Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile by Bill…

Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Bill Willingham

Series: Fables (1)

Member:Johnathanberube
Title:Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile
Authors:Bill Willingham
Info:New York : Vertigo/DC Comics, c2002.

Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham (2002)

Recently added byprivate library, kthork, kateminasian, 5oclockgazpacho, DReicht, Juliana.Brina

English (109)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (111)
I recently read a blog post gushing over the Fables series (I can't remember where now, my apologies) and when I had the chance to pick up a used copy of Volume 1, I took it. I was not disappointed. The art was great, the world was wonderful, and there were so many fairy tale characters referenced that I was pretty much in love from page one. I can't wait to read further volumes, to learn more about how the characters are able to live in an underground world within our modern day world, and why they were kicked out of their original worlds. Plus, I really hope something happens between Snow White and the big bad wolf. ;) ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
The premise of Fables is pretty well known at this point, not because of the graphic novels themselves, but because of the TV show Once Upon a Time. They are not the same thing, but Fables (which came first) shares the same basic story. Fairy tale characters have been transplanted from their home world into our world. They have no way of getting back and have to make it here without their fortunes and castles, etc.

I've been hearing about this series for awhile and I'm so glad I finally checked it out. The fable characters live in a secret society of sorts in New York City. The Big Bad Wolf runs the community's security. Old King Cole is the Mayor and Snow White serves as the Deputy Mayor. This volume deals with the disappearance of Snow's sister Rose Red.

The characters are snarky and fun. I love the way they play with the assumed ideas about them, like Prince Charming, who is a womanizer in Fables instead of a hero. Yes, the art is definitely stereotypical comic book style. Maybe we can one day have good female characters who aren't ridiculous caricatures of what a woman actually looks like, but it's a small complaint when the story is this fun.

BOTTOM LINE: So far I love the series and I can't wait to read more. ( )
  bookworm12 | Nov 18, 2014 |
Blew through the entire series in a couple of weeks (Who knew it was so much faster to read graphic novels that 200-300 pagers?!) Liked them all except the Jack crossover one (meh.) The change in illustrators and the consequent change in the look of the characters from volume to volume was disconcerting though. I definitely preferred some illustration styles over others. ( )
  borbet | Oct 21, 2014 |
This one is well known so I’ll not make another resume of the story. Suffice to say that I liked the setting, New York City, and how life in our world affects the fairy tales characters.
Snow White is sassy and has anger-management issues, even if some of them are justified, Prince Charming is all but charming, Belle and Beast are not exactly the bliss couple.
One of the best things ever was when Bigby Wolf propose beacon to Pig (straw house). These two, for sure, have a strange relationship.
I love the last few pages, we get to see some of what happen to bring the Fables to our Realm.
You don’t really read this one for the strong plot but the twist on the Fables is well done. Looking forward meeting some other Fables. ( )
  electrice | Sep 7, 2014 |
I really, really don't like the art, but the story is interesting. The basic premise is all these Fable characters are living in New York and have a sort of underground society with a Mayor/Deputy Mayor and everything. In this first volume it's Rose Red whose blood is found, and the Big Bad Wolf (in charge of the Fables' society's security) and Snow White (divorced from Prince Charming and the Deputy Mayor) are on the case.

I liked that Prince Charming was a douche and the same guy in the different fables. But I didn't find myself liking too many of the characters or their stories in the comic.

I read this because so many people were saying the TV Show (Once Upon a Time) ripped this off, but I couldn't see it, and I think that although at their core they may have started as the same, Once Upon a Time and these comic books are two totally different animals for sure. ( )
  DanieXJ | Jul 30, 2014 |

Bill Willinghamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hamilton, CraigIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
James JeanCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leialoha, SteveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Medina, LanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bond, ShellyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Shelly Bond - Intrepid Vertigo editor, who insisted on taking FABLES when I was trying to sell her another idea entirely.
Once upon a time....
"You try being married for almost a thousand years without a few ups and downs along the way."
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Who killed Rose Red? In Fabletown, where fairy tale legends live alongside regular New Yorkers, the question is all anyone can talk about. But only the Big Bad Wolf can actually solve the case - and, along with Rose's sister Snow White, keep the Fabletown community from coming apart at the seams.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,037,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible