The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

The Wise Man's Fear (original 2011; edition 2010)

by Patrick Rothfuss

4,4452281,103 (4.35)1 / 236
Member:reading_fox
Title:The Wise Man's Fear
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:Gollancz, April 2010, Epub
Collections:Recommendations ONLY, Ebooks, Your library, Fantasy
Rating:***
Tags:!rot, /kvo02, fantasy, ebook, @2012, romance, sex, growing up, coming of age, university, too long

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (2011)

English (220)  Spanish (6)  All languages (226)
If you liked ‘The Name of the Wind’, you’ll like ‘The Wise Man’s Fear.’ The sequel continues in the vein of the first book, slowly telling Kvothe’s story in lengthy flashback. Kvothes’ first priority is always finding any information he can on the Chandrian – the mysterious group of seven who killed his family. But along the way, he pursues his studies as an arcanist, pursues the hard-to-pin down Denna, and plays his lute at the local pub… So far, so much like the first book. About half way through, it starts to change up… Kvothe goes questing, spends an extended amount of time in Faerie with a magical lover, and ends up in a different culture that teaches him martial arts, practices free love, and hands out a mystical sword. I found the latter two idylls a bit too typical-of-the-genre; but overall I still loved the book, and can’t wait for the third in the series to arrive! ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I really really wanted to enjoy this book more than I did.

Firstly, Rothfuss's writing is beautiful, I really love his style but the content of this second installment really fell short.

At the end of The Name Of The Wind, I was left with so many burning questions like: What happened to Kvothe in the present? Who is Bast? Will Kvothe ever get the girl, Denna? Will he get expelled from the University? Will he ever avenge his parents against the Chandrian?

None of these questions were answered for me and I felt the book dragged forever. It showed as 1108 pages on my e-reader and because it did not leave me on the edge of my seat, wanting to desperately find out what happened next, it took me ages to read.

The book did not start to annoy me until it hit the Felarian part where Kvothe spends ages with a fae sex addict, having sex constantly and doing little else. After he gets away with a 'shaed' (which is a magical cloak sewn from moonlight), he precedes to have sex with any woman that will have him - I found it all in very poor taste and not to mention completely random.

The Denna storyline was very annoying as well - she just seems to show up randomly with many different men who she procedes to run away from when they want more from her after giving her many expensive gifts. Is she a whore? High class escort or what? Is she really so dim that she thinks men just want to be a true and honest friend to her and is shocked when they want romance? I just don't get it. I really don't understand what she adds to the story seeing as the reader is told she is integral to the story.

All in all, I feel like all the best bits are being left to the third installment which will probably be double the length of this book. George R R Martin is guilty of this as well, but I am sick of middle installments of books that are just full of fluff to pad the story out and give so little plot. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
Holy crap, this was good book. I can tell because whenever I took a break, like to eat or sleep, I felt guilty for not reading it. Captivating from beginning to end. The worst part of it was that now I have to wait an unknown amount of time until the next one. ( )
  beertraveler | Feb 5, 2016 |
Recommended by Mr. Chevalier.
  EDHSLC | Feb 4, 2016 |
I marked this review as a spoiler. I do bring up a few things that could be considered spoilers, but I don't go into too much detail. Read it and you'll see.

What I really enjoyed out of this book are the "stories within a story", and told in so many different ways. Consider this: Kvothe, the main character of the book, is telling his story of years gone by. But, while telling his story, you quickly learn of the superstitions of others that he tells about- demons, fairies, outlandish magics. In almost every case, these exaggerated stories are unwrinkled, laid out flat, and you learn the truth of them. Sure, in their exaggerated state, they have kernels of truth that they were based on. But, you find out the real truth and how realistic, and almost unexciting they are.

Also, as Kvothe weaves his story, he slowly builds a reputation for himself in many ways. You see his story, the simplistic, straight forward, everyday way-of-life, and yet, stories of his life spread. When they finally come back to his ears, while the kernels of truth remain, they've evolved into fantastic fantasies that make you laugh. On the flip side of that coin, you hear stories of a culture that are equally amazing and astounding. Only, when you meet the culture, and get to know their people, that the outlandish claims are just that- outlandish.

This is what makes Rothfuss a good writer- story telling. The whole series up to this point, is just "bedtime stories" or "campfire stories", but they're fun, and light, and quick, and short, and flexible. They're easy to remember, to the point that I would probably tell a couple of them myself, and see how they pass off in front of others. My guess is, they would do well.

However, his writing isn't perfect. This book is about 50% longer than the first, and it feels it at times. There were parts of the book for me that wore a bit thin. Not that I hated the story, or was eager to get past it. Just that it wasn't as engaging as it could have been. In fact, I do think that's one of Rothfuss' weaknesses- he wants to pour so much into the story, that it tends to get a wearisome and long in spots. Not all the time, mind you. Just occasionally, but enough that you notice it. It showed in his first book, such as when Kvothe is earning his pipes, and a bit more in this one.

There were actually 3 stories in this book that I really did not like. Kvothe meets up the Ademe, an elitist isolationist culture that doesn't understand the basics of baby making. To them, everyone are barbarians, uncouth, uncultured, unmoral swine. Yet, something as clear as baby making, which billions of living creatures have known for millennium and millennium, is foreign to them. They can't understand that it takes a male and a female to reproduce. Women just have them when they want. That just didn't sit well with me. By the time it had gotten to that point in the story, I was already checked out with the culture, due to a number of other problems with their attitudes. I just didn't like it.

The second story is when Kvothe kills a group of 9 pretending to be Edema Rue. Kvothe comes to a quick assuming conclusion that the troupe he meets in the forest are bandits posing as Edema Rue, and that they are raping 2 girls they likely stole. So, he sets a plan into action quick to poison them, then slaughter them like pigs, only to find out that he still had unanswered questions about how they got the troupe wagons, the girls, and why. For me, it was a mix of assumptions, hanging on a thread, with circumstantial evidence, and that was reason enough for murder.

The final story is the one I take the most issues with. He sets fire to a building to get back at Ambrose Jackis, despite the establishment being owned by someone else. Kvothe is no saint, but this was darker than I expected out of his character. In the first book, I had come to the conclusion that he's witty, quick on his feet, light hearted, and perhaps a bit wreckless. But intentionally vandalizing someone else's building, fire of all things, for a petty dispute between him and another character? This seemed out of place to me.

In reality, however, I can't critique Rothfuss too badly for painting Kvothe as a rougher-around-the-edges sort of character. I will, however, take issue with him writing an isolated culture that is _old_, and doesn't understand the basics of baby making. That's just primal- every creature understands it. Except for the Ademe in this book. Yet, they thrive and prosper.

Meh. Everything else about the book was good. I listened to the audiobook this time, and was delighted to see the character differences between Manet, Willem, and Simmen that I was clearly missing when reading the first paperback. I thought Rothfuss did a fantastic job explaining the magic system, grounding it in some sort of science. I loved watching Kvothe's reputation grow as it proceeded him. And, I loved the twist at the end of the book. That took me completely off guard.

The book does have some "sexy time", as I was warned before reading it. But its done in a thoughtful manner, not overly descriptive, and tasteful. It was well done, and I enjoyed reading it. There is a touch of language too, but nothing overly vulgar. The whole book has an small feeling of Japanese culture with it, but just a hint. It's a nice touch, I think. ( )
  atoponce | Jan 29, 2016 |
Rothfuss takes to the Hero’s Journey with a passion and depth that routinely turns the trite into the transcendent.
added by Aerrin99 | editOnion AV Club, Zack Handlen (Mar 17, 2011)

Rothfuss works all the well-worn conventions of the genre, with a shadow cloak here and a stinging sword there and lots of wizardry throughout, blending a thoroughly prosaic prose style with the heft-of-tome ambitions of a William T. Vollmann. This is a great big book indeed, but not much happens—which, to judge by the success of its predecessor, will faze readers not a whit.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribeiro, VeraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my patient fans, for reading the blog and telling me what they really want is an excellent book, even if it takes a little longer.

To my clever beta readers, for their invaluable help and toleration of my paranoid secrecy.

To my fabulous agent, for keeping the wolves from the door in more ways than one.

To my wise editor, for giving me the time and space to write a book that fills me with pride.

To my loving family, for supporting me and reminding me that leaving the house every once in a while is a good thing.

To my understanding girlfriend, for not leaving me when the stress of endless revision made me frothy and monstrous.

To my sweet baby, for loving his daddy even though I have to go away and write all the time. Even when we're having a really great time. Even when we're talking about ducks.
Dawn was coming. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Deutsche Ausgabe wurde in 2 Teile geteilt

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756404738, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, March 2011: The Wise Man's Fear continues the mesmerizing slow reveal of the story of Kvothe the Bloodless, an orphaned actor who became a fearsome hero before banishing himself to a tiny town in the middle of Newarre. The readers of Patrick Rothfuss's outstanding first book, The Name of the Wind, which has gathered both a cult following and a wide readership in the four years since it came out, will remember that Kvothe promised to tell his tale of wonder and woe to Chronicler, the king's scribe, in three days. The Wise Man's Fear makes up day two, and uncovers enough to satisfy readers and make them desperate for the full tale, from Kvothe's rapidly escalating feud with Ambrose to the shockingly brutal events that mark his transformation into a true warrior, and to his encounters with Felurian and the Adem. Rothfuss remains a remarkably adept and inventive storyteller, and Kvothe's is a riveting tale about a boy who becomes a man who becomes a hero and a killer, spinning his own mythology out of the ether until he traps himself within it. Drop everything and read these books. --Daphne Durham

Author One-on-One: Patrick Rothfuss and Brandon Sanderson
In an exclusive interview for Amazon.com, epic fantasy authors Patrick Rothfuss (The Wise Man's Fear) and Brandon Sanderson (Towers of Midnight) sat down to discuss collaborating with publishers, dealing with success, and what goes into creating and editing their work.

Rothfuss: Heya Brandon.

Sanderson: Hey there, Pat. Nice talking with you again.

Rothfuss: Thanks for being willing to do this. I know you're insanely busy these days.

Okay. Let me just jump right in here with a question. How long was Way of Kings? I heard a rumor that the ARC I read was 400,000 words long. It didn't really feel like it…

Sanderson: Let me see. I will open it right now and word count it, so you have an exact number. It’s 386,470 words, though the version you read was an advance manuscript, before I did my final 10% tightening draft, which was 423,557 words.

I didn’t really want it to be that long. At that length we’re running into problems with foreign publishers having to split it and all sorts of issues with making the paperback have enough space. I didn’t set out to write a thousand-page, 400,000-word book. It’s just what the novel demanded.

Rothfuss: Wise Man's Fear ended up being 395,000 words. And that's despite the fact that I've been pruning it back at every opportunity for more than a year. I'd spend weeks trimming superfluous words and phrases, extra lines of dialogue, slightly redundant description until the book was 12,000 words shorter.

Then a month later I'd realize I needed to add a scene to bring better resolution to a plot line. Then I'd add a couple paragraphs to clarify some some character interaction. Then I'd expand an action scene to improve tension. Suddenly the book's 8,000 words longer again.

Sanderson: Yeah, that’s exactly how it goes.

It’s very rare that I’m able to cut entire scenes. If I can cut entire scenes that means there’s something fundamentally not working with the sequence and I usually end up tossing the whole thing and rewriting it. But trimming, or pruning as you described it, works very well with my fiction.

I can usually cut fifteen percent off just by nurturing the text, pruning it, looking for the extraneous words and phrases. But I wonder if in doing that there’s a tendency to compensate. There’s a concept in dieting that if someone starts working out really hard, they start to say, “Well, that means I can now eat more,” and you’ll find people compensating for the extra calorie loss by eating more because they feel they can. I wonder if we do that with our fiction. I mean, I will get done with this big long trim and I’ll say, “Great, now I have the space to do this extra thing that I really think the story needs,” and then the story ends up going back to just as long.

Though at least in my case I can blame my editor too. He’s very good with helping me with line edits, but where we perhaps fuel each other in the wrong way is that he’ll say, “Ooh, it’d be awesome if you add this,” or “This scene needs this,” or “Can you explain this?” And I say, “Yes! I can explain that. I’d love to!” And then of course the book gets longer and then we both have to go to Tom Doherty with our eyes downward saying, “Um, the book is really long again, Tom. Sorry.”

I have a question for you, then. Did you always intend the Kingkiller Chronicle to be three days split across three books? Or did you start writing it as one book and then split it? What’s the real story behind that?

Rothfuss: Assuming I had any sort of plan at the beginning is a big mistake. I just started writing. I didn't have a plan. I didn't know what I was doing.

For years and years I just thought of it as The Book in my head. I've always thought of it as one big story. Then, eventually I realized it would need to be broken up into volumes.

I can't say why I picked three books except that three is a good number. It's sort of the classic number. And while the story is working well in this format, part of me wishes I'd broken it into smaller chunks. This second book has so many plotlines. If I'd written this trilogy as say, 10 books, each one would be much shorter and self contained. More like the Dresden Files.

That's pointless musing though. I'm sure if I'd written smaller volumes right now I'd be thinking, "Oh! if only I'd written these as longer books I could play more with interwoven plot lines…"

Read the full interview

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:40 -0400)

Kvothe takes his first steps on the path of the hero as he attempts to uncover the truth about the mysterious Amyr, the Chandrian, and the death of his parents. Along the way, Kvothe is put on trial by the legendary Adem mercenaries, forced to reclaim the honor of the Edema Ruh, and travels into the Fae realm where he meets Felurian, the faerie woman no man can resist.… (more)

Patrick Rothfuss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,201,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible