True Grit by Charles Portis

True Grit (original 1968; edition 1968)

by Charles Portis

1,945963,507 (4.14)1 / 191
Member:mrspeabody68
Title:True Grit
Authors:Charles Portis
Info:Editions du Rocher, Edition: SERPENT A PLUMES, Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:crime, 2013, male, USA, 60s

True Grit by Charles Portis (1968)

Warlock by Oakley Hall (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: Another far-out, not-so-traditional western (and, incidentally, one of Thomas Pynchon's driving influences!).
    The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (ShelfMonkey)
    Yellow Back Radio Broke-Down by Ishmael Reed (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: Along with Warlock, completes the trifecta of far-out westerns written by misunderstood comic genius. Reed, Hall, Portis: In that order. Give this author the attention he deserves.
    Enemy Women by Paulette Jiles (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Historical novel about a spunky, tomboy heroine struggling to survive the dangers of Civil War torn Missouri Ozarks. Sprinkled with humor.

English (93)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (96)
I love Mattie's voice, and I love & agree with Donna Tartt's assessment that Mattie "is less Huck Finn's little sister than Captain Ahab's." ( )
  JoePhelan | Dec 14, 2014 |
Like Donna Tartt, I cannot recommend this novel enough. It is the story of Mattie Ross, age 14, and her mission for justice, as told by that lady many years later. Portis's impersonation is amazing. It is a thrilling man hunt and character study, and, I assume, a romantic revision of the virtues of the men of the Wild West - while we over here had Sherlock Holmes wrangling with Jack the Ripper et al. Lucky Ned, The Original Greaser Bob and Tom Chaney will live forever, not to mention Rooster Cogburn, La Boeuf and Mattie herself. By the end of the novel, no reader can be left in doubt which character above all truly possesses True Grit. ( )
  jtck121166 | Nov 2, 2014 |
After watching both movie adaptations, it was really nice to finally read the book. I loved it as much as the movies. Wish I had bought this instead of borrowed. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
This book was fantastic. I love all the characters and the story was great. It was written really well. I have not seen the movie, but I can visualize every little detail as it is written so well. The book is very serious with some suspense, but there is also occasional comedic dialogue. ( )
  renbedell | Sep 3, 2014 |
The new movie is so good I saw it twice.

I listened to this book on Audible.com and found it almost as good, but very worthwhile.

I would like to get my daughter to read this book so she could get the idea of toughness in a woman. ( )
  Benedict8 | Jul 16, 2014 |

Portis, Charlesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tartt, DonnaAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother and father
People do not give it credence that a fourteen-year-old girl could leave home and go off in the wintertime to avenge her father's blood but it did not seem so strange then, although I will say it did not happen every day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159020459X, Paperback)

Charles Portis has long been acclaimed as one of America's foremost comic writers. True Grit is his most famous novel--first published in 1968, and the basis for the movie of the same name starring John Wayne. It tells the story of Mattie Ross, who is just fourteen years of age when a coward going by the name of Tom Chaney shoots her father down in Fort Smith, Arkansas, and robs him of his life, his horse, and $150 in cash money. Mattie leaves home to avenge her father's blood. With the one-eyed Rooster Cogburn, the meanest available U.S. Marshal, by her side, Mattie pursues the homicide into Indian Territory.

True Grit is eccentric, cool, straight, and unflinching, like Mattie herself. From a writer of true cult status, this is an American classic through and through. This new edition, with a smart new package and an afterword by acclaimed author Donna Tartt, will bring this masterpiece to an even broader audience.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:41 -0400)

Mattie Ross is just fourteen years of age when a coward going by the name of Tom Chaney shoots her father down in Fort Smith, Arkansas, and robs him of his life, his horse, and $150 in cash money. Mattie leaves home to avenge her father's blood. With the one-eyed Rooster Cogburn, the meanest available U.S. Marshal, by her side, Mattie pursues the homicide into Indian Territory.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,496,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible