The Chalice and the Blade: Our History, Our…

The Chalice and the Blade: Our History, Our Future---Updated With a New… (original 1987; edition 2011)

by Riane Eisler (Author)

Now with an updated epilogue celebrating the 30th anniversary of this groundbreaking and increasingly relevant book. "May be the most significant work published in all our lifetimes." - LA Weekly The Chalice and the Blade tells a new story of our cultural origins. It shows that warfare and the war of the sexes are neither divinely nor biologically ordained. It provides verification that a better future is possible--and is in fact firmly rooted in the haunting dramas of what happened in our past.… (more)
Member:NeoWayland
Title:The Chalice and the Blade: Our History, Our Future---Updated With a New Epilogue
Authors:Riane Eisler (Author)
Info:HarperOne (2011), Edition: First, 304 pages

The Chalice and The Blade by Riane Eisler (1987)

English (16)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (22)
This is an extraordinary classic exploration of the transition to patriarchal, male dominated culture from matrilineal culture that was common, several thousand years ago, and perhaps the norm, when we go back 10,000 years and more.

Eisler builds a case based on copious anthropological and archaeological research and evidence, much of it in the form of recovered art from the times.
She offers a vision of how we could be living a more equal, less violent, less dominating way and culture that makes sense. The book just celebrated its 25th anniversary, has gone through over 25 printings and has been translated into 27 languages.

I did a one hour interview with her that was spectacular. What a wise woman. ( )
2 vote robkall | Jan 3, 2019 |
Required reading in a women's studies class. I hated this book. I think the author's bias totally colored her interpretation of artifact. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
I'm pretty sure I read most if not all of this for anthropology back when ( don't remember much about it now ) ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
A seminal, life-changing book. I cannot recommend it enough. Recent archaeology shows that during and before Crete (7000 to 3500 BC) we were a peaceful, nurturing, partnership society. Mostly vegan. Women had high status and often ruled. The great Goddess was worshipped.

Then the barbarians from the edges [like north of the Black Sea] invaded. They brought with them a dominator culture with warfare, slavery, meat eating, rule by men only and the dark ages. Women became property, like cattle. Our culture has been the same ever since.

Eisler makes a convincing argument that until we address women's issues, nothing else will improve. Similar arguments are made in _The World Peace Diet-, but he blames everything on the culture of eating meat. ( )
1 vote Colby_Glass | Nov 20, 2015 |
Good message, poor messenger. She overuses words like "science," "evidence," and "theory" for what amounts to opinion. It's a wonderful, beautiful, insightful cohesive opinion (feminism), but the book is really just a 400 page essay against misogyny. I'd like to hear this message from a real scientist, talking about a Crete excavation, say. ( )
  Victor_A_Davis | Sep 18, 2015 |
An ambitious new synthesis....[Eisler's] rigorous research... traces the unseen forces that shape human culture.

Validates a belief in humanity's capacity for benevolence and cooperation in the face of so much... destruction. Eisler has brought the scope of feminist scholarship out of the ghetto.
added by Jayfeather55 | editSunday San Francisco Examiner & Chronicle

The greatest murder mystery and cover-up of all time
added by Jayfeather55 | editNew Age Journal

Riane Eislerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hassi, SatuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David Loye,
my partner in life and work
Preserved in a cave sanctuary for over twenty thousand years, a female figure speaks to us about the minds of our early Western ancestors.

Introduction:

This book opens a door. The key to unlock it was fashioned by many people and many books, and it will take many more to fully explore the vast vistas that lie behind it. But even opening this door a crack reveals fascinating new knowledge about our past - and a new view of our potential future.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,721,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible