Les Trois Mousquetaires by Alexandre Dumas

Les Trois Mousquetaires (original 1844; edition 1932)

by Alexandre Dumas, Claude Schopp

12,206158207 ()1 / 696
Member:justjim
Title:Les Trois Mousquetaires
Authors:Alexandre Dumas
Other authors:Claude Schopp
Info:Paris : R. Laffont, 1991.
Tags:France, French

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (1844)

English (140)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (158)
Now that I have finally read this book, I think I understand France a bit better. ( )
  TrgLlyLibrarian | Feb 1, 2015 |
The Kings Musketeers, Athos, Porthos, Aramis, and their dealings to protect Queen Anne from the Cardinal and his spies most prominently, Milady. With the help of the young d'Artagnan who very much wants to be one of the Musketeers the adventures come forth.
The first half of the book tends to drag a bit but by the middle to the end was a pleasant read. ( )
  vibrantminds | Jan 22, 2015 |
John Lee does a wonderful narration of one of my all-time favorite books. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jan 8, 2015 |
Took me quite a while to get through, mainly because I spent a lot of time trying to read it with white text on a black background (which sent me to sleep when I turned the light off in bed at night).

Not a time period I'm very familiar with so I wasn't so sure about what the political tensions were about.

There were some quite funny bits, especially in the dialogue between the Musketeers.

Didn't much like d'Artagnan at the start but he grew on me through the book and by the end I felt quite sorry for him. ( )
  ClicksClan | Dec 10, 2014 |
2007, Blackstone Audiobooks, Read by Simon Vance

I love classics and read them often, but The Three Musketeers was not one I could get drawn into. I read The Count of Monte Cristo several years ago, loved it, and it remains one of my all-time favourites. So I hoped to revisit that experience with the first of Dumas’ D’Artagnan Romances. But it was not to be. I felt completely indifferent towards the characters: D’Artanan and the musketeers alike, as well as the scheming Cardinal and Milady.

I cannot not recommend Dumas and this well-loved classic, but I will say that readers who loved [The Count] will not necessarily have a similar experience with this one. The audio version is narrated by the inimitable Simon Vance, so it certainly has that in its favour. ( )
2 vote lit_chick | Dec 2, 2014 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

On the first Monday of April 1625, the market town of Meung, the birthplace of the author of the Roman de la Rose, was in a wild state of excitement.
Athos: Well, D'Artagnan, if he doesn't come, it will be because of some delay. He may have tumbled off his horse or fallen on some slippery deck or ridden so fast against the wind that he is ill with a fever. Let us allow for the unforseen, gentlemen, since all is a gamble and life is a chaplet of minor miseries which, bead by bead, your philosopher tells with a smile. Be philosophers as I am, friends; sit down here and let us drink.
This is the main work for The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas peré. It should not be combined with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

This work has also been published (complete and unabridged) under the ISBN 1-55902-983-8 by Aerie Publications, which apparently decided to break the rules and publish multiple classics under the same ISBN.
AR 11.3, 42 Pts
------------------------
What luck! Young D'Artagnan had only been in Paris a few hours, and already he had been in three scrapes. Now it was time to fight his first duel.

He was surprised to see all three of his opponents show up together. "They call us the Three Inseparables," said one, with a bow." "Athos, Porthos, and Aramis."

D'Artagnan knew well who they were. They were the king's Musketeers - the braves swordsmen and the sharpest wits in all of France. He wanted nothing more than to be one of them, to fight at their side for the king and against injustice.
But first he had to defeat all three in a fair fight with swords, one at a time!
"En garde!" he said, drawing his sword....
The young Gascon fights
The three inseperables
and becomes their friend
(Michael.Rimmer)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451530039, Mass Market Paperback)

A major new translation of one of the most enduring works of literature, from the award- winning, bestselling co-translator of Anna Karenina—with a spectacular, specially illustrated cover

The Three Musketeers is the most famous of Alexandre Dumas’s historical novels and one of the most popular adventure stories ever written. Now in a bracing new translation, this swashbuckling epic chronicles the adventures of d’Artagnan, a brash young man from the countryside who journeys to Paris in 1625 hoping to become a musketeer and guard to King Louis XIII. Before long he finds treachery and court intrigue—and also three boon companions: the daring swordsmen Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. Together they strive heroically to defend the honor of their queen against the powerful Cardinal Richelieu and the seductive spy Milady.

@d’ArtsDaMAN It’s time to go off into the world and follow my secondary dream and become a Musketeer. Apparently Jedis don’t actually exist.

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:24 -0400)

Alexandre Dumas's classic novel about the nobleman D'Artagnan who, along with three Musketeers, defend the honor of Anne of Austria against the plots of Cardinal Richeliu during the reign of France's King Louis XIV.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140367470, 0141442344

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,705,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible