Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile by Bill…

Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile (2002)

by Bill Willingham

Other authors: Craig Hamilton (Illustrator), James Jean (Cover artist), Todd Klein (Letterer), Steve Leialoha (Illustrator), Lan Medina (Illustrator)1 more, Sherilyn van Valkenburgh (Colorist)

Series: Fables (Vol. 1, Issues 1-5)

English (136)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (139)
This is for the entire series, not just volume one. Great series! ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
The characters of our most beloved fairy tales and stories exist and live in exile. Centuries ago their various kingdoms and worlds - from Oz to the Great Forest - were invaded and conquered by the Adversary, a sinister and apparently unstoppable force. After a time, the Fable refugees banded together and formed a government in the 'far colonies' under Mayor King Cole, the ones who could pass for human in the small town of New Amsterdam and the rest on a remote farm upriver. Their Fabletown enclave is now a city block in Manhattan.

Snow White, as deputy administrator, is bemoaning the poor state of Fabletown's government finances to Boy Blue when she is informed by Sheriff Bigby (as in, Big Bad Wolf) that her sister Rose Red is missing and presumed dead. There is a murder to be solved and the suspects keep piling up. The story is focused, but a lot of groundwork was being laid, sometimes only as a quick gag - the marital problems of Beauty and Beast 1,000 years later - something I can appreciate now that I've read it over again followed by more of the sequels.

Fables is a great example of what can be done with comics, some of its themes may be dated and the mythological continues to be almost mined to death, but overall still exciting.

Next: Fables, Vol. 2: Animal Farm
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
This was such a fun story to go through (despite the gore and violence it included XD)

The story is set in a world where all the fairy-tale lands were destroyed by a savage creature known as the Adversary, but some of the remaining people in there somehow managed to escape to our world. They all settled in New York and started leading somewhat "normal" lives.

In this Volume, Snow White's sister; Ruby Rose's apartment is found trashed and covered in her blood. Judging by the amount of blood spilled, it is then assumed that Ruby Rose is in fact dead, thus the process of finding her killer starts.
The detective in this story is actually none other than the wolf from Red Riding Hood! And we follow him through his crazy journey to uncover the truth.

I really enjoyed going through this book, I also liked seeing our beloved (and not so liked) fairy-tale characters and how they became once they went to New York! I particularly enjoyed Wolf as a whole. He was such a great character with a bit of Sherlock Holmes-y vibes with all the sass and the weird attitude.

All in all, this was a really good read, I'm definitely continuing this series, I hope the rest are as good as -if not better than- this one ( )
  Ray_ | Feb 18, 2019 |
Still completely fabulous! ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Very good! The end was the weakest point. It tied everything up a bit too neatly for me. I really enjoyed it though! Looking forward to reading vol. 2! ( )
  paperbuildings | Jan 20, 2019 |

Leialoha, SteveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Medina, LanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
van Valkenburgh, SherilynColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bond, ShellyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Shelly Bond - Intrepid Vertigo editor, who insisted on taking FABLES when I was trying to sell her another idea entirely.
Once upon a time....
'You try being married for almost a thousand years without a few ups and downs along the way.'
This entry has mismatched title (Fables Vol. 1) and ISBN (Vol. 2).

Who killed Rose Red? In Fabletown, where fairy tale legends live alongside regular New Yorkers, the question is all anyone can talk about. But only the Big Bad Wolf can actually solve the case - and, along with Rose's sister Snow White, keep the Fabletown community from coming apart at the seams.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,569,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible