Les Trois Mousquetaires by Alexandre Dumas

Les Trois Mousquetaires (original 1844; edition 1932)

by Alexandre Dumas, Claude Schopp

11,543None232 (4.08)1 / 614
Member:justjim
Title:Les Trois Mousquetaires
Authors:Alexandre Dumas
Other authors:Claude Schopp
Info:Paris : R. Laffont, 1991.
Tags:France, French

The Three Musketeers by pere Alexandre Dumas (1844)

1001 (63) 17th century (95) 19th century (214) adventure (491) classic (663) classic fiction (59) Classic Literature (93) classics (612) Dumas (78) Easton Press (49) ebook (86) fiction (1,538) France (421) French (363) French literature (368) hardcover (52) historical (128) historical fiction (359) history (55) Kindle (60) literature (414) musketeers (68) novel (252) own (61) read (128) Roman (64) swashbuckling (92) to-read (169) translation (77) unread (117)

English (130)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  All languages (146)
This book took me almost THREE weeks to read, which is crazy. Admittedly, it’s been a busy three weeks, and maybe I just didn’t devote as much reading time to it as I should have, but it took three weeks, nonetheless. I don’t know if it was just because it’s a translated book, but it seemed a little harder for me to get through than most. The story was good, and some of the action scenes were quite fun, but overall, I felt like the story could have been edited down by a few hundred pages (or two) and still have been just as good.

I did feel like the characters were superbly developed. I enjoyed our lovable Musketeers, the awesome D’Artagnan and the evil antagonists, the Cardinal and Milady.

Would I recommend this to my BFF or my daughter? Probably not, although I have no real reason for not recommending it other than the reading was a bit tedious. I’m happy to say I’ve read it, as it’s a classic, but it’s not a book I would gush over. ( )
  lauraodom | Apr 1, 2014 |
This is an admirable adventure story with which most everyone is familiar; however, if you’ve never read the book, you’re not really familiar with the story. The plot is intricate with numerous twists and turns. Although Dumas spends time developing characters, it feels like the story never slows down.

Athos, Porthos, Aramis, and D’Artagnan possessed more honor and morality than I had expected after seeing their depictions on the silver screen. There are several characters that never made it to the film versions, including the Musketeers’ servants. The four servants play critical roles in the success of the Musketeers. I recommend this recent edition with its highly readable translation. ( )
  bibliostuff | Mar 20, 2014 |
My number one thought upon completing The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas is that I had more fun reading this book than I’ve had in a long time. Chock full of drama, humor, political schemes, romance, and, oh yes, swordplay. This is a delightful swashbuckler and wonderful historical adventure.

As Dumas uses historical references and events as a framework to build his story on, I was curious as to how close his interpretation were and upon a little research, the actual facts meld very well with his version. His well developed, strong characters and the fast pace at which the story unfolds has the reader engrossed and turning pages avidly. Dumas is skilful at evoking emotions as events play across the pages, and I felt many, ranging from sympathy to scorn, hatred to respect, humor to pathos.

When I mention strong characters, one in particular springs to mind. Lady de Winter is one of the best villains I have ever read about. She can be very nasty, both cruel and vindictive, yet she masks her psychotic ways with her beauty, an angelic looking yet deadly blonde temptress that created most of the best edge of your seat moments in the book. And although d’Artagnan tried my patience any number of times, I could understand his young impatient ways. My admiration went mostly in the direction of Athos, the strong, silent type, hiding his true identity and a dark past.

The Three Musketeers is a well known story and many movie adaptations have been made, but this was my first actual read and I was surprised at how different the book is from the Hollywood versions which usually play strongly upon the humor and less upon the story. Dumas delivers a kick-ass action adventure with strong undertones of his favorite themes of vengeance and intrigue. Highly recommended. ( )
2 vote DeltaQueen50 | Mar 11, 2014 |
Not my cup of tea. Quite a page turner, cartoony, sometimes silly and very long. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Read another (children's) edition of this book during my childhood. I liked it, but was not flabbergasted by it. At the time for some reason the whole book seemed on big tangle of fights and characters and I missed the point somewhere in all that, keeping track of what was going on.

I think that I need to re-read it someday, to see if my opinion has changed / I see the point now :-)
When I do, I'll get back to you.
  BoekenTrol71 | Jan 16, 2014 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

On the first Monday of April 1625, the market town of Meung, the birthplace of the author of the Roman de la Rose, was in a wild state of excitement.
Athos: Well, D'Artagnan, if he doesn't come, it will be because of some delay. He may have tumbled off his horse or fallen on some slippery deck or ridden so fast against the wind that he is ill with a fever. Let us allow for the unforseen, gentlemen, since all is a gamble and life is a chaplet of minor miseries which, bead by bead, your philosopher tells with a smile. Be philosophers as I am, friends; sit down here and let us drink.
This is the main work for The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas peré. It should not be combined with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

This work has also been published (complete and unabridged) under the ISBN 1-55902-983-8 by Aerie Publications, which apparently decided to break the rules and publish multiple classics under the same ISBN.
AR 11.3, 42 Pts
------------------------
What luck! Young D'Artagnan had only been in Paris a few hours, and already he had been in three scrapes. Now it was time to fight his first duel.

He was surprised to see all three of his opponents show up together. "They call us the Three Inseparables," said one, with a bow." "Athos, Porthos, and Aramis."

D'Artagnan knew well who they were. They were the king's Musketeers - the braves swordsmen and the sharpest wits in all of France. He wanted nothing more than to be one of them, to fight at their side for the king and against injustice.
But first he had to defeat all three in a fair fight with swords, one at a time!
"En garde!" he said, drawing his sword....
The young Gascon fights
The three inseperables
and becomes their friend
(Michael.Rimmer)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451530039, Mass Market Paperback)

A major new translation of one of the most enduring works of literature, from the award- winning, bestselling co-translator of Anna Karenina—with a spectacular, specially illustrated cover

The Three Musketeers is the most famous of Alexandre Dumas’s historical novels and one of the most popular adventure stories ever written. Now in a bracing new translation, this swashbuckling epic chronicles the adventures of d’Artagnan, a brash young man from the countryside who journeys to Paris in 1625 hoping to become a musketeer and guard to King Louis XIII. Before long he finds treachery and court intrigue—and also three boon companions: the daring swordsmen Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. Together they strive heroically to defend the honor of their queen against the powerful Cardinal Richelieu and the seductive spy Milady.

@d’ArtsDaMAN It’s time to go off into the world and follow my secondary dream and become a Musketeer. Apparently Jedis don’t actually exist.

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:24 -0400)

Alexandre Dumas's classic novel about the nobleman D'Artagnan who, along with three Musketeers, defend the honor of Anne of Austria against the plots of Cardinal Richeliu during the reign of France's King Louis XIV.

Current discussions

March Group Read: The Three Musketeers in 2014 Category Challenge

Sixteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140367470, 0141442344

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,410,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible