Florida Road Kill: A Novel by Tim Dorsey

Florida Road Kill: A Novel (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Tim Dorsey

609None16,020 (3.73)16
Member:MikeBriggs
Title:Florida Road Kill: A Novel
Authors:Tim Dorsey
Info:HarperTorch (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Series, To read
Tags:Fiction, Humor, Florida, USA, Bought from Library, Paperback, Own, Have But Not Yet Read, Series, 1st in Series, 1st Novel, Serge A. Storms, HarperTorch

Florida Roadkill by Tim Dorsey (1999)

baseball (3) comedy (4) contemporary (4) crime (25) crime fiction (9) dark humor (5) drugs (4) ebook (6) fiction (67) first edition (3) Florida (49) florida fiction (10) humor (58) murder (6) mystery (50) novel (4) own (6) paperback (6) pb (5) read (8) satire (7) Serge (4) Serge Storms (16) serial killer (7) series (10) signed (6) thriller (7) to-read (14) unread (5) wishlist (3)

if you like... Carl Hiassen
  aletheia21 | Aug 23, 2013 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |
I can't stand the character Serge. While Dorsey's books have lots of humorous situations they are spoiled by Serge's violence. ( )
  EctopicBrain | Dec 4, 2012 |
If a book can have attention deficit disorder, than this is it. Florida Roadkill, zips around from character to character in a drug induced (or deprived) whirlwind following several Florida locals across the state on a murdering rampage in search of a suitcase filled with five million dollars. The main character, if there is one, is Serge Storms who travels the state with his partner in crime Coleman, sharing the sites and wonders of Florida and killing anyone who may (or may not) get in their way. Dorsey pokes fun at many Florida stereotypes, which I am sure are much more appreciated by true Floridians. However, the Florida jokes that did not fly over my head were chuckle-worthy and those that I didn't get... well, than I didn't.

Florida Roadkill definitely falls into the black humor category and was unexpectedly entertaining. If you are prone to seizures from strobe lights or if indiscriminate murdering sprees are not your cup of tea you may want to pass this book up and find something a little less adrenaline fueled. ( )
  JechtShot | Oct 2, 2011 |
Initiation to Serge Storm and his partner in crime Coleman. We find out how the two meet and how they came to be who they are...they met in prison.
I am addicted to this series. I feel like I am on amphetamines when I am reading the crime spree these two go on. But, they are the funniest serial killers on the market. ( )
  FMRox | May 1, 2011 |
For Janine, Erin and Kelly
Florida even looks good collapsing.
The Sun will not rise, or set, without my notice and thanks.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006113922X, Paperback)

Sunshine State trivia buff Serge A. Storms loves eliminating jerks and pests. His drug-addled partner Coleman loves cartoons. Hot stripper Sharon Rhodes loves cocaine, especially when purchased with rich dead men's money.

On the other hand, there's Sean and David, who love fishing and are kind to animals -- and who are about to cross paths with a suitcase filled with $5 million in stolen insurance money. Serge wants the suitcase. Sharon wants the suitcase. Coleman wants more drugs . . . and the suitcase. In the meantime, there's murder by gun, Space Shuttle, Barbie doll, and Levi's 501s.

In other words, welcome to Tim Dorsey's Florida -- where nobody gets out unscathed and untanned!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:49 -0400)

Recounts several months in the lives of about 15 losers who are lower on the criminal food chain than even an Elmore Leonard character. Take the insurance executive who has turned to money laundering to save his failing business after Hurricane Andrew; or the three thug wanna-bes who end up as vigilantes defending a community of senior citizens against their rapacious landlord; or take Serge and Coleman, who can only be described as Cheech and Chong with guns. What ties these characters together is the seventh game of the 1997 World Series in which the Florida Marlins defeated the Cleveland Indians in extra innings. From murder by Levi's 501s to the annual Running of the Hemingways in Key West, "Florida Roadkill" is a manic, violent, lyrical, and hysterically funny post-postmodern crime novel.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,448,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible