The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

The Three Musketeers (1844)

by Alexandre Dumas, Alexandre Dumas, pere

Series: D'Artagnan Romances (1)

14,392182140 (4.09)1 / 818
Elevenses (170)

English (162)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  French (4)  German (3)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All (182)
The classic swashbuckler; I would have to give this edition a mere four stars, however, because there were elements of the translation that I found rather clumsy and which jarred. Only elements, though; most of the book is an unmitigated delight. ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Dec 8, 2017 |
I was hoping to really like this book. I knew if wasn't going to be like the movie, but I just really didn't like. I have got a little bit more then half way and I don't think I will finish it. I found the book very much over the top and it was just guy fighting with swords at a drop of hat and falling in love with women when ever their head turned. Just didn't enjoy the book. ( )
  lemonpop | Nov 22, 2017 |
Ah, so many reviews, this will be a record for me of some of my thoughts while reading this classic.

I was impressed by the amount of political commentary Dumas was able to work into the story by showing, not telling. From the English Duke's attitude to common people to the Cardinal's power over the King, he makes some strong statements without saying so.

Competent women? In an adventure book from the 1800s? Yes! Although the main strong woman was portrayed as a villain, it was clear enough to me that perhaps much of her evil was brought on by an intelligent woman trying to make her mark in a world where men have all the rights and power. Also, the other women in the book, while being under the power of the men around them, find intelligent and daring ways to circumvent them. I was a bit sad that the one D'Artagnan "loved" ended up helpless and not very bright when she started out brave and clever.

It almost had an aroma of satire, as the heroes were by no means without faults. They were idiotic at times, so much so that I frequently had visions of Abbott and Costello or the Three Stooges doing the routine when they were conversing. Their manners and attitudes towards the women in their lives was maddening. I frequently wondered whether Dumas meant for us to love them, laugh at them or despise them.

This was a fun way to brush up on history, if you do not rely on it as history but use it as a jumping board to learn about the characters and events within. ( )
1 vote MrsLee | Nov 14, 2017 |
This is very action-packed but it goes on a bit and somewhat lacks subtlety. It is quite funny in places, and was more readable than I expected for something long, old, and in translation. But in the end it just isn't really my kind of thing. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Aug 11, 2017 |

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

On the first Monday of April 1625, the market town of Meung, the birthplace of the author of the Roman de la Rose, was in a wild state of excitement.
Athos: Well, D'Artagnan, if he doesn't come, it will be because of some delay. He may have tumbled off his horse or fallen on some slippery deck or ridden so fast against the wind that he is ill with a fever. Let us allow for the unforseen, gentlemen, since all is a gamble and life is a chaplet of minor miseries which, bead by bead, your philosopher tells with a smile. Be philosophers as I am, friends; sit down here and let us drink.
D'Artanghan's father: A gentleman makes his way by his courage; by his courage alone! Whosoever trembles but for a second has perhaps lost the bait which fortune held out to him in precisely that second.
This is the main work for The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas peré. It should not be combined with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

This work has also been published (complete and unabridged) under the ISBN 1-55902-983-8 by Aerie Publications, which apparently decided to break the rules and publish multiple classics under the same ISBN.

The young Gascon fights
The three inseperables
and becomes their friend
(Michael.Rimmer)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451530039, Mass Market Paperback)

A major new translation of one of the most enduring works of literature, from the award- winning, bestselling co-translator of Anna Karenina—with a spectacular, specially illustrated cover

The Three Musketeers is the most famous of Alexandre Dumas’s historical novels and one of the most popular adventure stories ever written. Now in a bracing new translation, this swashbuckling epic chronicles the adventures of d’Artagnan, a brash young man from the countryside who journeys to Paris in 1625 hoping to become a musketeer and guard to King Louis XIII. Before long he finds treachery and court intrigue—and also three boon companions: the daring swordsmen Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. Together they strive heroically to defend the honor of their queen against the powerful Cardinal Richelieu and the seductive spy Milady.

@d’ArtsDaMAN It’s time to go off into the world and follow my secondary dream and become a Musketeer. Apparently Jedis don’t actually exist.

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:00 -0400)

Este ebook presenta Los tres mosqueteros , con un sumario dinmico y detallado.Los tres mosqueteros es una novela del escritor Alexandre Dumas, publicada inicialmente en folletines por el peridico Le Si?cle en 1844. La novela relata las aventuras de un joven gascn llamado D'Artagnan, que viaja rumbo a Pars para convertirse en mosquetero. D'Artagnan no es uno de los mosqueteros del ttulo, sino que lo son sus amigos Athos, Porthos y Aramis, amigos inseparables que viven bajo el lema ?uno para todos, todos para uno?. Juntos, sirven al rey Luis XIII y enfrentan a su primer ministro, el Cardenal Richelieu, y a sus agentes Milady de Winter y el Conde de Rochefort, para as resguardar el honor de la reina Ana de Austria. Alexandre Dumas (1802 - 1870), conocido en los pases hispanohablantes como Alejandro Dumas, fue un novelista y dramaturgo francs. Su hijo, Alexandre Dumas fue tambin un escritor conocido. Es un autor prolfico (tragedias, dramas, melodramas, aventuras), aunque, para atender a la creciente demanda del publico, tuvo que recurrir a la ayuda, notoria, de "colaboradores" entre los que destac Auguste Maquet (1839-1851) que intervino en varias de sus novelas, entre ellas Los tres mosqueteros y El Conde de Montecristo (1844). La historia de D'Artagnan continua en Veinte a?os despus y en El vizconde de Bragelonne. Estas tres novelas de Dumas se conocen como Las novelas de D'Artagnan.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,592,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible