because they feel they can. I wonder if we do that with our fiction. I mean, I will get done with this big long trim and I’ll say, “Great, now I have the space to do this extra thing that I really think the story needs,” and then the story ends up going back to just as long.

Though at least in my case I can blame my editor too. He’s very good with helping me with line edits, but where we perhaps fuel each other in the wrong way is that he’ll say, “Ooh, it’d be awesome if you add this,” or “This scene needs this,” or “Can you explain this?” And I say, “Yes! I can explain that. I’d love to!” And then of course the book gets longer and then we both have to go to Tom Doherty with our eyes downward saying, “Um, the book is really long again, Tom. Sorry.”

I have a question for you, then. Did you always intend the Kingkiller Chronicle to be three days split across three books? Or did you start writing it as one book and then split it? What’s the real story behind that?

Rothfuss: Assuming I had any sort of plan at the beginning is a big mistake. I just started writing. I didn't have a plan. I didn't know what I was doing.

For years and years I just thought of it as The Book in my head. I've always thought of it as one big story. Then, eventually I realized it would need to be broken up into volumes.

I can't say why I picked three books except that three is a good number. It's sort of the classic number. And while the story is working well in this format, part of me wishes I'd broken it into smaller chunks. This second book has so many plotlines. If I'd written this trilogy as say, 10 books, each one would be much shorter and self contained. More like the Dresden Files.

That's pointless musing though. I'm sure if I'd written smaller volumes right now I'd be thinking, "Oh! if only I'd written these as longer books I could play more with interwoven plot lines…"

Read the full interview

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:40 -0400)

Kvothe takes his first steps on the path of the hero as he attempts to uncover the truth about the mysterious Amyr, the Chandrian, and the death of his parents. Along the way, Kvothe is put on trial by the legendary Adem mercenaries, forced to reclaim the honor of the Edema Ruh, and travels into the Fae realm where he meets Felurian, the faerie woman no man can resist.… (more)

Patrick Rothfuss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,884,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible