The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller…

The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two (Kingkiller… (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Patrick Rothfuss

4,719236998 (4.35)1 / 242
Member:vwinsloe
Title:The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two (Kingkiller Chronicles)
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:DAW Trade (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 1008 pages

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (2011)

English (230)  Spanish (6)  All languages (236)
The sequel of The Name of the Wind in which Kvothe's story continues. If you have read the previous book and enjoyed it, you will not be disappointed with this one. Kvothe is still finding his way through the University. He's just being slightly better at that.

Patrick Rothfuss' way of words just seems to enthrall me. The third book just can't come fast enough.
  Galeru | Jun 22, 2016 |
loved it, I had read less than favourable reviews, but there was so much going on it didn't feel at all slow paced to me. ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Anyone who has read The Name of the Wind is familiar with Rothfuss' breathtaking style, and I'm happy to say that they will not be disappointed with The Wise Man's Fear. Rather than feeling like a sequel to the first, it feels like the same exact book put under a different cover for carrying purposes.

It is a perfect continuation of story. ( )
  shulera1 | Jun 7, 2016 |
First off, I loved Name of the Wind. It was a wonderful, wonderful book full of promise and originality that breathed some freshness into the fantasy genre.

But then there was this book; it makes me wish I had just stopped reading with Name of the Wind.

I won't say that Wise Man's Fear is a bad book, because it's not. Rothfuss' writing is still just as spot-on as ever. For a book written in the first person, it's remarkably easy to follow and all the various locations come alive when he describes them. All of his characters have emotional depth to them as well, which makes it a joy to read.

No, it isn't the prose or characterizations or setting that bother me about Wise Man's Fear - it's the plot. Like many, many, MANY others before him, Rothfuss uses the "noble savage" imagery in this book. Worse, it's a main pillar of the story. He goes to great lengths to portray a technologically, socially backwards society as being morally superior to the world at large. It's something that fantasy writers delight in doing time and time again.

"Western Civilization is bad," Rothfuss tells through most of the book. "Look here, if you enjoy conflict you are a barbarian! Look at how wonderful and noble this down-to-earth race of people is! Don't you want to be like them? You should want to be like them!" That's all I heard from the writing thought most of the book and, frankly, it was a major distraction. I didn't feel enlightened as I read about the Adem's society; I felt angry. I felt like someone was preaching to me and, worse, through something I desperately wanted to enjoy.

If that wasn't enough, in Wise Man's Fear Rothfuss further introduces us to the Fae. Much like the Adem society it too beats us over the head with its moral superiority to the "religious" Commonwealth society.

Really, it's disappointing and a tad bit racist. The idea of a "noble savage" is just as bigoted as an unjust negative view of that people. Plus, it's a bit off-putting to hear the analogy of your own society so routinely and casually besmirched.

I wanted to read a fantasy book. Instead I got a well-dressed proselytization pamphlet that bemoaned my entire cultural identity. ( )
  Jeremy_Rolfe | May 30, 2016 |
The first book of this series, The Name of the Wind, was slow at points, but that was expected since the author has to give background information on the characters and this world. Therefore, I expected the pace to pick up significantly in this second installment of The Kingkiller Chronicles. I was wrong. Rothfuss continued his snail-like pacing as Kvothe wanders through life, and we didn't miss one second of it (that's how it seemed in my mind). Unless the author does an unbelievable job of tying the various sub-plots together in the final book, I'm going to feel like tons of pages were wasted on Kvothe's encounters with other cultures.

It seemed as though the author's imagination ran wild with all of the details of this world and Kvothe's life, and he decided to share all of them instead of streamlining them for the sake of a solid story. One example of this is Kvothe's sex fest with Felurian, and then his transformation from a boy who is speechless around girls to a dude who has "relations" with many women. It was quite odd and unnecessary for the story.

Having said all of that, I ripped through this book because I really like the characters Rothfuss has created. I genuinely like Kvothe and want to see how or if the innkeeper finds his will for life once again. I will definitely buy the final book as soon as it is available. ( )
  codyacunningham | May 9, 2016 |
Rothfuss takes to the Hero’s Journey with a passion and depth that routinely turns the trite into the transcendent.
added by Aerrin99 | editOnion AV Club, Zack Handlen (Mar 17, 2011)

Rothfuss works all the well-worn conventions of the genre, with a shadow cloak here and a stinging sword there and lots of wizardry throughout, blending a thoroughly prosaic prose style with the heft-of-tome ambitions of a William T. Vollmann. This is a great big book indeed, but not much happens—which, to judge by the success of its predecessor, will faze readers not a whit.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribeiro, VeraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my patient fans, for reading the blog and telling me what they really want is an excellent book, even if it takes a little longer.

To my clever beta readers, for their invaluable help and toleration of my paranoid secrecy.

To my fabulous agent, for keeping the wolves from the door in more ways than one.

To my wise editor, for giving me the time and space to write a book that fills me with pride.

To my loving family, for supporting me and reminding me that leaving the house every once in a while is a good thing.

To my understanding girlfriend, for not leaving me when the stress of endless revision made me frothy and monstrous.

To my sweet baby, for loving his daddy even though I have to go away and write all the time. Even when we're having a really great time. Even when we're talking about ducks.
Dawn was coming. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Deutsche Ausgabe wurde in 2 Teile geteilt

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756404738, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, March 2011: The Wise Man's Fear continues the mesmerizing slow reveal of the story of Kvothe the Bloodless, an orphaned actor who became a fearsome hero before banishing himself to a tiny town in the middle of Newarre. The readers of Patrick Rothfuss's outstanding first book, The Name of the Wind, which has gathered both a cult following and a wide readership in the four years since it came out, will remember that Kvothe promised to tell his tale of wonder and woe to Chronicler, the king's scribe, in three days. The Wise Man's Fear makes up day two, and uncovers enough to satisfy readers and make them desperate for the full tale, from Kvothe's rapidly escalating feud with Ambrose to the shockingly brutal events that mark his transformation into a true warrior, and to his encounters with Felurian and the Adem. Rothfuss remains a remarkably adept and inventive storyteller, and Kvothe's is a riveting tale about a boy who becomes a man who becomes a hero and a killer, spinning his own mythology out of the ether until he traps himself within it. Drop everything and read these books. --Daphne Durham

Author One-on-One: Patrick Rothfuss and Brandon Sanderson
In an exclusive interview for Amazon.com, epic fantasy authors Patrick Rothfuss (The Wise Man's Fear) and Brandon Sanderson (Towers of Midnight) sat down to discuss collaborating with publishers, dealing with success, and what goes into creating and editing their work.

Rothfuss: Heya Brandon.

Sanderson: Hey there, Pat. Nice talking with you again.

Rothfuss: Thanks for being willing to do this. I know you're insanely busy these days.

Okay. Let me just jump right in here with a question. How long was Way of Kings? I heard a rumor that the ARC I read was 400,000 words long. It didn't really feel like it…

Sanderson: Let me see. I will open it right now and word count it, so you have an exact number. It’s 386,470 words, though the version you read was an advance manuscript, before I did my final 10% tightening draft, which was 423,557 words.

I didn’t really want it to be that long. At that length we’re running into problems with foreign publishers having to split it and all sorts of issues with making the paperback have enough space. I didn’t set out to write a thousand-page, 400,000-word book. It’s just what the novel demanded.

Rothfuss: Wise Man's Fear ended up being 395,000 words. And that's despite the fact that I've been pruning it back at every opportunity for more than a year. I'd spend weeks trimming superfluous words and phrases, extra lines of dialogue, slightly redundant description until the book was 12,000 words shorter.

Then a month later I'd realize I needed to add a scene to bring better resolution to a plot line. Then I'd add a couple paragraphs to clarify some some character interaction. Then I'd expand an action scene to improve tension. Suddenly the book's 8,000 words longer again.

Sanderson: Yeah, that’s exactly how it goes.

It’s very rare that I’m able to cut entire scenes. If I can cut entire scenes that means there’s something fundamentally not working with the sequence and I usually end up tossing the whole thing and rewriting it. But trimming, or pruning as you described it, works very well with my fiction.

I can usually cut fifteen percent off just by nurturing the text, pruning it, looking for the extraneous words and phrases. But I wonder if in doing that there’s a tendency to compensate. There’s a concept in dieting that if someone starts working out really hard, they start to say, “Well, that means I can now eat more,” and you’ll find people compensating for the extra calorie loss by eating more because they feel they can. I wonder if we do that with our fiction. I mean, I will get done with this big long trim and I’ll say, “Great, now I have the space to do this extra thing that I really think the story needs,” and then the story ends up going back to just as long.

Though at least in my case I can blame my editor too. He’s very good with helping me with line edits, but where we perhaps fuel each other in the wrong way is that he’ll say, “Ooh, it’d be awesome if you add this,” or “This scene needs this,” or “Can you explain this?” And I say, “Yes! I can explain that. I’d love to!” And then of course the book gets longer and then we both have to go to Tom Doherty with our eyes downward saying, “Um, the book is really long again, Tom. Sorry.”

I have a question for you, then. Did you always intend the Kingkiller Chronicle to be three days split across three books? Or did you start writing it as one book and then split it? What’s the real story behind that?

Rothfuss: Assuming I had any sort of plan at the beginning is a big mistake. I just started writing. I didn't have a plan. I didn't know what I was doing.

For years and years I just thought of it as The Book in my head. I've always thought of it as one big story. Then, eventually I realized it would need to be broken up into volumes.

I can't say why I picked three books except that three is a good number. It's sort of the classic number. And while the story is working well in this format, part of me wishes I'd broken it into smaller chunks. This second book has so many plotlines. If I'd written this trilogy as say, 10 books, each one would be much shorter and self contained. More like the Dresden Files.

That's pointless musing though. I'm sure if I'd written smaller volumes right now I'd be thinking, "Oh! if only I'd written these as longer books I could play more with interwoven plot lines…"

Read the full interview

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:40 -0400)

Kvothe takes his first steps on the path of the hero as he attempts to uncover the truth about the mysterious Amyr, the Chandrian, and the death of his parents. Along the way, Kvothe is put on trial by the legendary Adem mercenaries, forced to reclaim the honor of the Edema Ruh, and travels into the Fae realm where he meets Felurian, the faerie woman no man can resist.… (more)

Patrick Rothfuss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,520,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible