Dance in a Buffalo Skull by Zitkala-Ša

Dance in a Buffalo Skull (2007)

by Zitkala-Ša, S. D. Nelson (Illustrator)

The Discontented Gospher by L. Frank Baum (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: First book in the Prairie Tale Series

The story, "Dance in a Buffalo Skull" is an American Indian tale about the danger and survival on the Great Plains. The author shows this in the place of animals, between a mouse and a wildcat. This shares about the ideals of cultural impact in the west during that time. I like this story, because they make the history topic inviting for children to read by incorporating animal characters.
In the classroom, after reading the story we could reenact the story in groups in front of the class. We could also create a game that has to sides that go against each other like in the story, so students can understand what happened during that time.
  Courtjl | Mar 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My first introduction to Zitkala-Sa was in a Native Literature lecture during my undergrad, and so I was looking forward to reading this book. Of course, I immediately noticed that It's a really gorgeous little hardcover, and the illustrations are lovely, especially with the saturated colours, and the play of light and shadow.
The story is simple but effective, as the suspense builds up as the mice become more and more enthralled with their dancing, and the cat slowly creeps closer and closer. I am looking forward to reading this to my little nephew the next time I visit home. ( )
  unaluna | Nov 10, 2010 |
"Dance in a Buffalo Skull" is an adventurous story filled with danger and surprise surrounding some field mice and a cat. The mice encounter danger while trying to live on the prairie and try to dance at night. The cat, which whom the presume is their predator, becomes their partner in crime as they dance their nights away in a buffalo skull.

I enjoyed this book because this book is based on a factual Native American tale that has been passed down from generation to generation, which would be oral tradition. Furthermore, the illustrations as well as the imagery in the book really bring the legend and characters alive.

A teacher could possibly see if she can get a Native-American Pow Wow dancer and singer to come to the class. This may seem far fetched, but when lives in a rural community, this is a big possibility. The book could be read to the children before hand. If the quests couldn't dance and sing, maybe they would be willing to share a tale with the children that, would of coarse, be appropriate. ( )
  mlboliver | Oct 20, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A great little book! My kids and I enjoyed it very much.
"Dance In A Buffalo Skull" is a Native American tale about some mice and a cat and life on the prairie. The illustrations in this book are fantastic! We loved the page with the cat's eyes peeking through the eye sockets of the buffalo skull. This is the second book in the series, but is easily read and enjoyed on its own.
  lesvrolyk | Jun 25, 2008 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This piece of traditional fantasy features an adorable cast of mice dancing a traditional Native American dance while a predator seeks to devour them all. The artwork is particularly beautiful with rich, bright colors.

I enjoyed this story as it reminded me of the Pow Wows that take place all over Oklahoma. It would be a nice addition to a Native American unit or a Multicultural Traditional Fantasy unit. It is so interesting to see the stories that have been passed down through the generations of various cultures and think of what lessons were intended through the telling.

This book would be a great read before watching a Pow Wow. Students might be interested in Native American Jingle Dancers and trying to perform Jingle Dances themselves. ( )
  StephanieWhite | May 21, 2008 |

Zitkala-Šaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nelson, S. D.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
It was night upon the prairie.

Because a group of young mice are too busy making merry to pay attention to their surroundings, they are almost eaten by a cat.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Zitkala-Ša's book Dance in a Buffalo Skull was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,444,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible