dismiss

The Bhagavad Gita by Anonymous

The Bhagavad Gita

by Anonymous

In the Bhagavad Gita, Prince Arjuna asks direct, uncompromising questions of his spiritual guide on the eve of a great battle. In this expanded edition of the most famous and popular of Indian criptures, Eknath Easwaran contextualizes the book culturally and historically and explains the key concepts of Hindu religious thought and the technical vocabulary of yoga. Chapter introductions, notes, and a glossary help readers understand the book's message. Most importantly, this translation uses simple, clear language to impart the poetry, universality, and timelessness of the Gita's teachings.… (more)

English (64)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (75)
Easwaran’s best-selling translation of the Bhagavad Gita is reliable, readable, and profound. His 55-page introduction places the Gita in its historical context, presents key concepts, and brings out the universality and timelessness of its teachings. This edition includes chapter introductions, notes and a Sanskrit glossary.

Easwaran grew up in the Hindu tradition in India, learned Sanskrit from a young age, and became a professor of English literature before coming to the West. He is a gifted teacher and an authority on the Indian classics and world mysticism.

The Gita opens, dramatically, on a battlefield, as the warrior Arjuna turns in anguish to his spiritual guide, Sri Krishna, for answers to the fundamental questions of life. Yet the Gita is not what it seems – it’s not a dialogue between two mythical figures at the dawn of Indian history. “The battlefield is a perfect backdrop, but the Gita’s subject is the war within, the struggle for self-mastery that every human being must wage if he or she is to emerge from life victorious.”
  PSZC | Apr 23, 2020 |
Interesting book. It presents the Hindu version of how we should live. It is based on altruism as most religions are. It was an easy read. ( )
  tjhistorian | Sep 4, 2019 |
Read for class at Carleton University in 2016. I had read through lightly a long time ago, but used the ISKCON translation. I liked this one much better. Knowing a bit more of the background really helped me to get more out of it this time too. The descriptions in the final chapter of each term as it relates to the three gunas (material constituents) was particularly neat. I often didn't agree with the points of the philosophy (not believing in an eternal transmigrating self). And (relatedly) at times I felt strange that the doctrine was essentially being used to convince Arjuna that it was okay to kill thousands of his family and friends. Still I can see why this has been so widely read and I greatly enjoyed my reading. ( )
  jakebornheimer | Mar 27, 2019 |
Deeply spiritual and poetic. For those who desire to conquer their own mind, The Bhagavad Gita is a necessary read. ( )
  C_Hawke | Jan 15, 2019 |

Miller, Barbara StollerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prabhavananda, SwamiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sargeant, WinthropTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, HustonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of Swami Turiyananda who was regarded by his master Sri Ramakrishna as a perfect embodiment of the renunciation which is taught in the Bhagavad-Gita
For Gwenn
for her sense
of the ways we are
Nowadays, it is becoming fashionable to translate the world's great books into some form of Basic English, or everyday speech. (Translators' Preface)
O Sanjaya, tell me what happened at Kurukshetra, the field of dharma, where my family and the Pandavas gathered to fight.
PREFACE to the Nabar/Tumkur edition: Several translations and commentaries on the Bhagavadgītā exit, many of them comprehensive and thorough.
INTRODUCTION to the Nabar/Tumkur edition:

The Bhagavadgītā in Indian Life:

The first thing about the Bhagavadgītā that any non-Hindu or non-Indian needs to understand is that it incorporates what my broadly be termed the Hindu view of life more than any other extant Hindu text.
FIRST WORDS of the Nabar/Tumkur edition:

Chapter I

Yoga of the Hesitation and Dejection of Arjuna

Dhṛtarāṣṭra said:

O Sañjaya, what did my sons and the sons of Pāṇḍu do when, desiring war, they gathered together on the sacred field of Kurukṣetra?
Please do not combine The Bhagavad-Gita with The Bhagavad-Gita As It Is, which has extensive commentary.

De Bhagavad Gita ('s Heren Lied) is een van de oudste en mooiste boeken uit de wereldliteratuur. Het is de bij bel voor de oosterling. De oorsprong van dit boek gaat terug tot voorboeddhistische tijden. De Gita en de belangrijkste Mahayana-geschriften hebben elkaar wederzijds beïnvloed, maar de ons bekende op schrift gestelde Gita-teksten dateren uit de tweede eeuw na Christus. De Bhagavad Gita is een deel van het beroemde Indische epos, Mahabharata. Het geeft het gesprek weer tussen Arjuna, de boogschutter, en zijn wagenmenner Krishna, de Heer. Arjuna staat vlak voor de grote veldslag tegen zijn bloedverwanten, leraren en vrienden. Bij het aanschouwen van de vijandelijke legerscharen, waaronder zich zo vele vrienden bevinden, raakt hij vertwijfeld. Hij wil de oorlog niet meer. Dan ontwikkelt zich het gesprek met Krishna. Arjuna ontvangt nu lering over het wezen van leven en dood. Door het inzicht wordt de strijder getransformeerd tot de wetende, de kenner, geheel toegewijd aan de Allerhoogste.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,735,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible