Les Trois Mousquetaires by Alexandre Dumas

Les Trois Mousquetaires (original 1844; edition 1932)

by Alexandre Dumas, Claude Schopp

12,919168177 (4.08)1 / 732
Member:justjim
Title:Les Trois Mousquetaires
Authors:Alexandre Dumas
Other authors:Claude Schopp
Info:Paris : R. Laffont, 1991.
Tags:France, French

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (1844)

English (149)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  French (4)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (168)
Featured on Abby's blog:

Whenever I finish a book, I want to discuss it, but the urge usually goes away because I'll start a new book before I can sit down and write a well-thought out review. Lately I've been spewing out spontaneous reviews on my MySpace blog because it's convenient. Tonight I'll break the habit and spew it out here.

The only other book I've ever read by the great Alexandre Dumas is The Count of Monte Cristo. I enjoyed it enough to buy two more books by him, and considering the fact that the author died in 1870 and I usually stick to modern genre fiction, that's really saying something. If Dumas were alive today, I believe he'd regularly hit the bestseller lists.

Okay, The Three Musketeers takes place in 17th century France, so it's historical fiction written by a 19th century Frenchman. At first, as the main character was introduced, I had trouble liking him and getting into the story. I had the impression that Dumas was trying too hard to settle into the literary tropes of the past. He took pains to compare his protagonist to Don Quixote, although D'Artagnan has nothing in common with the former. But the story quickly picked up. Dumas has what I think of as a modern sense of pacing. He devotes most of his words to action, dialogue, and suspense, and he builds scenes so you have to turn the page and find out what will happen next. In reading this book, I expected a conventional swashbuckling tale of friends who go around doing heroic deeds. But this book exceeded my expectations by a long shot. I think one of the main elements that sets it apart from similar fiction is the villain. She's a clever, beautiful, ruthless bitch. This story takes place in a time when women were considered lesser creatures, but all of the male characters are terrified of her, and with good reason. It sounds cartoony, but Dumas makes her believable without reducing the heroism of the protagonists in any way. She's almost funny, mostly scary. In the end, I respected her and wanted to kill her myself. We've all seen our share of ruthless female villains, but this one stands out in my mind as being a cut above the rest. She doesn't use magic--it's not that kind of book--but her skills at seduction are pushed just slightly beyond the realm of human ability, and she's pretty much a genius, so she achieves a demonic status to the male characters and to the reader.

Of course, a kick-ass villain is nothing without kick-ass protagonists. D'Artagnan, Athos, Porthos, and Aramis are a study in contrast. One is brave and too impulsive, one is a near-suicidal former nobleman, one is a gigantic idiot, and one is a peaceful wannabe monk. The way they meet each other is hilarious, and their interaction throughout the novel is just pure fun. I think the reason Dumas's novels are so popular is because everything is pushed just slightly beyond the bounds of reality, without becoming fantasy or even beyond possibility. The relationship between the four protags isn't quite as silly as that between Egon, Ray, Venkman, and Winston from Ghostbusters, because these guys have their serious moments and their arguments. As with any great story, the larger-than-life characters are portrayed as real people.

I feel a little silly for reviewing a novel that must have been reviewed by thousands of people before me. Oh well. I'm glad I bought Queen Margot, because I want more Dumas. ( )
  Abby_Goldsmith | Feb 10, 2016 |
It's always interesting to read the original of such an extremely well-known story to see what the differences between the actual book and the popular consciousness are....

A few things that surprised me...

"All for one and one for all" - is only said in the book once, and is not made a terribly big deal of!

Our 'heroes' are really not that heroic. They're constantly starting fights over no cause at all, gambling irresponsibly, being generally lying, deceitful and adulterous - and D'Artagnan can't even be bothered to pay his rent to the guy whose wife he's seducing! (All four musketeers are perennially down-and-out, and can't hang on to a gift or cash past the next tavern....) Of course, all of this makes the book *much* funnier and more entertaining than it would be if they were more upright men...

I'm pretty sure that in at least one movie version of the story, it's stated outright that Lady de Winter was branded for the crime of murder. Not so! In the book, (at least from a modern perspective) her initial crimes don't really seem to warrant her husband trying to kill her by hanging her naked from a tree. Sure, she gets really evil *later* - but you have to have some sympathy for her situation! (At least I did!)

It takes a really long time to get into the main part of the story - I got the sense that, since this was published as a serial, Dumas was initially just sending his characters on random exploits, and only once the story had gained some popularity, embarked on the more complex, involved, continuing story, going back and weaving in bits that had been mentioned earlier... I don't know if that's historically accurate, but it's the feeling I got...

Definitely worth reading.... ( )
1 vote AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Trust and honor and the fellowship of battle against wrong. It's as though the characters always keep saying, "Stick with me and you'll be safe." ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
The Three Musketeers centers around four soldiers (Athos, Porthos, Aramis, and d’Artagnan) and their adventures in the political intrigue of Seventeenth Century France. It’s also a romance, as d’Artagnan falls madly in love with Madam Bonancieux, who is also involved in the politics of the time.

I wasn’t really impressed with this book at all. I thought the writing was mediocre, the story was boring at times and confusing at other times, and worst of all, none of the characters were likeable at all. Our heros were all cads who unabashedly lived beyond their means and relied on wealthy (and often married) women to support their lifestyles, and I don’t think there was a single female character who didn’t cheat on her husband. I realize that this was written to portray a much different time than our own, but I just couldn’t get into a book that didn’t give me a single character who I could feel good about supporting. There were also so many chapters where people were just sitting around talking and nothing important happened. The whole thing drug for me until the last fifty pages or so. I don’t regret reading it, but I’m glad to be done with it. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
I have watched several adaptations of the book in the form of movies, specials, plays and tv shows. However, none of those are close to the book, and my expectations were surpassed by the writing of Alexandre Dumas. The story is engaging, and keeps you turning your pages as the intriguing plot develops. ( )
  DoctorFate | Aug 16, 2015 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

On the first Monday of April 1625, the market town of Meung, the birthplace of the author of the Roman de la Rose, was in a wild state of excitement.
Athos: Well, D'Artagnan, if he doesn't come, it will be because of some delay. He may have tumbled off his horse or fallen on some slippery deck or ridden so fast against the wind that he is ill with a fever. Let us allow for the unforseen, gentlemen, since all is a gamble and life is a chaplet of minor miseries which, bead by bead, your philosopher tells with a smile. Be philosophers as I am, friends; sit down here and let us drink.
D'Artanghan's father: A gentleman makes his way by his courage; by his courage alone! Whosoever trembles but for a second has perhaps lost the bait which fortune held out to him in precisely that second.
This is the main work for The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas peré. It should not be combined with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

This work has also been published (complete and unabridged) under the ISBN 1-55902-983-8 by Aerie Publications, which apparently decided to break the rules and publish multiple classics under the same ISBN.
The young Gascon fights
The three inseperables
and becomes their friend
(Michael.Rimmer)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451530039, Mass Market Paperback)

A major new translation of one of the most enduring works of literature, from the award- winning, bestselling co-translator of Anna Karenina—with a spectacular, specially illustrated cover

The Three Musketeers is the most famous of Alexandre Dumas’s historical novels and one of the most popular adventure stories ever written. Now in a bracing new translation, this swashbuckling epic chronicles the adventures of d’Artagnan, a brash young man from the countryside who journeys to Paris in 1625 hoping to become a musketeer and guard to King Louis XIII. Before long he finds treachery and court intrigue—and also three boon companions: the daring swordsmen Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. Together they strive heroically to defend the honor of their queen against the powerful Cardinal Richelieu and the seductive spy Milady.

@d’ArtsDaMAN It’s time to go off into the world and follow my secondary dream and become a Musketeer. Apparently Jedis don’t actually exist.

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:00 -0400)

Alexandre Dumas's classic novel about the nobleman D'Artagnan who, along with three Musketeers, defend the honor of Anne of Austria against the plots of Cardinal Richeliu during the reign of France's King Louis XIV.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140367470, 0141442344

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,253,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible