Vita Nuova, La (Penguin Classics) by Dante…

Vita Nuova, La (Penguin Classics)

by Dante Alighieri

English (11)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (15)
I was more fascinated by his dissection of his own poems than the poems themselves. ( )
  encephalical | Nov 13, 2018 |
Dual language EN-IT
  seattlebiblioteca | Jun 7, 2018 |
The aspect of Vita Nuova I found most interesting is that it is simultaneously doing several things: it functions as an account of part of Dante's life and career, as well as a compilation of his poetry, an explanation of that poetry, and a love story. Unfortunately none of these facets of the work stood out to me as particularly moving or interesting. It's far too bare-bones an account of Dante's life and career to satiate my curiosity on that front, I didn't find the poetry on display here very beautiful or striking (though I read an English translation by Mark Musa, and translation often strips poetry of much of its force), the insight that Dante shares about his poetry leans toward the technical, and when it comes to being a love story I found this far inferior to the love story aspect of The Divine Comedy.

A bit disappointing, but gives a better understanding of Dante's thoughts and writing style. Though I found it underwhelming on its own, I may yet be happy I read it when I get around to rereading The Divine Comedy. ( )
  BayardUS | Jan 10, 2016 |
Everyone should take the chance to yell at a long-dead Florentine and call him a jackass; my edition is en face, which makes it much more fun, but regardless, I cannot be the only person to read this and boggle. Because, seriously, this is not a relationship, this is not even the relationship of a muse to an artist, this is pure symbolism and abstraction, and I keep getting so angry on Beatrice's behalf -- yes, I am projecting, thank you. ( )
  cricketbats | Mar 30, 2013 |
What I think I like best about this little book is the way the young Dante's character comes through – earnest, naive, idealistic. At least two things are happening here: he is describing his unrequited teenage love for Beatrice, and he is becoming a poet. Love and the desire to write about it are timeless, which is why the book still has the power to delight us today, more than seven centuries later. There is a spiritual allegory here as well, in the images of Love as a godlike figure who must be obeyed and the spiritualized Beatrice as an image of the pure virgin goddess/the Virgin Mary – all bound up in the tradition of courtly love. The poems (sonnets and canzoni) are lovely, and, in the Hesperus edition, impressively translated by J. G. Nichols. This edition also includes an engaging foreword by the novelist Louis de Bernières, who describes the importance the book had for him when he was himself a teenager, and a very helpful introduction by Nichols, who places the book in the context of the literary traditions of the 13th century. Although there is a certain repetitiveness in the narrative, and Dante's redundant "explanations" of his poems can become tedious, all in all this is a charming book. ( )
2 vote rolig | Apr 7, 2011 |

Raud, ReinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reynolds, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rossetti, Dante GabrielTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suchtelen, Nico vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In quella parte del libro de la mia memoria dinanzi a la quale poco si potrebbe leggere, si trova una rubrica la quale dice: Incipit vita nova.

First Edition thus; fore edge deckled; text in Italian and printed in black and red ink; pages have red decorative borders; numerous black and white illustrated plates; Very Good- in gilt-stamped vellum wraps; minor wear to edges and extrems; vellum wraps are rubbed and very lightly soiled; wraps are bowed (as is common with vellum wraps); wrap shows split in lower left, repaired with tape; green ribbons that originally tied the wraps together are torn at fore edge; gilt text faded; toning to page edges; a few pages are lightly tanned; several pages uncut; very sporadic and light foxing; else a clean and tight copy. ; 8vo 8" - 9" tall; 113 pages
Blessed was his muse,
Adored in painful silence,
Deathless now her name.
(hillaryrose7)

This is an EXACT reproduction of a book published before 1923. This IS NOT an OCR'd book with strange characters, introduced typographical errors, and jumbled words. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into print as part of our continuing commitment to the preservation of printed works worldwide. We appreciate your understanding of the imperfections in the preservation process, and hope you enjoy this valuable book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:22 -0400)

This youthful masterpiece by the author of The Divine Comedy recounts the love and loss of Beatrice, Dante's lifelong inspiration. An allegory of spiritual crisis and growth, it combines prose and poetry in a powerful work in the literature of love. This new translation features an informative introduction and notes.… (more)

NYRB Classics

2 editions of this book were published by NYRB Classics.

Editions: 0940322870, 1590170113

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Indiana University Press

An edition of this book was published by Indiana University Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,291,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible