Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the…

Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Eric Schlosser

Member:Bayley
Title:Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal
Authors:Eric Schlosser
Info:Harper Perennial (2002), Paperback, 383 pages
Rating:*****

Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser (2001)

English (154)  Dutch (1)  All languages (155)
Valuable information, but nothing hippies and liberals haven't known for years. This is a great book to read if you're just getting interested in the politics and actual nutrient values of food, but if you've spent some time educating yourself on the subject this just states what you've known all along. Also, it's not very progressive--it mentions a few things that are wrong but doesn't get into anything radical. At least it's a step in the right direction! ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I thought this book was almost perfect. It is a great read...no doubt. Eric Schlosser goes into tremendous detail on the fast food culture. I thought it was great that he made other parallels that are indicative of today's society. We like things fast and easy. I thought that his attention to detail and the research that he conducted was outstanding.

Yes, he does go into gross detail about the actual food. However, what I found most frightening is how big business has been conditioning us as consumers through out all these years.

What I did not like about this book is that he did not keep a balance....politically. It was obvious to me that Mr. Schlosser is a card carrying Democrat. In his book, the Republican anything can be equated to Satan. The Clinton Administration can do no wrong. For the amount of detail that he researched about the industry it does not seem that he did objective research when it came to his political views.

I highly recommend this book to anyone. It is a very fascinating read. ( )
  DVerdecia | Jan 29, 2016 |
A really good book about the underbelly of the fast food world. Amazingly, it had the reverse effect on my though, the more I read, the more I wanted to go to McDonald's. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Rating 2.5
I completely agree with the premise of this book, but I felt that it was like someone knowing something is wrong and someone having proof something is wrong. Seemed the book pointed out lots of things that were wrong but most of the points were hearsay or were interviews with no one that could be named. This book explores and interviews people from the fields that raise the cattle, to the slaughterhouses to the store. Most of the stories he brings up are from the early to mid 90's so as of my 2015 reading things have probably changed quite a bit in 20 years. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
Rating 2.5
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
''Fast Food Nation'' provides the reader with a vivid sense of how fast food has permeated contemporary life and a fascinating (and sometimes grisly) account of the process whereby cattle and potatoes are transformed into the burgers and fries served up by local fast food franchises.

This is a fine piece of muckraking, alarming without being alarmist.

It is a serious piece of investigative journalism into an industry that has helped concentrate corporate ownership of American agribusiness, while engaging in labor practices that are often shameful.

Eric Schlosserprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brzustowski, GenevièveTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlatterer, HeikeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
楡井 浩一Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A savage servility slides by on grease. - Robert Lowell
for Red
Over the last three decades, fast food has infiltrated every nook and cranny of American Society.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060838582, Paperback)

On any given day, one out of four Americans opts for a quick and cheap meal at a fast-food restaurant, without giving either its speed or its thriftiness a second thought. Fast food is so ubiquitous that it now seems as American, and harmless, as apple pie. But the industry's drive for consolidation, homogenization, and speed has radically transformed America's diet, landscape, economy, and workforce, often in insidiously destructive ways. Eric Schlosser, an award-winning journalist, opens his ambitious and ultimately devastating exposé with an introduction to the iconoclasts and high school dropouts, such as Harlan Sanders and the McDonald brothers, who first applied the principles of a factory assembly line to a commercial kitchen. Quickly, however, he moves behind the counter with the overworked and underpaid teenage workers, onto the factory farms where the potatoes and beef are grown, and into the slaughterhouses run by giant meatpacking corporations. Schlosser wants you to know why those French fries taste so good (with a visit to the world's largest flavor company) and "what really lurks between those sesame-seed buns." Eater beware: forget your concerns about cholesterol, there is--literally--feces in your meat.

Schlosser's investigation reaches its frightening peak in the meatpacking plants as he reveals the almost complete lack of federal oversight of a seemingly lawless industry. His searing portrayal of the industry is disturbingly similar to Upton Sinclair's The Jungle, written in 1906: nightmare working conditions, union busting, and unsanitary practices that introduce E. coli and other pathogens into restaurants, public schools, and homes. Almost as disturbing is his description of how the industry "both feeds and feeds off the young," insinuating itself into all aspects of children's lives, even the pages of their school books, while leaving them prone to obesity and disease. Fortunately, Schlosser offers some eminently practical remedies. "Eating in the United States should no longer be a form of high-risk behavior," he writes. Where to begin? Ask yourself, is the true cost of having it "your way" really worth it? --Lesley Reed

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:41 -0400)

Presents an examination of the fast food industry, tracing its history and discussing how it arose in postwar America, as well as the impact it has had on economy, food production, and popular culture.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,812,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible