The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

The Wise Man's Fear (original 2011; edition 2010)

by Patrick Rothfuss

4,0521951,256 (4.34)1 / 233
Member:reading_fox
Title:The Wise Man's Fear
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:Gollancz, April 2010, Epub
Collections:Recommendations ONLY, Ebooks, Your library, Fantasy
Rating:***
Tags:!rot, /kvo02, fantasy, ebook, @2012, romance, sex, growing up, coming of age, university, too long

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (2011)

English (189)  Spanish (6)  All languages (195)
There are so many things the author is trying to do with this series. Romance, adventure, poetry, mysticism, multi-cultural awareness, feminism... Some parts flew by for me, others dragged and dragged. I will be very interested to see the continuing adventure of Kvothe (the e is silent.) ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
This series has given me a reading experience unlike anything before it and I feel lucky to have stumbled upon it so late as my waiting time for the third book is greatly diminished from the hardcore fans. Where do I start? How does a relatively poor writer review the words of someone infinitely more talented?

To begin with it inspired so many feelings that had me all over the place but the whole time I felt the gentle nudging of Patrick Rothfuss weaving it all together so it was a comfortable journey. There is so much building and growing done in this book that it just swept me away every time I picked it up. I’ve heard from other readers this is a love/hate book though I cannot imagine how anyone who enjoyed the first one, could not have enjoyed this one and why if you didn’t enjoy the first one, you would jump into another 1000 page yard by the same fella. I got exactly what I expected after reading The Name of the Wind.

The pacing has a life of it’s own. Sometimes I feel like I am sliding down an incredibly gentle slope that picks up speed ever so slowly but has me on a track so I know I’ll never fall off. Other times the tension and excitement was like a thousand giants charging across a vast distance that started with a tiny rumble but grew and grew and left me horrifyingly stuck to what I was reading but wanting to turn my head to avoid the inevitable. Every detail felt important and I loved the way Rothfuss seemed to effortlessly draw so much from so little. He takes a moment and peels back layer after layer of emotion and detail, it is fleshed out without ever being, or even approaching, an overly ponderous exploration and he makes it entirely relatable to the reader. Don’t ask me how the hell he does it but he does.

I read this over the course of a few busy months whilst renovating a house and finished it last night. Often times you forget a book or what has taken place but every time I picked this up the story came flooding back as did all my feelings for the characters. Kvothe, Auri, Bast and Dev are like points of a compass and at any time one will be there to point you on track and steer you down a pathway into their lives. They are unflinchingly full and real, despite coming from unreal place.

In terms of the narrative we at last leave the University and for me that was the major pay off of this book. We’ve seen Kvothe go through many things during his time at study so the chance to see him venture into the outside world and start to earn the reputation that we know he has, is exactly what I was hoping for. Encounters with Bandits, the challenge of bringing together a group of mercenaries, earning their respect and leading them to victory, not to mention some serious boom boom time with the hottest faerie in the forest, Felurian.

I love Bast as a side character because he is my voice, which makes me a pretty powerful guy, which in turn is pretty cool. I felt like his struggles mirrored my own as it was upsetting to see the incredible man Kvothe seemed to be when compared to the man he currently is and it is Bast that expresses this the most. It was heartbreaking to see Kvothe get his ass kicked by a well-trained soldier in the present and the inability of Bast to accept this had happened or justify it to himself was similar to what I felt. I expected him to be all-powerful and that sense of ‘something is wrong here’ that Bast seems to puzzle over was something I felt myself going through. I am desperate to see him reclaim his former glory. I only hope Rothfuss is too and can figure out a way for it to happen.

Amazing book. I don’t want to see Kvothe become a killer of kings but when the third book does come out I will be eagerly waiting in line to get my copy.

This review and more like it can be found at www.areadingmachine.com ( )
  areadingmachine | Jul 6, 2015 |
I loved this even more than the first book. Patrick Rothfuss is fast becoming my favorite author and I can't wait for the new book and anything else he will write. This book further develops the awesome story and I loved the characters even more this time around. I can't wait to see how the story ends! I love this series, read it! ( )
  barbiefly | Jun 18, 2015 |
This book reflects what happened in the author's life after the Name of the wind was published, I think he went from an under confident middle aged man who may or may not have lived with his mom to a best selling author.

or maybe I am just making excuses for him so that I can hope for a better book 3. ( )
  Iceform | May 31, 2015 |
Rothfuss takes to the Hero’s Journey with a passion and depth that routinely turns the trite into the transcendent.
added by Aerrin99 | editOnion AV Club, Zack Handlen (Mar 17, 2011)

Rothfuss works all the well-worn conventions of the genre, with a shadow cloak here and a stinging sword there and lots of wizardry throughout, blending a thoroughly prosaic prose style with the heft-of-tome ambitions of a William T. Vollmann. This is a great big book indeed, but not much happens—which, to judge by the success of its predecessor, will faze readers not a whit.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my patient fans, for reading the blog and telling me what they really want is an excellent book, even if it takes a little longer.

To my clever beta readers, for their invaluable help and toleration of my paranoid secrecy.

To my fabulous agent, for keeping the wolves from the door in more ways than one.

To my wise editor, for giving me the time and space to write a book that fills me with pride.

To my loving family, for supporting me and reminding me that leaving the house every once in a while is a good thing.

To my understanding girlfriend, for not leaving me when the stress of endless revision made me frothy and monstrous.

To my sweet baby, for loving his daddy even though I have to go away and write all the time. Even when we're having a really great time. Even when we're talking about ducks.
Dawn was coming. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Deutsche Ausgabe wurde in 2 Teile geteilt

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756404738, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, March 2011: The Wise Man's Fear continues the mesmerizing slow reveal of the story of Kvothe the Bloodless, an orphaned actor who became a fearsome hero before banishing himself to a tiny town in the middle of Newarre. The readers of Patrick Rothfuss's outstanding first book, The Name of the Wind, which has gathered both a cult following and a wide readership in the four years since it came out, will remember that Kvothe promised to tell his tale of wonder and woe to Chronicler, the king's scribe, in three days. The Wise Man's Fear makes up day two, and uncovers enough to satisfy readers and make them desperate for the full tale, from Kvothe's rapidly escalating feud with Ambrose to the shockingly brutal events that mark his transformation into a true warrior, and to his encounters with Felurian and the Adem. Rothfuss remains a remarkably adept and inventive storyteller, and Kvothe's is a riveting tale about a boy who becomes a man who becomes a hero and a killer, spinning his own mythology out of the ether until he traps himself within it. Drop everything and read these books. --Daphne Durham

Author One-on-One: Patrick Rothfuss and Brandon Sanderson
In an exclusive interview for Amazon.com, epic fantasy authors Patrick Rothfuss (The Wise Man's Fear) and Brandon Sanderson (Towers of Midnight) sat down to discuss collaborating with publishers, dealing with success, and what goes into creating and editing their work.

Rothfuss: Heya Brandon.

Sanderson: Hey there, Pat. Nice talking with you again.

Rothfuss: Thanks for being willing to do this. I know you're insanely busy these days.

Okay. Let me just jump right in here with a question. How long was Way of Kings? I heard a rumor that the ARC I read was 400,000 words long. It didn't really feel like it…

Sanderson: Let me see. I will open it right now and word count it, so you have an exact number. It’s 386,470 words, though the version you read was an advance manuscript, before I did my final 10% tightening draft, which was 423,557 words.

I didn’t really want it to be that long. At that length we’re running into problems with foreign publishers having to split it and all sorts of issues with making the paperback have enough space. I didn’t set out to write a thousand-page, 400,000-word book. It’s just what the novel demanded.

Rothfuss: Wise Man's Fear ended up being 395,000 words. And that's despite the fact that I've been pruning it back at every opportunity for more than a year. I'd spend weeks trimming superfluous words and phrases, extra lines of dialogue, slightly redundant description until the book was 12,000 words shorter.

Then a month later I'd realize I needed to add a scene to bring better resolution to a plot line. Then I'd add a couple paragraphs to clarify some some character interaction. Then I'd expand an action scene to improve tension. Suddenly the book's 8,000 words longer again.

Sanderson: Yeah, that’s exactly how it goes.

It’s very rare that I’m able to cut entire scenes. If I can cut entire scenes that means there’s something fundamentally not working with the sequence and I usually end up tossing the whole thing and rewriting it. But trimming, or pruning as you described it, works very well with my fiction.

I can usually cut fifteen percent off just by nurturing the text, pruning it, looking for the extraneous words and phrases. But I wonder if in doing that there’s a tendency to compensate. There’s a concept in dieting that if someone starts working out really hard, they start to say, “Well, that means I can now eat more,” and you’ll find people compensating for the extra calorie loss by eating more because they feel they can. I wonder if we do that with our fiction. I mean, I will get done with this big long trim and I’ll say, “Great, now I have the space to do this extra thing that I really think the story needs,” and then the story ends up going back to just as long.

Though at least in my case I can blame my editor too. He’s very good with helping me with line edits, but where we perhaps fuel each other in the wrong way is that he’ll say, “Ooh, it’d be awesome if you add this,” or “This scene needs this,” or “Can you explain this?” And I say, “Yes! I can explain that. I’d love to!” And then of course the book gets longer and then we both have to go to Tom Doherty with our eyes downward saying, “Um, the book is really long again, Tom. Sorry.”

I have a question for you, then. Did you always intend the Kingkiller Chronicle to be three days split across three books? Or did you start writing it as one book and then split it? What’s the real story behind that?

Rothfuss: Assuming I had any sort of plan at the beginning is a big mistake. I just started writing. I didn't have a plan. I didn't know what I was doing.

For years and years I just thought of it as The Book in my head. I've always thought of it as one big story. Then, eventually I realized it would need to be broken up into volumes.

I can't say why I picked three books except that three is a good number. It's sort of the classic number. And while the story is working well in this format, part of me wishes I'd broken it into smaller chunks. This second book has so many plotlines. If I'd written this trilogy as say, 10 books, each one would be much shorter and self contained. More like the Dresden Files.

That's pointless musing though. I'm sure if I'd written smaller volumes right now I'd be thinking, "Oh! if only I'd written these as longer books I could play more with interwoven plot lines…"

Read the full interview

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:40 -0400)

Kvothe takes his first steps on the path of the hero as he attempts to uncover the truth about the mysterious Amyr, the Chandrian, and the death of his parents. Along the way, Kvothe is put on trial by the legendary Adem mercenaries, forced to reclaim the honor of the Edema Ruh, and travels into the Fae realm where he meets Felurian, the faerie woman no man can resist.… (more)

Patrick Rothfuss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,478,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible