Kitchen Confidential Updated Edition:…

Kitchen Confidential Updated Edition: Adventures in the Culinary… (edition 2007)

by Anthony Bourdain

6,708191556 (3.91)181
Member:lanewillson
Title:Kitchen Confidential Updated Edition: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly (P.S.)
Authors:Anthony Bourdain
Info:Ecco (2007), Edition: Updated, Paperback, 312 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:***

Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain

Recently added byShannonMcHarg, BooksForYears, suzflt, DCL54, private library, pintis, INorris, nospi, lkarr, circuskind

English (185)  Finnish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (189)
I've never really watched this guy. I know he's on TV and that's about it. This is a behind the scenes look at what it's like to work in the restaurant field. You may never want to eat out again. He has a dry sense of humor and a no holds barred attitude. There were moments that were laugh out loud. About half way through I just wanted it to be done. ( )
  Koren56 | Feb 4, 2016 |
Between you and me, I was quite disappointed by "Kitchen Confidential". I had heard promising reviews about it which made "Kitchen Confidential" sound like it was in the vein of "Hollywood Babylon" and those of ilk. Instead, we got a good opening which petered out to tame stories about his assistant chef or visiting Japan and leaving local chefs shocked at his ability to use truffle oil. ( )
  MiaCulpa | Feb 3, 2016 |
Narrated by the author. Fascinating account of New York City restaurant kitchens behind the scenes. The author reads the audio version; his rogueish air makes you believe that if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen! Unveils the raw, honest, profane truth of being a chef in the restaurant business. Opens with a family summer trip to France where he first experiences different foods. Later he attends the Culinary Institute, works various jobs at different restaurants, and gets high/drunk. He provides revealing cautionary tales about eating at restaurants on the weekends (don't), culinary careers, and opening new restaurants. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Good story teller, the cooking methods & ingredients went over my head ( )
  jimifenway | Feb 2, 2016 |
Yup. Its a book about chef's, restaurant kitchens, and how that is all put together. Anthony Bourdain is an excellent author - he writes in a way that is direct, interesting, and leaves out all the stuff that doesn't matter. While this book is a biography, its not really a book about the author- its intended as a book about being a chef in a restaurant. For example, Anthony alludes that he has a drug problem - and that he went to rehab for it. But, he doesn't write about that part of his life because it isn't directly related to his career as a chef.

So about this book - at one point in time, I wanted to marry a chef (Because I couldn't cook, and I like food). But my more worldly friend said "They are all on crack". I didn't understand what that meant, but after reading this book, I totally understand. Even if the chef isn't on drugs - the life they lead is... fast, ever moving, and twitchy. This book pretty much killed any idea of me opening a restaurant (never a serious, for me). It also makes me want to tip better that 20% if the food is good. The amount of work the people in a kitchen do is insane.

I highly recommend it. In my world, a book makes you view the world differently is a good book. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Jan 2, 2016 |
This is one bitter, nasty, searing, hard-to-swallow piece of work. But if you can choke the thing down, youll (sic) probably wake up grinning in the middle of the night. Bourdain is a force of unruly nature, a lifelong misanthrope and currently the executive chef at the Brasserie Les Halles, whose clientele, now that this book is out, must be accounted among the more courageous diners in New York.

To Nancy
Don't get me wrong: I love the restaurant business. Hell, I'm still in the restaurant business -- a lifetime, classically trained chef who, an hour from now, will probably be roasting bones for demi-glace and butchering beef tenderloins in a cellar prep kitchen on lower Park Avenue.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060899220, Paperback)

Most diners believe that their sublime sliver of seared foie gras, topped with an ethereal buckwheat blini and a drizzle of piquant huckleberry sauce, was created by a culinary artist of the highest order, a sensitive, highly refined executive chef. The truth is more brutal. More likely, writes Anthony Bourdain in Kitchen Confidential, that elegant three-star concoction is the collaborative effort of a team of "wacked-out moral degenerates, dope fiends, refugees, a thuggish assortment of drunks, sneak thieves, sluts, and psychopaths," in all likelihood pierced or tattooed and incapable of uttering a sentence without an expletive or a foreign phrase. Such is the muscular view of the culinary trenches from one who's been groveling in them, with obvious sadomasochistic pleasure, for more than 20 years. CIA-trained Bourdain, currently the executive chef of the celebrated Les Halles, wrote two culinary mysteries before his first (and infamous) New Yorker essay launched this frank confessional about the lusty and larcenous real lives of cooks and restaurateurs. He is obscenely eloquent, unapologetically opinionated, and a damn fine storyteller--a Jack Kerouac of the kitchen. Those without the stomach for this kind of joyride should note his opening caveat: "There will be horror stories. Heavy drinking, drugs, screwing in the dry-goods area, unappetizing industry-wide practices. Talking about why you probably shouldn't order fish on a Monday, why those who favor well-done get the scrapings from the bottom of the barrel, and why seafood frittata is not a wise brunch selection.... But I'm simply not going to deceive anybody about the life as I've seen it." --Sumi Hahn

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:05 -0400)

New York chef and novelist Bourdain recounts his experiences in the restaurant business, and exposes abuses of power, sexual promiscuity, drug use, and other secrets of life behind kitchen doors.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,164,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible