The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller…

The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two (Kingkiller… (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Patrick Rothfuss

4,855243952 (4.35)1 / 243
Member:Leoder
Title:The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two (Kingkiller Chronicles)
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:DAW Trade (2012), Ausgabe: Reprint, Paperback, 1008 Seiten
Rating:*****

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (2011)

Recently added byliz.corbett, KaiaSH, NWPL, Rsmart1026, CGSLibrarian, RoarHL, kateprice88, ofalltrades, private library

English (236)  Spanish (6)  All languages (242)
3.5 stars, rounded up.

There's a couple bits of this that I'm mulling over. Review to come. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
A mixed bag of tricks. Rothfuss maintains his high level of writing, but after these 1000 pages, I’m even more irritated by the flashback storytelling than I was in Book 1. I guess I should realize that calling it the Kingkiller Chronicle series means…it’s going to be the chronicle of how he became a king killer…however that doesn’t make for exciting drama. Yes, the story is filled with drama. Lots of drama. Very little humor, which continues to be a negative for me. It’s so bleak in tone. I’m just over the backstory of how Kvothe came to be a great warrior/fighter/mage…although apparently he has lost his skills at present, turning into a rather ineffectual innkeeper.

Yes, I imagine in a future installment, he will finally take up the warrior mantle and save the world. But right now, I’m like…GET THERE ALREADY. GIVE ME THE PRESENT!

In Book 2 of the series, we are taken through various adventures that show us how the legends around Kvothe developed and also how he acquired some of his magic items, improved his abilities as a fighter, and continued to increase his own magic abilities. While Rothfuss does imbue the story with a great deal of emotion, at times I couldn’t help feeling like many of these long sequences were devised to check off various aspects of Kvothe’s nature. How did he get a magic cloak and how was he lead forward with clues to seek his enemy? Spends some time trapped in the fae world where he is knitted a magic cape by his fae lover and meets an evil oracle who directs him toward the cruelest potential outcome of events. How did he become such an effective warrior? Send him to a fighter school where he is trained hard for many months and pushed to his limits. That latter sequence seemed to drag on and on for me.

I also started to find it a bit sexist how nearly every female who is featured in the story is beautiful. Here’s another beautiful one, just beautiful in a different way.

Despite these negatives, and despite it being told in flashback, my reaction was not entirely negative. If you can think of the flashbacks as occurring more presently, Rothfuss is quite good at building drama and making the reader want to find out what happens next. The writing isn’t showy, but he has a strong command of language. The characters are fairly complex and flawed. And while I did become frustrated to get back to the present and see Kvothe reinvigorated, the highest praise that I can give is that he held my interest enough that I will very likely pick up Book 3 when it comes out to find out what happens next. ( )
  David_David_Katzman | Sep 8, 2016 |
2nd reading ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
Great job by Rothfuss to build upon the first book. It seemed to start a little slow but the intensity picks up as you go through. Kvothe's story gets increasingly interesting through the end of the book. You will be highly anticipating the release of the final book in the Kingkiller Chronicles when you finish The Wise Man's Fear. ( )
  masteryoda716 | Aug 31, 2016 |
I finished listening to this a few days ago, and I have to say the person who reads the Patrick Rothfuss books is amazing. He knows exactly how to pitch his voice for all the different characters, and really makes the reading come to life.

As for the story... I love how Rothfuss lays out the tale, and gives you just enough. There are two parts that I really wish he had gone into more detail with, and yet I found it hilarious that he calls out the reader (right in the middle of the book) for wanting more then they really need. You could argue that the reader doesn't actually need a lot of the things written in the book, that it would be just as good if he glossed over a lot of the smaller details and expanded on the two major things that happened to him instead, but I don't think it would be the same thing. This is the story about a boy being thrust into situations that most men would never have the opportunity for, and how he twisted those stories just enough to give himself notoriety. It works well.

I know I'm going to have to wait a couple years or more for the third book, but I have a feeling it's going to be worth the wait. ( )
  CrissyMoss | Aug 14, 2016 |
Rothfuss takes to the Hero’s Journey with a passion and depth that routinely turns the trite into the transcendent.
added by Aerrin99 | editOnion AV Club, Zack Handlen (Mar 17, 2011)

Rothfuss works all the well-worn conventions of the genre, with a shadow cloak here and a stinging sword there and lots of wizardry throughout, blending a thoroughly prosaic prose style with the heft-of-tome ambitions of a William T. Vollmann. This is a great big book indeed, but not much happens—which, to judge by the success of its predecessor, will faze readers not a whit.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribeiro, VeraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my patient fans, for reading the blog and telling me what they really want is an excellent book, even if it takes a little longer.

To my clever beta readers, for their invaluable help and toleration of my paranoid secrecy.

To my fabulous agent, for keeping the wolves from the door in more ways than one.

To my wise editor, for giving me the time and space to write a book that fills me with pride.

To my loving family, for supporting me and reminding me that leaving the house every once in a while is a good thing.

To my understanding girlfriend, for not leaving me when the stress of endless revision made me frothy and monstrous.

To my sweet baby, for loving his daddy even though I have to go away and write all the time. Even when we're having a really great time. Even when we're talking about ducks.
Dawn was coming. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Deutsche Ausgabe wurde in 2 Teile geteilt

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756404738, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, March 2011: The Wise Man's Fear continues the mesmerizing slow reveal of the story of Kvothe the Bloodless, an orphaned actor who became a fearsome hero before banishing himself to a tiny town in the middle of Newarre. The readers of Patrick Rothfuss's outstanding first book, The Name of the Wind, which has gathered both a cult following and a wide readership in the four years since it came out, will remember that Kvothe promised to tell his tale of wonder and woe to Chronicler, the king's scribe, in three days. The Wise Man's Fear makes up day two, and uncovers enough to satisfy readers and make them desperate for the full tale, from Kvothe's rapidly escalating feud with Ambrose to the shockingly brutal events that mark his transformation into a true warrior, and to his encounters with Felurian and the Adem. Rothfuss remains a remarkably adept and inventive storyteller, and Kvothe's is a riveting tale about a boy who becomes a man who becomes a hero and a killer, spinning his own mythology out of the ether until he traps himself within it. Drop everything and read these books. --Daphne Durham

Author One-on-One: Patrick Rothfuss and Brandon Sanderson
In an exclusive interview for Amazon.com, epic fantasy authors Patrick Rothfuss (The Wise Man's Fear) and Brandon Sanderson (Towers of Midnight) sat down to discuss collaborating with publishers, dealing with success, and what goes into creating and editing their work.

Rothfuss: Heya Brandon.

Sanderson: Hey there, Pat. Nice talking with you again.

Rothfuss: Thanks for being willing to do this. I know you're insanely busy these days.

Okay. Let me just jump right in here with a question. How long was Way of Kings? I heard a rumor that the ARC I read was 400,000 words long. It didn't really feel like it…

Sanderson: Let me see. I will open it right now and word count it, so you have an exact number. It’s 386,470 words, though the version you read was an advance manuscript, before I did my final 10% tightening draft, which was 423,557 words.

I didn’t really want it to be that long. At that length we’re running into problems with foreign publishers having to split it and all sorts of issues with making the paperback have enough space. I didn’t set out to write a thousand-page, 400,000-word book. It’s just what the novel demanded.

Rothfuss: Wise Man's Fear ended up being 395,000 words. And that's despite the fact that I've been pruning it back at every opportunity for more than a year. I'd spend weeks trimming superfluous words and phrases, extra lines of dialogue, slightly redundant description until the book was 12,000 words shorter.

Then a month later I'd realize I needed to add a scene to bring better resolution to a plot line. Then I'd add a couple paragraphs to clarify some some character interaction. Then I'd expand an action scene to improve tension. Suddenly the book's 8,000 words longer again.

Sanderson: Yeah, that’s exactly how it goes.

It’s very rare that I’m able to cut entire scenes. If I can cut entire scenes that means there’s something fundamentally not working with the sequence and I usually end up tossing the whole thing and rewriting it. But trimming, or pruning as you described it, works very well with my fiction.

I can usually cut fifteen percent off just by nurturing the text, pruning it, looking for the extraneous words and phrases. But I wonder if in doing that there’s a tendency to compensate. There’s a concept in dieting that if someone starts working out really hard, they start to say, “Well, that means I can now eat more,” and you’ll find people compensating for the extra calorie loss by eating more because they feel they can. I wonder if we do that with our fiction. I mean, I will get done with this big long trim and I’ll say, “Great, now I have the space to do this extra thing that I really think the story needs,” and then the story ends up going back to just as long.

Though at least in my case I can blame my editor too. He’s very good with helping me with line edits, but where we perhaps fuel each other in the wrong way is that he’ll say, “Ooh, it’d be awesome if you add this,” or “This scene needs this,” or “Can you explain this?” And I say, “Yes! I can explain that. I’d love to!” And then of course the book gets longer and then we both have to go to Tom Doherty with our eyes downward saying, “Um, the book is really long again, Tom. Sorry.”

I have a question for you, then. Did you always intend the Kingkiller Chronicle to be three days split across three books? Or did you start writing it as one book and then split it? What’s the real story behind that?

Rothfuss: Assuming I had any sort of plan at the beginning is a big mistake. I just started writing. I didn't have a plan. I didn't know what I was doing.

For years and years I just thought of it as The Book in my head. I've always thought of it as one big story. Then, eventually I realized it would need to be broken up into volumes.

I can't say why I picked three books except that three is a good number. It's sort of the classic number. And while the story is working well in this format, part of me wishes I'd broken it into smaller chunks. This second book has so many plotlines. If I'd written this trilogy as say, 10 books, each one would be much shorter and self contained. More like the Dresden Files.

That's pointless musing though. I'm sure if I'd written smaller volumes right now I'd be thinking, "Oh! if only I'd written these as longer books I could play more with interwoven plot lines…"

Read the full interview

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:40 -0400)

Kvothe takes his first steps on the path of the hero as he attempts to uncover the truth about the mysterious Amyr, the Chandrian, and the death of his parents. Along the way, Kvothe is put on trial by the legendary Adem mercenaries, forced to reclaim the honor of the Edema Ruh, and travels into the Fae realm where he meets Felurian, the faerie woman no man can resist.… (more)

Patrick Rothfuss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,223,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible