The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller…

The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two (Kingkiller… (edition 2012)

by Patrick Rothfuss

3,6711811,435 (4.34)1 / 211
Member:Leoder
Title:The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two (Kingkiller Chronicles)
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:DAW Trade (2012), Ausgabe: Reprint, Paperback, 1008 Seiten
Rating:*****

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

English (175)  Spanish (6)  All languages (181)
To start off, I never read the first book in this series (The Name of The Wind) but somehow reading this I didn't feel that it was necessary as there was enough of Kvothe's story from the first (I am assuming) woven into this one to get a feel of what was going on through the first.
The story starts with Kvothe as an older man, owner of an inn, who is telling his story to the Chronicler.
Kvothes' story starts at The University where it's admissions day and he's worried about passing his admissions (since he hasn't really studied being banned from the archives), how he'll have the talents to pay his admissions and his ongoing feud with Ambrose. We follow Kvothe through days at the University with his issues with some instructors disliking him, some not, his getting into trouble and finally deciding to take a semester away from school where he travels to become employed to The Maer. It's during this time that Kvothe is given the task to join up with other hires and go to rid the Kings roads of bandits. During the trip back they run across Felurian, a fae woman who entraps mortal men. Kvothe is taken by her, and we spend a lot of the next chapter or so as she "educates" him in bed, weaves him a cloak of shadow and they battle wits. She lets him leave, only on the promise he will return someday, to sing her praises to the world. From here Kovothe reunites with his group and discovers that Tempi is in trouble for teaching him the ways of the Adem, so he returns with him thinking to help, only to find himself in yet another troublesome situation before eventually returning to the Maer and eventually the University. I realize I have skimmed the basis of the story here, not wanting to go into too much of what happens and give spoilers for anyone who may not have read it.
For what I thought of the story, I really enjoyed it. I found Kvothe both endearing and annoying at the same time, enjoying his wittiness when it was there. Though this is being told by an older Kvothe, I needed to remind myself at times that it was about him when he was 15 to 16 or 17 years of age. Given that, his sometimes annoying behaviors or lack of comfort with girls/women and not always thinking before doing makes sense. His striking up a friendship with Tempi the Adem was endearing, and reminded me slightly of the friendship of Fitz and The Fool in the Asassians Apprentice series by Robin Hobb. (In no way am I comparing these beyond just the slight reminiscent with the friendships). I did find the chapter(s) devoted to Felurian to be tiresome after a bit, wanting them to end and get back to other things along the story. And then there's Denna. Oh Denna who plays with Kvothes' heart strings, though he doesn't admit it, and who we're supposed to wonder who is she really? Why does she always change her name and disappear with no word? Hopefully the third book gives answers to this in a timely manner, because it is getting a little too drawn out.
Overall I really enjoyed this book. I believe this was the beginning of Kvothe starting to find himself and mature a bit, realizing his actions have consequences for not only himself but others around him; sometimes good, sometimes bad. It kept me engrossed and reading, and I really didn't want it to end. I'm looking forward to reading the third one, and will be going to find the first one and read that as well. ( )
  beckdg | Nov 22, 2014 |
This book is my current "book hangover" (more on that here)!

The way the author plays with layers and language is amazing. I've not seen anything like it, and I've been reading fantasy for a long, long time.

If you haven't read this book and the one before it, you're missing out. ( )
  kaonevar | Nov 12, 2014 |
This is the 2nd in the Kingkiller Chronicles, a trilogy, with book 3 coming out in 2015? 2016? I usually don't read books in a series back to back because I like to savor the experience and let my impressions of the first book sink in. But I really loved book 1, The Name of the Wind and I was looking for a fun distraction so I dove into this 2nd book - almost 1000 pages or 43 hours in audio. Although I definitely enjoyed listening to this book, the plot meandered and did not move the overall story line (Kvothe searching for the Chandrian) forward by much. I still enjoyed the world that Rothfuss has created, but would have liked to see less random discourse and more final plot reveal. Well, the good/bad news is that the wait for book 3 is at least a year, so plenty of time to ponder while waiting for the finale. ( )
  jmoncton | Nov 2, 2014 |
The Wise Man's Fear is the second book in the Kingkiller Chronicles. It is well over 900 pages long and, for me, was a bit of a bore at times. It was a lot harder for me to care about half the things that happened. I skimmed probably as many pages as I read. I will read the third book when it comes out, but for now my expectations are pretty low. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
I'm really enjoying Rothfuss' series. I can feel him maturing as a writer as he completes it. On the surface, his hero is super-human. He lands a contract with the richest man in the world. Hunts down an evil super-being (who also killed his family), becomes the mortal lover of the fae queen and leaves her, rescues kidnapped children all while making music and excelling at the university.

The sub-plots are focused on limits, weaknesses, and frailty. I like these and where Rothfuss is pushing the tale, but ultimately I can't be confident that he can reconcile these themes with the wild hyperbole that is his protagonist.

That said, I'm on board and hooked so see how he tries to pull it out. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
Rothfuss takes to the Hero’s Journey with a passion and depth that routinely turns the trite into the transcendent.
added by Aerrin99 | editOnion AV Club, Zack Handlen (Mar 17, 2011)

Rothfuss works all the well-worn conventions of the genre, with a shadow cloak here and a stinging sword there and lots of wizardry throughout, blending a thoroughly prosaic prose style with the heft-of-tome ambitions of a William T. Vollmann. This is a great big book indeed, but not much happens—which, to judge by the success of its predecessor, will faze readers not a whit.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my patient fans, for reading the blog and telling me what they really want is an excellent book, even if it takes a little longer.

To my clever beta readers, for their invaluable help and toleration of my paranoid secrecy.

To my fabulous agent, for keeping the wolves from the door in more ways than one.

To my wise editor, for giving me the time and space to write a book that fills me with pride.

To my loving family, for supporting me and reminding me that leaving the house every once in a while is a good thing.

To my understanding girlfriend, for not leaving me when the stress of endless revision made me frothy and monstrous.

To my sweet baby, for loving his daddy even though I have to go away and write all the time. Even when we're having a really great time. Even when we're talking about ducks.
Dawn was coming. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Deutsche Ausgabe wurde in 2 Teile geteilt

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756404738, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, March 2011: The Wise Man's Fear continues the mesmerizing slow reveal of the story of Kvothe the Bloodless, an orphaned actor who became a fearsome hero before banishing himself to a tiny town in the middle of Newarre. The readers of Patrick Rothfuss's outstanding first book, The Name of the Wind, which has gathered both a cult following and a wide readership in the four years since it came out, will remember that Kvothe promised to tell his tale of wonder and woe to Chronicler, the king's scribe, in three days. The Wise Man's Fear makes up day two, and uncovers enough to satisfy readers and make them desperate for the full tale, from Kvothe's rapidly escalating feud with Ambrose to the shockingly brutal events that mark his transformation into a true warrior, and to his encounters with Felurian and the Adem. Rothfuss remains a remarkably adept and inventive storyteller, and Kvothe's is a riveting tale about a boy who becomes a man who becomes a hero and a killer, spinning his own mythology out of the ether until he traps himself within it. Drop everything and read these books. --Daphne Durham

Author One-on-One: Patrick Rothfuss and Brandon Sanderson
In an exclusive interview for Amazon.com, epic fantasy authors Patrick Rothfuss (The Wise Man's Fear) and Brandon Sanderson (Towers of Midnight) sat down to discuss collaborating with publishers, dealing with success, and what goes into creating and editing their work.

Rothfuss: Heya Brandon.

Sanderson: Hey there, Pat. Nice talking with you again.

Rothfuss: Thanks for being willing to do this. I know you're insanely busy these days.

Okay. Let me just jump right in here with a question. How long was Way of Kings? I heard a rumor that the ARC I read was 400,000 words long. It didn't really feel like it…

Sanderson: Let me see. I will open it right now and word count it, so you have an exact number. It’s 386,470 words, though the version you read was an advance manuscript, before I did my final 10% tightening draft, which was 423,557 words.

I didn’t really want it to be that long. At that length we’re running into problems with foreign publishers having to split it and all sorts of issues with making the paperback have enough space. I didn’t set out to write a thousand-page, 400,000-word book. It’s just what the novel demanded.

Rothfuss: Wise Man's Fear ended up being 395,000 words. And that's despite the fact that I've been pruning it back at every opportunity for more than a year. I'd spend weeks trimming superfluous words and phrases, extra lines of dialogue, slightly redundant description until the book was 12,000 words shorter.

Then a month later I'd realize I needed to add a scene to bring better resolution to a plot line. Then I'd add a couple paragraphs to clarify some some character interaction. Then I'd expand an action scene to improve tension. Suddenly the book's 8,000 words longer again.

Sanderson: Yeah, that’s exactly how it goes.

It’s very rare that I’m able to cut entire scenes. If I can cut entire scenes that means there’s something fundamentally not working with the sequence and I usually end up tossing the whole thing and rewriting it. But trimming, or pruning as you described it, works very well with my fiction.

I can usually cut fifteen percent off just by nurturing the text, pruning it, looking for the extraneous words and phrases. But I wonder if in doing that there’s a tendency to compensate. There’s a concept in dieting that if someone starts working out really hard, they start to say, “Well, that means I can now eat more,” and you’ll find people compensating for the extra calorie loss by eating more because they feel they can. I wonder if we do that with our fiction. I mean, I will get done with this big long trim and I’ll say, “Great, now I have the space to do this extra thing that I really think the story needs,” and then the story ends up going back to just as long.

Though at least in my case I can blame my editor too. He’s very good with helping me with line edits, but where we perhaps fuel each other in the wrong way is that he’ll say, “Ooh, it’d be awesome if you add this,” or “This scene needs this,” or “Can you explain this?” And I say, “Yes! I can explain that. I’d love to!” And then of course the book gets longer and then we both have to go to Tom Doherty with our eyes downward saying, “Um, the book is really long again, Tom. Sorry.”

I have a question for you, then. Did you always intend the Kingkiller Chronicle to be three days split across three books? Or did you start writing it as one book and then split it? What’s the real story behind that?

Rothfuss: Assuming I had any sort of plan at the beginning is a big mistake. I just started writing. I didn't have a plan. I didn't know what I was doing.

For years and years I just thought of it as The Book in my head. I've always thought of it as one big story. Then, eventually I realized it would need to be broken up into volumes.

I can't say why I picked three books except that three is a good number. It's sort of the classic number. And while the story is working well in this format, part of me wishes I'd broken it into smaller chunks. This second book has so many plotlines. If I'd written this trilogy as say, 10 books, each one would be much shorter and self contained. More like the Dresden Files.

That's pointless musing though. I'm sure if I'd written smaller volumes right now I'd be thinking, "Oh! if only I'd written these as longer books I could play more with interwoven plot lines…"

Read the full interview

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:50 -0400)

Kvothe takes his first steps on the path of the hero as he attempts to uncover the truth about the mysterious Amyr, the Chandrian, and the death of his parents. Along the way, Kvothe is put on trial by the legendary Adem mercenaries, forced to reclaim the honor of the Edema Ruh, and travels into the Fae realm where he meets Felurian, the faerie woman no man can resist.… (more)

Patrick Rothfuss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,988,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible