Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile by Bill…

Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Bill Willingham

Series: Fables (1)

3,0411161,863 (4)228
Member:Johnathanberube
Title:Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile
Authors:Bill Willingham
Info:New York : Vertigo/DC Comics, c2002.

Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham (2002)

Recently added byprivate library, ZedAmadeo, nasrat, gaialover, Madana.Joy, sscarbrough1, djryan

English (115)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (117)
Nicely told story subtlety introducing you to the world and characters while telling a compelling detective story. Can't wait to read more. ( )
  bhutton | Apr 5, 2015 |
Snow White Vorpal Sword = Epic Win. ( )
  JorgeCarvajal | Feb 13, 2015 |
I think I am really going to enjoy this series as I was pretty impressed with this first volume. I've always been a fan of fairy tales (despite some of their shady moral lessons) so I was interested to see what new life Bill Willingham was going to bring to these classic characters. Overall, I thought he did a great job of bringing a more modern twist to these characters that they desperately needed. Especially on the princess front.

I was most impressed with his modern depiction of Snow White. Snow White was always my least favorite since I always considered her as the weakest of all the princesses. Now, Snow White has stepped it up and become the person in charge of Fabletown. She's a take-charge woman who doesn't allow people to walk all over her, and she knows how to run a town.

It also turns out that Prince Charming is an arrogant womanizer who just uses whatever woman he finds would be most convenient to his needs and desires, and for this, most people in Fabletown look down on him. Especially his various ex-wives and lovers. I found this to be interesting, and rather fitting, since I always felt that Prince Charming was just a little too charming to be genuine.

I am also a fan of the art for this series. It has an older comic book feel that I have always enjoyed. It's the type of art that really helps the story along, but doesn't distract from the story. This is one of those stories that can really carry itself without having overly overt images to keep the reader's attention. The story itself is engrossing, and never once did I want to put it down.

My only issue with this one was that there were a few parts that didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the story. They felt more like an attempt to put as many recognizable fable characters as they could, which I felt they didn't have to do. The characters they chose for the the main story line where enough to make the reader really feel that they were in a world made-up of fairy tale characters. The little extra scenes weren't needed for this. Maybe they were inserted because these characters come up later, but these scenes felt very stand alone, not like there was going to be something more to the story later. They were just random. However, there were very few of these scenes and when they came up, they didn't last long. Maybe a page. So it's really not a big complaint.

In the end, I'm excited to continue reading this series. I find the characters to be intriguing and I thought that the plot was interesting and well-paced. I would recommend this to most graphic novel/comic fan, as well as those who have always had an interest in fables and fairy tales. Even for those you never really liked them, I would give this new adaptation a chance, since it's not just Snow White that goes through some drastic changes. ( )
  kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |
Who killed Rose Red? In this noir-ish collection of the first five issues of Fables, that is the central question in Fabletown. Exiled to the mundane world when their fairy tale kingdoms are overtaken by the Adversary, a wide array of characters are forced to make a whole new community for themselves. But when Rose Red's apartment is found covered with blood there's no shortage of suspects for her possible murder.

I've been meaning to get around to this series for ages, and I'm glad I finally did. A tad darker than I had imagined these stories are still well plotted and drawn. If you're a fan of fairy tale retellings, these should definitely be given a try. ( )
  MickyFine | Dec 11, 2014 |
I very nearly quit half-way through, utterly disgusted at the nasty, pointless, sordid little story that was being presented. But I slogged through to the end, and it did get much better - the solution is really stupid, but not as foul as the middle of the story suggested. The perpetrators are childishly dumb, but that seems to be a permanent problem for a lot of them - something to do with the immortality? And there are problems (as many other fairy-tale retellings have dealt with) with the same name in different stories - for instance, the Snow White who has a sister Rose Red didn't marry Prince Charming. That's just ignored here - she's the princess, her sister is a commoner, that's the way it is. Annoys me, because I do know both stories. There's hints of another story - the aside with Pinocchio seems to be laying some groundwork. Not sure if it will come up in the next issue, or much later, but there's definitely something there. I don't like the text story at the end - or rather, that's a fine story, but the character presented there doesn't jibe with the one presented in the main story at all. And he's had 200 years to change, so maybe his pop culture awareness isn't completely off - but the way he deals with Snow White is. He had a lot longer than that to set his habits and perceptions, and his uncertainty just doesn't work...yeah, it really bothers me. I'm going to pretend that was about two other people. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Dec 11, 2014 |

Bill Willinghamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hamilton, CraigIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
James JeanCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leialoha, SteveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Medina, LanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bond, ShellyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Shelly Bond - Intrepid Vertigo editor, who insisted on taking FABLES when I was trying to sell her another idea entirely.
Once upon a time....
"You try being married for almost a thousand years without a few ups and downs along the way."

Who killed Rose Red? In Fabletown, where fairy tale legends live alongside regular New Yorkers, the question is all anyone can talk about. But only the Big Bad Wolf can actually solve the case - and, along with Rose's sister Snow White, keep the Fabletown community from coming apart at the seams.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,304,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible