Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Life in a Medieval Village by Frances Gies

Life in a Medieval Village (edition 1991)

by Frances Gies

Member:knittingfreak
Title:Life in a Medieval Village
Authors:Frances Gies
Info:Harper Perennial (1991), Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:***
Tags:middle ages, history, own, nonfiction

Life in a Medieval Village by Frances Gies

Very informative on the subject. ( )
  mwchase | Nov 6, 2018 |
An interesting topic with an engaging narrative and numerous illustrations. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Jul 25, 2018 |
Although I am getting to like these authors more, I confess I did not like this book as much as their other book 'Life in a Medieval Castle' which I read last year.

The main reason was that the first part of the book seemed to me very dull, tedious and rather slow. As a history student I shoud be more used to dry academic writing, but this was not a textbook and I found the dry recounting of facts and figures rather off putting in work of popular history.

Thankfully though, the book becomes a little more lively after the first 60 pages or so and the authors were back on form with thier informative and engaging historical narrative.

The chapters on Law and Order in the village, and 'The Parish' were particularly good, and the latter I especially enjoyed, and also liked the way that it made the subject seem far less complicated.

The only other objection that I had was that some of the attitides and interpretations of the authors did seem a little outdated (or else I simply did not agree with some of them), but since the book was first published in the 1970s this is probably to be expected.

Medievalgirl | Oct 4, 2016 |
GB/UK/ENGL/England, Cambridgeshire, Elton - History - Medieval period, 1066-1485/England, Cambridgeshire, Elton - Social life and customs - Medieval period, 1066-1485
  SGSLibrary | Sep 6, 2010 |
I like this book. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to know more about life in a medieval village. ( )
  89vine | Oct 22, 2008 |

Gies, Francesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gies, Josephmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Dorothy, Nathan, and Rosie
Prologue: Elton
"In the district of Huntingdon there is a certain village to which far-distant antiquity gave the name of Aethelintone," wrote the twelfth-century monk who chronicled the history of Ramsey Abbey, "on a most beautiful site, provided with a course of waters, in a pleasant plain of meadows with abundant grazing for cattle, and rich in fertile fields."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060920467, Paperback)

A lively, detailed picture of village life in the Middle Ages by the authors of Life in a Medieval City and Life in a Medieval Castle. "A good general introduction to the history of this period."--Los Angeles Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:56 -0400)

Focusing on the village of Elton in the English East Midlands, medieval peasants are portrayed at work and at play seven hundred years ago.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,476,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible