Dream Chaser (A Dream-Hunter Novel, Book 3)…

Dream Chaser (A Dream-Hunter Novel, Book 3) (edition 2008)

by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Member:sexyvamp
Title:Dream Chaser (A Dream-Hunter Novel, Book 3)
Authors:Sherrilyn Kenyon
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2008), Edition: 1st, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:Dream Hunter

Dream Chaser by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Dream Chaser
3 Stars

A carbon copy of virtually every other book in the series. At least it isn’t as excruciating to read as Once Upon a Midnight Clear.

Xypher’s tortured hero status does not live up to its potential. Perhaps Kenyon has overdone this theme to the point of desensitization because Xypher’s suffering does not evoke any emotional reaction. Yes, he was betrayed by the woman he supposedly loved (haven't we seen this before … over and over?) and he was punished for centuries (again, been there, seen that…). Where is the originality in the characterization?

Simone is also similar to so many of Kenyon’s heroines - generous and caring, understanding and self-sacrificing. She can also kick ass along with the best of them (Tabitha, Katra, etc.) but there is nothing unique or particularly special about her (although she can see ghosts, which is kind of cool but completely underdeveloped and can’t hold a candle to Charley Davidson).

As to the romance, Simone and Xypher go from contempt to attraction to love in no time at all and have zero chemistry. There is also very little progression of the overall story arc aside from the introduction of Jaden, who is quite intriguing and we will apparently be seeing more of him. Hopefully, his book (if he gets one) will be better than this one.

Next up is Acheron - really hope it lives up to the hype. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book! It was funny, thrilling and the new characters in it was a great addition to this world! It left off right after the devil may cry and I settle right into it without any problems. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars was because some thing through the plot I could guess what would happen but all in all it was a good read! ( )
  stepintoabookworld | Nov 7, 2017 |
The Dream God Xypher has four weeks to prove his humanity or be returned to Hades in the Underworld. Xypher instead uses his time to plot revenge against the one responsible for his imprisonment. Simone is a medical examiner with the gift of seeing and speaking to ghosts. Simone uses her gift to help solve murders. One night a chance meeting brings Xypher and Simone together. Xypher and Simone soon discover they need each other to survive the threats to them.

The author's love stories typically stem from "love at almost first sight." This romance stereotype does not really hinder my suspension of disbelief when she is utilizing it. The character development and the romance usually fit the situation without feeling forced. What appeals most to me about the Dark Hunter world is the substantial subplots that carry through the entire series. Sherrilyn Kenyon's stories are intricate and subtle clues span multiple books.

I liked Xypher. He is loud, overbearing and sarcastic but he has a troubled past that influences his present. His inner turmoil is very reality-based. And I am honestly more drawn to cranky brooding characters. It was tense debating his ability to do the right thing. Simone was charming enough, but I did not feel a huge connection to her. She had pivotal moments that held my attention. Her past family trauma and how it affects her was well-developed. The romance brewing between the two leads felt organic, and I rooted for their relationship.

This book further integrates the demon races of the series mythology. Here we learn no being, including demons, are evil at birth. It is the individual that chooses their emotional path. I appreciate this theme.

Dream Chaser would work as a stand-alone story. I suggest reading the entire series to enhance the experience. This book links to at least one plot from an earlier book. Repeat characters are present here, and characters introduced in this story become important later. (The demon broker character who we meet here is one of my favorites in the entire series.)

This review represents my opinion after the second read through of the book. All opinions are my own and may not match that of others. I urge all readers to come to their own conclusion. ( )
  2bluedragons | Oct 29, 2017 |
Audio- I almost skipped this book. The last dream Hunter book just did nothing for me. This one woke up my need for the Hunter world. This edition to the series has strong ties to the Dark Hunters, with a few characters overlapping into the story. It was exciting, mysterious, romantic, and set in New Orleans !
Simone Dubois and Dream-Hunter Xypher are the perfect mix of hot and cold. They are trapped together, and boy oh boy talk about opposites. Snicker** this is where the fun starts. They torture each other by pushing those buttons and some how growing closer. He fights it more than her but he needs her to stay alive so he can full fill his greatest desire revenge.
Dead bodies start showing up and there is something not right when the bodies get up and walk away. Simone is the medical examiner and is called in to advise on these deaths. What she finds out sends her and Xypher on a path that will change her and his future forever.
Blood, ghosts, death and evil.
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Loved it! It made me remember the early Dark Hunter's books and all the fuzzy and warm feelings it gave me. Sim and Xypher were great together and had an amazing chemistry, which made the story that much better. I loved the plot and how it hooked to Acheron's one. Can't wait! ( )
  msralways | Feb 3, 2015 |
Hatred is a bitter, damaging emotion.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312938829, Mass Market Paperback)

From #1 New York Times Bestselling Author Sherrilyn Kenyon

The spellbinding Dream-Hunter series continues!

Hades doesn’t often give second chances...

Xypher has one month on Earth to redeem himself through one good deed or be condemned to eternal torture in Tarturus. But redemption means little to a demigod who only wants vengeance on the one who caused his downfall.

Until one day in a cemetery...

Simone Dubois is a medical examiner with a real knack for the job. Those who are wrongfully killed appear to her and help her find the evidence the police need to convict their killers. But when a man appears and tells her that she’s more than just a psychic, she’s convinced he’s insane.

Now the fate of the world hangs in her hands...

It was bad enough when just the dead relied on her. Now’s there’s the seductive Dream-Hunter Xypher who needs Simone’s help in opening a portal to the Atlantean hell realm to fight insatiable demons. The future of mankind is at stake—and so is her life. The only question now is: Who is the bigger threat: the demons out to kill her, or the man who has left her forever changed?

“Brisk, ironic, sexy, and relentlessly imaginative.”—Boston Globe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:59 -0400)

Simone Dubois, a medical examiner with the unique power to read the minds of the wrongfully dead, is surprised to find herself helping Dream-Hunter Xypher, who has one month as a human to redeem himself or face eternal damnation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,354,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible