Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the…

Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly

by Anthony Bourdain

6,191None651 (3.92)172
Recently added byovslibrary, private library, Kirstie_Innes-Will, olgaroederer
American (22) Anthony Bourdain (37) autobiography (212) biography (234) Bourdain (20) chef (162) cookbook (24) cookery (36) cooking (534) cooks (24) culinary (59) ebook (21) essays (30) food (709) food and drink (20) food writing (97) Gastronomy (20) humor (82) Kindle (18) kitchen (26) memoir (526) New York (66) New York City (25) non-fiction (667) own (27) read (106) restaurants (182) to-read (56) travel (28) unread (21)

English (169)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (172)
Some interesting advice and entertaining stories, but found his "I'm a bad-ass!" attitude kind of off-putting. Mostly it made me think about how incredibly stressful it would be to work in a restaurant kitchen. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
I started this book with questioning myself; I don't like Mr,. Bourdain so why did I start a memoir written by him? Because I love cooking and recipes, I will read anything with culinary in the title, so I figured, what can I lose A few hours of my time perhaps but maybe pick up a good recipe or some gossip about the food industry. Anthony Bourdain likes to shock, as he is arrogant and a bit s"out there" in his approach to life. Early on, the book kept me interested, because Mr Bourdain was letting me peek behind the kitchen doors to see what really goes on in a restaurant's cooking area. Some things surprised me, others not so much., such as reusing bread not consumed by a customer. Telling it like it is is funny, but mostly appealingly honest. the author never tries to sugarcoat his own arrogance nor his positions, such as being a dishwasher at the beginning. He conquered, then failed, and then rose again, always with his wife, Nancy, in the background, cheering him on. Watching him on TV, I would never picture him having the character to keep a marriage working, so hats off to Nancy for encouraging him with his life, cooking and books.

I learned a lot about the workings of a restaurant, and this book is written in all honest, from what I can see. I recommend it, not because Mr Bourdain wrote it, but because it opens the restaurant wide open for you to learn all you want to know and more. ( )
  bakersfieldbarbara | Jan 20, 2014 |
Fascinating expose of the restaurant business from the inside and from the ground up. Bit too much of the overtly crass, crude, designed to shock in my opinion, but according to him that's the way it is in the business. Who knew? ( )
  Anne_Green | Jan 19, 2014 |
Dude is pretty full of himself ... ( )
  beebowallace | Nov 25, 2013 |
Enjoyable read, but one that I don't want to think too much about when I'm eating out. I like how much he talks about his wife, although I'm afraid to look and see if they're still married all these years later. (Don't tell me, unless it's good news.)

I did particularly like #9 in his "So You Want to Be a Chef?" chapter at the end: "Assume the worst. About everybody. But don't let this poisoned outlook affect your job performance. Let it all roll of your back. Ignore it. Be amused by what you see and suspect. Just because someone you work with is a miserable, treacherous, self-serving, capricious and corrupt a**hole shouldn't prevent you from enjoying his company, working with him or finding him entertaining..."

Even if we've been lucky enough not to work with people like this, we've all come across difficult people, and I did like this observation on how to deal with them. If only I could be amused rather than irritated! Something to aim for... ( )
  jendoyle2000 | Nov 21, 2013 |
This is one bitter, nasty, searing, hard-to-swallow piece of work. But if you can choke the thing down, youll (sic) probably wake up grinning in the middle of the night. Bourdain is a force of unruly nature, a lifelong misanthrope and currently the executive chef at the Brasserie Les Halles, whose clientele, now that this book is out, must be accounted among the more courageous diners in New York.

To Nancy
Don't get me wrong: I love the restaurant business. Hell, I'm still in the restaurant business -- a lifetime, classically trained chef who, an hour from now, will probably roasting bones for demi-glace and butchering beef tenderloins in a cellar prep in a cellar prep kitchen on lower Park Avenue.
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060899220, Paperback)

Most diners believe that their sublime sliver of seared foie gras, topped with an ethereal buckwheat blini and a drizzle of piquant huckleberry sauce, was created by a culinary artist of the highest order, a sensitive, highly refined executive chef. The truth is more brutal. More likely, writes Anthony Bourdain in Kitchen Confidential, that elegant three-star concoction is the collaborative effort of a team of "wacked-out moral degenerates, dope fiends, refugees, a thuggish assortment of drunks, sneak thieves, sluts, and psychopaths," in all likelihood pierced or tattooed and incapable of uttering a sentence without an expletive or a foreign phrase. Such is the muscular view of the culinary trenches from one who's been groveling in them, with obvious sadomasochistic pleasure, for more than 20 years. CIA-trained Bourdain, currently the executive chef of the celebrated Les Halles, wrote two culinary mysteries before his first (and infamous) New Yorker essay launched this frank confessional about the lusty and larcenous real lives of cooks and restaurateurs. He is obscenely eloquent, unapologetically opinionated, and a damn fine storyteller--a Jack Kerouac of the kitchen. Those without the stomach for this kind of joyride should note his opening caveat: "There will be horror stories. Heavy drinking, drugs, screwing in the dry-goods area, unappetizing industry-wide practices. Talking about why you probably shouldn't order fish on a Monday, why those who favor well-done get the scrapings from the bottom of the barrel, and why seafood frittata is not a wise brunch selection.... But I'm simply not going to deceive anybody about the life as I've seen it." --Sumi Hahn

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:49 -0400)

New York chef and novelist Bourdain recounts his experiences in the restaurant business, and exposes abuses of power, sexual promiscuity, drug use, and other secrets of life behind kitchen doors.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible