Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day…

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow (edition 2008)

by Jessica Day George

Member:the1butterfly
Title:Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
Authors:Jessica Day George
Info:Bloomsbury USA Children's Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Beauty and the Beast, Fairy Tale, Fantasy

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George

East by Edith Pattou (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Two different treatments of the same fairy tale -- both very good!
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (Crazymamie)
    Crazymamie: Another fractured fairy tale. This one is a take on the Snow Queen with lots of literary references.
    Ice by Sarah Beth Durst (FutureMrsJoshGroban)

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow is author Jessica Day George’s take on the fairy story East of the Sun, West of the Moon. The author stays very close to the original story and adds more detail and depth to her version. As this was one of my all time favorite stories when I was a child, I was ready to fall under it’s spell once again.

Jessica Day George has previously used her talents to bring other fairy stories to life so I knew that she would do the original justice. I liked how she developed the story and used Nordic touches that gave this version a strong sense of place. The heroine who has the ability to speak to animals was likeable and her pet wolf, Rollo, who supplied much of the humor and acted as a sounding board for the main character, was an excellent addition.

My only quibble is that I had read East by Edith Pattou fairly recently and at first I found these two stories so similar that it was difficult to immerse myself into this story. But as I read ever deeper into this adaptation, the differences started to take over and obscure the similarities. Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow is a lyrical retelling that didn’t really break any new ground but was an enjoyable read. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Sep 24, 2018 |
8/9/17 review
Still love this story, although the "romantic" scenes are a little hard to get through. So cheesy. I'm tempted to knock a star off my rating for that, but my enjoyment for the book overall is still a solid 5.

12/28/11 review, 5 stars
As fun as George's princess books are, this is definitely my favorite Jessica Day George book so far. The love story isn't the driving plot of this novel—the story actually has a little bit of substance in the form of mystery, strong characters, and a bit of Norwegian folklore (as well as a hint of Beauty and the Beast). Despite being a retelling of another story, it wasn't a direct parallel of fairy tales I am familiar with, which made the story much more rewarding because it wasn't annoyingly predictable. I loved the characters, too, especially the lass. I love me a strong female lead who doesn't need her prince charming to charge in and save the day. ( )
  AngelClaw | Aug 10, 2017 |
Nice! I was confusing it, at first, with [The Bear and the Nightingale] - not totally dissimilar start, with the unliked girl child, and a northern setting (and the long winter, for that matter). This one's better, though. Richer story, to me, and stronger characters. My only question is whether Cupid and Psyche is a Scandinavian myth or the author imported it for this book... It's not _a_ fairy-tale retelling, it's about a dozen fairy tales plus some myths. The lass's journey north and traveling with the winds is amazing. Trolls and ice-bears and wow. And a full happy ending, for more than just the lass - even the trolls are probably better off (some of them think so, anyway). Worth reading, worth rereading. I'm getting drawn in to a Jessica Day George binge again... ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jul 13, 2017 |
I loved it. About 1/3 of the way through I realized I'd read it before. It was really cute I especially liked how Tova helped her and because of that they were all able to get free. ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
2 stars means 'it was ok' and really, that's all it was to me.
The cover photo art promised more than it delivered, imo.
I much prefer the metaphorical, metaphysical, magical versions of [b:East of the Sun and West of the Moon|3325930|East of the Sun and West of the Moon|Kathleen Hague|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1211217866s/3325930.jpg|3363881]. This explained and elaborated way too much. And it dragged - the whole story could indeed be told in a picture book.

Also, I'm not sure who the audience is. It's def. marketed YA - but the fairy tale is (has always been) perfectly accessible to children, and there's nothing rated 'teen' or 'mature audiences' here. It's not rich or complex enough for experienced readers, imo, either. If it had a more child-friendly cover image and intent, I might have let my inner child read it, and she might have enjoyed it more than YA me did.

(Otoh, it usually doesn't matter which version of me reads a book. The best books appeal to *readers* universally - not children versus adults....) ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
As the nameless lass searches for the answers to the riddles that surround her and her loved ones, readers will find themselves engaged in the emotions and adventures that she faces.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Caryl Soriano (Mar 1, 2008)

Mystery, adventure, the supernatural, and a touch of love are woven together to create a vivid, well-crafted, poetic fantasy.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Frances Bradburn (Feb 1, 2008)

Rich in Norwegian lore and perfectly delicious to read.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 1, 2007)

For my parents: You gave me life, you gave me love, you gave me a plane ticket to Norway. Thank you.
Long ago and far away in the land of ice and snow, there came a time when it seemed that winter would never end.

When a great white bear promises untold riches to her family, the Lass agrees to go away with him. But the bear is not what he seems, nor is his castle. To unravel the mystery, the Lass sets out on a windswept journey beyond the edge of the world. Based on the Nordic legend East of the Sun, West of the Moon, with romantic echoes of Beauty and the Beast, this re-imagined story will leave fans of fantasy and fairy tale enchanted by Jessica Day George.
[retrieved from Amazon 1/19/2012]

A girl travels east of the sun and west of the moon to free her beloved prince from a magic spell.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,013,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible