Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile by Bill…

Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Bill Willingham

Series: Fables (1)

Member:Johnathanberube
Title:Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile
Authors:Bill Willingham
Info:New York : Vertigo/DC Comics, c2002.

Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham (2002)

English (112)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (114)
Who killed Rose Red? In this noir-ish collection of the first five issues of Fables, that is the central question in Fabletown. Exiled to the mundane world when their fairy tale kingdoms are overtaken by the Adversary, a wide array of characters are forced to make a whole new community for themselves. But when Rose Red's apartment is found covered with blood there's no shortage of suspects for her possible murder.

I've been meaning to get around to this series for ages, and I'm glad I finally did. A tad darker than I had imagined these stories are still well plotted and drawn. If you're a fan of fairy tale retellings, these should definitely be given a try. ( )
  MickyFine | Dec 11, 2014 |
I very nearly quit half-way through, utterly disgusted at the nasty, pointless, sordid little story that was being presented. But I slogged through to the end, and it did get much better - the solution is really stupid, but not as foul as the middle of the story suggested. The perpetrators are childishly dumb, but that seems to be a permanent problem for a lot of them - something to do with the immortality? And there are problems (as many other fairy-tale retellings have dealt with) with the same name in different stories - for instance, the Snow White who has a sister Rose Red didn't marry Prince Charming. That's just ignored here - she's the princess, her sister is a commoner, that's the way it is. Annoys me, because I do know both stories. There's hints of another story - the aside with Pinocchio seems to be laying some groundwork. Not sure if it will come up in the next issue, or much later, but there's definitely something there. I don't like the text story at the end - or rather, that's a fine story, but the character presented there doesn't jibe with the one presented in the main story at all. And he's had 200 years to change, so maybe his pop culture awareness isn't completely off - but the way he deals with Snow White is. He had a lot longer than that to set his habits and perceptions, and his uncertainty just doesn't work...yeah, it really bothers me. I'm going to pretend that was about two other people. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Dec 11, 2014 |
I recently read a blog post gushing over the Fables series (I can't remember where now, my apologies) and when I had the chance to pick up a used copy of Volume 1, I took it. I was not disappointed. The art was great, the world was wonderful, and there were so many fairy tale characters referenced that I was pretty much in love from page one. I can't wait to read further volumes, to learn more about how the characters are able to live in an underground world within our modern day world, and why they were kicked out of their original worlds. Plus, I really hope something happens between Snow White and the big bad wolf. ;) ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
The premise of Fables is pretty well known at this point, not because of the graphic novels themselves, but because of the TV show Once Upon a Time. They are not the same thing, but Fables (which came first) shares the same basic story. Fairy tale characters have been transplanted from their home world into our world. They have no way of getting back and have to make it here without their fortunes and castles, etc.

I've been hearing about this series for awhile and I'm so glad I finally checked it out. The fable characters live in a secret society of sorts in New York City. The Big Bad Wolf runs the community's security. Old King Cole is the Mayor and Snow White serves as the Deputy Mayor. This volume deals with the disappearance of Snow's sister Rose Red.

The characters are snarky and fun. I love the way they play with the assumed ideas about them, like Prince Charming, who is a womanizer in Fables instead of a hero. Yes, the art is definitely stereotypical comic book style. Maybe we can one day have good female characters who aren't ridiculous caricatures of what a woman actually looks like, but it's a small complaint when the story is this fun.

BOTTOM LINE: So far I love the series and I can't wait to read more. ( )
  bookworm12 | Nov 18, 2014 |

Bill Willinghamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hamilton, CraigIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
James JeanCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leialoha, SteveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Medina, LanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bond, ShellyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Shelly Bond - Intrepid Vertigo editor, who insisted on taking FABLES when I was trying to sell her another idea entirely.
Once upon a time....
"You try being married for almost a thousand years without a few ups and downs along the way."

Who killed Rose Red? In Fabletown, where fairy tale legends live alongside regular New Yorkers, the question is all anyone can talk about. But only the Big Bad Wolf can actually solve the case - and, along with Rose's sister Snow White, keep the Fabletown community from coming apart at the seams.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,393,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible