The Overseer by Jonathan Rabb

The Overseer (1998)

by Jonathan Rabb

English (3)  German (1)  All languages (4)
I never had any interest in reading the Da Vinci Code, and if I'd heard about this, I might not have been interested in it, either. But somehow I picked up a damaged copy of it, and got terribly interested but it was in such bad shape that there was no way to go on reading. I found that I had to request it from the library, and as soon as it arrived I started over at the beginning. I've read it in chunks since then.If I'd read this book when it was first released, back in 1998, I'm sure it would have been much more chilling. It was quite effective, even in 2011. I can easily remember the public figures who are echoed in Rabb's books - there are certainly similar ones in the news every day right now (some of them the same ones!)I did, however, enjoy The Overseer for what it was. I didn't find myself chafing at the flaws other reviewers here have mentioned. Yes, government agents in such thrillers have to be nearly superhuman, and the protagonist, in order to survive, has to learn new rules very quickly. But the reader also has to suspend her disbelief, or she has no business reading such things. If the hero is an idiot, I'll accept that he's a slow learner and likely to die - but then he wouldn't be the hero, would he?All in all, a decent read if you enjoy thrillers. ( )
  BellaMiaow | May 29, 2012 |
This book was left behind at the hostel I was staying at in Barcelona. It's a conspiracy theory thriller in the vein of Dan Brown. Good, thrilling holiday read. I left it in Madrid.
  verenka | Jun 16, 2010 |
A 16th century manuscript has surfaced which involves a political theory on how to gain ultimate power. A handful of very well placed and well financed men believe they can put the theory into practice. Out to stop them is ex-government agent Sarah Trentt and academic professor Xander Jaspers. (Even to the end of the book I had trouble associating the name Xander with a scholar.) As the plot twists one is never sure who is one, two, or three steps ahead of the other. Copyrighted in 1998, there are moments that seem somewhat naïve as a post 9/11 reader. This is not great literature, but is a great entry into the global-conspiracy-thriller sub-genre of fiction. ( )
  fingerpost | Jan 31, 2009 |
For Mom and Dad
In the summer of 1531, Medici soldiers, working for Pope Clement VII, tortured to death and obscure Swiss monk, Eusebius Eisenreich.
Thre executors and an overseer make four thieves. - Old English Proverb

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 051512558X, Mass Market Paperback)

The most original and acclaimed thriller of the year...

"Rabb, who has a master's degree in political theory from Columbia, has fashioned a slick and readable thriller from unusual material. At the center is a political treatise rumored to outline a plan for world domination. Written by a 16th-century monk named Eisenreich, this manuscript was so explosive that the Pope supposedly had Eisenreich killed in order to suppress it. But the work...somehow survived, and it has fallen into the hands of a ruthless group who plan to use it to subject the world to their control..."--Library Journal

"A stunning accomplishment."--Larry Bond

"Intelligent and skillful."--The Washington Post Book World

* The author's academic background adds rich flavor and authenticity to this historical-political thriller

* "A smooth blend of Ian Fleming and Umberto Eco" (Lorenzo Carcaterra)

"Dazzling plot twists...highly sophisticated and diverting...superior entertainment. Put it in your beach bag."--The Washington Post Book World

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:37 -0400)

A cabal seeking world domination launches a campaign of chaos based on a 16th century manual by a Swiss monk. As bombs explode and air traffic screens go blank, U.S. government agent Sarah Trent and professor Xander Jaspers go after the cabal.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,781,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible