The Intelligent Woman's Guide to…

The Intelligent Woman's Guide to Socialism and Capitalism (1928)

by George Bernard Shaw

I read a later edition. Interesting, timely, utterly wrong about the humane, transparent Soviet system. What a blogger GBS would have been!
  Pinguis | Mar 20, 2013 |
This timeless book, published in 1927, is the solution to rising college tuition fees. For a complete liberal arts education, look no further than this 500 page treatise in economics, political science, history, sociology, ethics; in short all of what constitutes a basic college education. It is all delivered to you with engaging Shavian wit and makes your college experience brief, economical, and utterly painless. For your diploma you can simply print out and post your review of this awesome work on the www for all to see and then mail out copies of your resume with the absolute confidence that you’ll ace every job interview with erudition and grace. Shaw purportedly spent 5 years in compiling and organizing this analysis of the society we live in, what has kept it moving along, and how we can live within it to our advantage and even change it for the better. It is an astonishing literary achievement, quite as accessible to intelligent gentlemen as it is to the intelligent ladies to whom it is affectionately addressed. High school grads! Forget about years of loan payments, midnight oil, and eight-o’clocks. Just read this book, and apply for those jobs miles ahead of your plodding and soon-to-be impoverished peers. ( )
  donlazaro | Jan 18, 2010 |
You don't have to understand shaw to enjoy him. ( )
1 vote Porius | Oct 10, 2008 |
Funniest index of all time. ( )
  abeer | May 21, 2007 |
As a Fabian and lifelong socialist, Shaw believed that economic inequality was a poison destroying every aspect of our lives. Family affections and relations between the sexes were perverted by it. From Parliament to eduction our institutions were "corrupted at the root by pecuniary interest". Idealism, integrity and piecemeal attempts at political reform were all futile in the face of the gross injustice built into our economic system. And because a capitalist economy could never function smoothly, private property was not merely a form of robbery, but robbery with violence. Published in 1928 when Shaw was 72, this book draws on decades of political activity and remains one of his brilliant exercises in propoganda.
  antimuzak | Nov 22, 2005 |
To my sister-in-law Mary Stewart Cholmondley the intelligent woman to whose question this book is the best answer I can make
To my sister-in-law Mary Stewart Cholmondeley The intelligent woman to whose question this book is the best answer I can make
It would be easy, dear madam, to refer you to the many books on modern Socialism which have been published since it became a respectable constitutional question in this country in the eighteen-eighties.
This work was published in 1928 as The Intelligent Woman's Guide to Socialism and Capitalism. For the 1937 Pelican edition the title was changed to The Intelligent Woman's Guide to Socialism, Capitalism, Sovietism, and Fascism.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0140200010, Paperback)

A lucid and entertaining explanation of socialism and capitalism. Shaw at his best, and still relevant.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:42 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,690,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible