Sweetgrass by Jan Hudson

Sweetgrass (1984)

by Jan Hudson

I really enjoyed this book- I don't see myself reading it again, so I'm swapping it, but still. Even though Sweetgrass talks of nothing but marriage, the story is engaging. I loved watching her life through times of plenty and the hardship of smallpox. Admittedly I paid less attention to her constant desire to marry Eagle-Sun than to all that she did day to day, which was fascinating enough for me. ( )
  t1bnotown | Feb 8, 2010 |
I read this many years ago, and I remember liking it. Sweetgrass is a coming of age story for a young Blackfoot girl who is on the brink of womanhood. It deals with a lot of surprisingly complex issues: maturity, morality when weighed against saving lives, obedience versus disobedience to authority figures, and the like. ( )
  schatzi | Sep 27, 2009 |
Sweetgrass, a fifteen-year-old Blackfoot indian, is the oldest unmarried girl in her tribe. She wants to marry Sun Eagle, however. Her best friend doesn't get to marry the person she wants to, though, so she doesn't know what the future holds, especially when her father drinks alcohol and is angry with her. When a smallpox epidemic breaks out in the 1830's, she gets her chance to prove her maturity and forge a future for herself.
  nolak | Sep 2, 2009 |
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
Living on the Western Canadian prairie in the early 19th century, Sweetgrass, a fifteen-year-old Blackfoot Indian girl, saves her family from a smallpox epidemic and proves her maturity to her father. The events are based on written records of the Blackfoot Indians (Siksika) during the winter of 1837-38. A 1990 Notable Children's Book. 1989, Scholastic, $3.50 and $4.99. Ages 11 up.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Marilyn Courtot

Sweetgrass, a 15-year-old Blackfoot girl, longs to be married like the other girls her age, and she has a young warrior in mind, Eagle-Sun. Her father feels she is too young for marriage, but over a difficult year for their tribe, which include natural disasters, encounters with white settlers, fights with other tribes, and a smallpox epidemic, she proves her courage, intelligence, and maturity. "Vivid characters bring the culture of the Dakota Indians in the 1830s to life through this richly patterned historical novelAn unusually fine first novel." — Booklist (starred review) "A masterpiece combining elements of an historical novel, a native American, a survival, and a coming-of-age novel.Will invite re-reading." — School Library Journal (starred review)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:27 -0400)

Living on the western Canadian prairie in the nineteenth century, Sweetgrass, a fifteen-year-old Blackfoot Indian girl, saves her family from a smallpox epidemic and proves her maturity to her father.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,536,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible