True Grit by Charles Portis

True Grit (original 1968; edition 1968)

by Charles Portis

2,1511163,027 (4.16)1 / 206
Member:mrspeabody68
Title:True Grit
Authors:Charles Portis
Info:Editions du Rocher, Edition: SERPENT A PLUMES, Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:crime, 2013, male, USA, 60s

True Grit by Charles Portis (1968)

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (ShelfMonkey)
    Warlock by Oakley Hall (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: Another far-out, not-so-traditional western (and, incidentally, one of Thomas Pynchon's driving influences!).
    Yellow Back Radio Broke-Down by Ishmael Reed (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: Along with Warlock, completes the trifecta of far-out westerns written by misunderstood comic genius. Reed, Hall, Portis: In that order. Give this author the attention he deserves.
    Enemy Women by Paulette Jiles (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Historical novel about a spunky, tomboy heroine struggling to survive the dangers of Civil War torn Missouri Ozarks. Sprinkled with humor.

English (113)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (116)
Narrated by Donna Tartt. Listened to this in advance of someday seeing the new movie. Mattie's dad was killed by his handyman Tom Chaney and Mattie is intent on exacting vengeance. She enlists U.S. Marshal Rooster Cogburn in her hunt for the killer; they are joined by Texas Ranger LaBoeuf (sp?) who is also interested in tracking down Chaney for the killing of a senator. Tartt enlivens this Western in many ways: She sets the scene for the reader with accents of the South and Wild West cowboys. Mattie is portrayed with jaw-set determination and practicality. Rooster is mean and gruff; LaBoeuf, somewhat full of himself. I rate it four stars for her voicework. Unfortunately, the presentation is marred by juicy sounds of her swallowing, tongue clicks and lip-parting. Rather disconcerting and hard to believe the producers didn't work to eliminate them. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
My friend, Amy, said that if I hadn't read this, I was missing a real treat. Westerns are so not my thing, but I decided to have an open mind and give it a shot. I was so surprised at how much I liked it! The main character is genuine and well done as are the supporting characters. The plot is great and Portis' voice is wonderful. Thanks Amester! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
I am amazed at how close (at least the first) movie is to the book. I could almost follow along in the book while watching. Maybe this was because an actor, Hume Cronyn, wrote the screenplay. In any case, only the ending is a bit different.

The telling of the story by a woman who is recalling her 14th year makes for a good story. There is some reflection but not much, and there is not much internal monologue. With that said, this book is driven by dialogue. Witty, clever, revealing and character-building dialogue. There are one-liners here that would work on a comedy stage in current time, but at the same time reflecting the old west as it was: harsh, cruel and providing little time for emotional softness.

The story is a good one, but one that probably would not have read if it were not for the movie. However, I will read more by Portis.
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Ms. R's Book Bingo: "Read a book written in the 1960s."

2015 Reading Challenge: "Read a book you can finish in a day." ( )
  Cecilia_Ridley | Jan 10, 2016 |

Portis, Charlesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Asmussen, DesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tartt, DonnaAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother and father
People do not give it credence that a fourteen-year-old girl could leave home and go off in the wintertime to avenge her father's blood but it did not seem so strange then, although I will say it did not happen every day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159020459X, Paperback)

Charles Portis has long been acclaimed as one of America's foremost comic writers. True Grit is his most famous novel--first published in 1968, and the basis for the movie of the same name starring John Wayne. It tells the story of Mattie Ross, who is just fourteen years of age when a coward going by the name of Tom Chaney shoots her father down in Fort Smith, Arkansas, and robs him of his life, his horse, and $150 in cash money. Mattie leaves home to avenge her father's blood. With the one-eyed Rooster Cogburn, the meanest available U.S. Marshal, by her side, Mattie pursues the homicide into Indian Territory.

True Grit is eccentric, cool, straight, and unflinching, like Mattie herself. From a writer of true cult status, this is an American classic through and through. This new edition, with a smart new package and an afterword by acclaimed author Donna Tartt, will bring this masterpiece to an even broader audience.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:52 -0400)

Mattie Ross is just fourteen years of age when a coward going by the name of Tom Chaney shoots her father down in Fort Smith, Arkansas, and robs him of his life, his horse, and $150 in cash money. Mattie leaves home to avenge her father's blood. With the one-eyed Rooster Cogburn, the meanest available U.S. Marshal, by her side, Mattie pursues the homicide into Indian Territory.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,179,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible