People of the Book: A Novel by Geraldine…

People of the Book: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Geraldine Brooks

Title:People of the Book: A Novel
Authors:Geraldine Brooks
Info:Penguin Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 372 pages
Tags:Fiction, Paperback

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (2008)

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Madonnas of Leningrad by Debra Dean (mrstreme)
    mrstreme: Similar history of how museum workers scrambled to save pieces of art during wartime
    Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both well written, and both follow an art object from end to beginning, through the hands of those who once owned it.
    Labyrinth by Kate Mosse (Johanna11)
    The Geographer's Library by Jon Fasman (VivianeoftheLake)
    Fugitive Blue by Claire Thomas (merry10)
    merry10: An imagined history of a 15th Century panel.
    A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell (Ciruelo)
    The Secret Book of Grazia dei Rossi by Jacqueline Park (Smiler69)
    The Books of Rachel by Joel Gross (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: Epic saga tracing the path of an object connected to those of Jewish descent.
    Small Gods by Terry Pratchett (CatyM)
    CatyM: A very different style of book from a very different genre, but an interesting commentary on the corruption/misuse of religious faith which complements this book's treatment of the same theme.
    A Delightful Compendium of Consolation by Burton L. Visotzky (Osbaldistone)
    The Thief of Time by John Boyne (Booksloth)
    The Book Nobody Read: Chasing the Revolutions of Nicolaus Copernicus by Owen Gingerich (oregonobsessionz)
    oregonobsessionz: This one may be a stretch, but anyone who read People of the Book for its historic and "books on books" aspects would probably enjoy The Book Nobody Read, a nonfiction account of an astronomer who seeks to account for all of the first and second editions of Copernicus' de Revolutionibus.… (more)
    The Book of God and Physics: A Novel of the Voynich Mystery by Enrique Joven (Osbaldistone)

English (371)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (380)
This was a wonderful listening. The story is about a Haggadah which was examined by Hannah who is an expert about religious artifacts. During the process of the analyses of the traces she has found in the Haggadah the book reveals the stories of the people who once owned the book. The stories are the history of Jewish people during the last 500 years in Europe. They are set in Adalusia, Venice, Vienna and Sarajevo. It's about the recurring expulsion of the Jews during the last centuries. The historical background is very well researched and makes this story so wonderful.
This story is also Hannah's story. During her research she finds out a lot about herself and her background, which is on a way linked to the stories in the book. ( )
  Ameise1 | Nov 10, 2015 |
Beautifully crafted tale about the history of a book, and all of the people who played a crucial role in its history. The story begins with Hannah, an Australian rare books specialist, who is assigned care of an old Jewish Haggadah. As Hannah studies the book, the reader also gets a glimpse into the lives of those who were responsible for its creation and survival over hundreds of years. the personal stories interwoven with Hannah's present day life made for a truly fascinating, human story. ( )
  klack128 | Oct 11, 2015 |
The story of a book, told in reverse, intertwined with the story of the woman restoring it. The title has two meanings, as the people connected to this book are Jewish, Muslim, and Christian - both People of the Book, and people of this specific book. I enjoyed the descriptions of book restoration techniques and I learned a bit of medieval history, but it was a little disappointing that the restorer was basically wrong about most of the book's journal. And while the reader finds out the truth, she does not. I suppose that's realistic, but it still bugged me a little. ( )
  melydia | Oct 9, 2015 |
There are few things I fear more than a trip to the dentist, but I would rather spend 10 hours in the dentist's chair than listen to this again.
I have a long commute to work, and while I generally prefer non-fiction, I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to what I listen to on the way. This is the only book on CD that I disliked so much I had to stop it while I was in the midst of driving.
The narrator (Edwina Wren) makes the dialogue of every non-native English speaker (and, alas, there are many) sound like Bela Lugosi. It was like having Count Dracula right there next to me on the highway and at traffic jams - but instead of telling me about some of his more interesting victims, he's reading his grocery list. "Bread, eggs, milk, grapes..." over and over and over. Because that's how incredibly boring this story is. I did not like the characters, I did not care about the Haggadah and halfway into this I finally returned it to the library. ( )
2 vote Eliz12 | Aug 13, 2015 |
Book conservator travels to Sarajevo to work on an illustrated haggadah saved from the recent conflict. ( )
  Colby_Glass | Aug 6, 2015 |
While peering through a microscope at a rime of salt crystals on the manuscript of the Haggadah, Hanna reflects that “the gold beaters, the stone grinders, the scribes, the binders” are “the people I feel most comfortable with. Sometimes in the quiet these people speak to me.” Though the reader’s sense of Hanna’s relationship with the Haggadah rarely deepens to such a level, Geraldine Brooks’s certainly has.
Brooks' novel meticulously, lovingly amalgamates mystery and history with the personal story of its heroine, rare-book expert and conservator Hanna Heath.
If Brooks becomes the new patron saint of booksellers, she deserves it. The stories of the Sarajevo Haggadah, both factual and fictional, are stirring testaments to the people of many faiths who risked all to save this priceless work.
added by DieFledermaus | editUSA Today, Susan Kelly (Jan 9, 2008)

Geraldine Brooksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wren, EdwinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There, where one burns books,
one in the end, burns men.

-- Heinrich Heine
For the librarians
I might as well say, right from the jump: it wasn't my usual kind of job.
The words stuck to his tongue like...the ashes that had fallen in a warm rain after the last book burning.
I wanted to give a sense of the people of the book, the different hands that had made it, used it, protected it.  I wanted it to be a gripping narrative, even suspenseful.

Hanna Heath, an Australian rare book expert, has been offered the job of a lifetime: analysis and conservation of the famed Sarajevo Haggadah, rescued from Serb shelling during the Bosnian war. Priceless and beautiful, the book is one of the earliest Jewish volumes ever to be illuminated with images. When Hanna discovers a series of tiny artificacts in its ancient binding -- an insect wing fragment, wine stains, salt crystals, a white hair -- she begins to unlock the book's mysteries, ushering in its exquisite and atmospheric past, from its salvation back to its creation through centuries of exile and war.

In 1996, Hanna Heath, a young Australian book conservator is called to analyze the famed Sarajevo Haggadah, a priceless six-hundred-year-old Jewish prayer book that has been salvaged from a destroyed Bosnian library. When Hanna discovers a series of artifacts in the centuries' old, she unwittingly exposes an international cover up.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible