True Grit by Charles Portis

True Grit (original 1968; edition 1968)

by Charles Portis

1,807None3,857 (4.12)1 / 166
Member:mrspeabody68
Title:True Grit
Authors:Charles Portis
Info:Editions du Rocher, Edition: SERPENT A PLUMES, Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:crime, 2013, male, USA, 60s

True Grit by Charles Portis (1968)

19th century (16) 2011 (20) adventure (13) American (16) American fiction (15) American literature (22) American West (34) Arkansas (28) audiobook (12) classic (17) coming of age (14) ebook (19) fiction (306) historical (14) historical fiction (66) humor (15) Kindle (17) literature (12) made into movie (21) movie (18) novel (55) Oklahoma (13) read (22) read in 2011 (12) revenge (48) to-read (39) unread (13) USA (14) western (258) Westerns (19)
    Warlock by Oakley Hall (rickybutler)
    rickybutler: Another far-out, not-so-traditional western (and, incidentally, one of Thomas Pynchon's driving influences!).
    The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (ShelfMonkey)
    Yellow Back Radio Broke-Down by Ishmael Reed (rickybutler)
    rickybutler: Along with Warlock, completes the trifecta of far-out westerns written by misunderstood comic genius. Reed, Hall, Portis: In that order. Give this author the attention he deserves.
    Enemy Women by Paulette Jiles (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Historical novel about a spunky, tomboy heroine struggling to survive the dangers of Civil War torn Missouri Ozarks. Sprinkled with humor.

English (84)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (87)
Not a book I would ever pick on my own but it was the Big Read and the choice for the book club. Told by a 14 yr old girl. Very to the point and really kept you on your toes. Impressive considering that a man wrote it. Highly recommended. ( )
  hklibrarian | Apr 3, 2014 |
Great read! ( )
  wallerdc | Mar 26, 2014 |
This is probably the only Western I have ever enjoyed.

When I first read it, I was 12. I remember being frustrated and u happy with the ending. It's interesting to see the change that time has wrought in my assessment. I now feel that the ending was entirely appropriate, and indeed, I would have been greatly displeased had the novel ended the way I'd wished it had when I was 12.

Back then, as now, I enjoyed the humor and the characters.

This is a must-read for fans of Westerns, or for anyone wishing to take a dip into the genre. ( )
  bookwoman247 | Mar 25, 2014 |
A mannered novel but well told from a first person point of view. The novel was much better served by the remake with Jeff Bridges, than the John Wayne original. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jan 18, 2014 |
I can’t believe I put this one off for so long. When I finally picked it up I didn’t put it down until I was done. I’m not a fan of westerns, but this is another one of those genre defying books that defies categorization. It is part thriller, part coming-of-age, and part western. It has a quick moving plot and fantastic characters.

I’ve never read anything quite like the voice of Mattie Ross. At only 14 years of age she decides to avenge her father’s murder. But instead of heading off to the city with a gun and a fiery temper she methodically arranges to have his body sent home, collects his belongs, barters with a horse seller and hires a US Marshall to help her track his murderer. She is just fantastic.

The US Marshal is another great character. Rooster Cogburn operates by his own morality code. It might not make sense to others, but it’s certainly there. One of my favorite parts of the book is seeing how Mattie turned out as an adult. She’s telling the story about when she was 14, but she’s already an older woman at the beginning of the novel.

BOTTOM LINE: A classic and one I’ll reread in the future. It’s a rare treat to find a character like Mattie Ross.

“You must pay for everything in the world one way or another. There is nothing free except the Grace of God. You cannot earn that or deserve it.” ( )
1 vote bookworm12 | Oct 9, 2013 |

Portis, Charlesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tartt, DonnaAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother and father
People do not give it credence that a fourteen-year-old girl could leave home and go off in the wintertime to avenge her father's blood but it did not seem so strange then, although I will say it did not happen every day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159020459X, Paperback)

Charles Portis has long been acclaimed as one of America's foremost comic writers. True Grit is his most famous novel--first published in 1968, and the basis for the movie of the same name starring John Wayne. It tells the story of Mattie Ross, who is just fourteen years of age when a coward going by the name of Tom Chaney shoots her father down in Fort Smith, Arkansas, and robs him of his life, his horse, and $150 in cash money. Mattie leaves home to avenge her father's blood. With the one-eyed Rooster Cogburn, the meanest available U.S. Marshal, by her side, Mattie pursues the homicide into Indian Territory.

True Grit is eccentric, cool, straight, and unflinching, like Mattie herself. From a writer of true cult status, this is an American classic through and through. This new edition, with a smart new package and an afterword by acclaimed author Donna Tartt, will bring this masterpiece to an even broader audience.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:41 -0400)

With her papa's pistol tied to her saddlehorn and a supersized ration of audacity, fourteen-year-old Mattie Ross sets out to avenge her father's murder.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,482,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible