Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile by Bill…

Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Bill Willingham

Series: Fables (1)

3,0691171,851 (4)241
Title:Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile
Authors:Bill Willingham
Info:New York : Vertigo/DC Comics, c2002.

Fables, Volume 1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham (2002)

English (116)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (118)
My rating on this reflects my enjoyment of it and not the quality of the work itself. I say that up front because I was not the right audience for it.

The land of Fairy Tales has been invaded; all the characters from our beloved stories have been exiled to our world. Now they have to survive pretending to be "mundies" which stands for mundane people. Talk about your dangerous refugees. They try to keep a low profile. Their mayor is Ol' King Cole, a mouthpiece really, because running the show is Snow White and the head of her police force is the Big Bad Wolf (who has taken on human form).

The tone of this is gritty and depressing. The characters are disillusioned, hopeless and not very nice. None of them appealed to me and there is the rub. I need to be able to care what happens to at least one character in a story and I didn't here. It also put me off that Snow White, the lead female, who was normally very level, went off the rails when any emotion came her way. She didn't have irritation, she had full blown maniacal anger. She didn't have grief, she had a meltdown of anguish. Meh.

The story was not a bad mystery for a short story. The artwork did not displease. Obviously others love this series, it just isn't for me. ( )
  MrsLee | Sep 26, 2015 |
I wanted so badly to love this. I absolutely expected to. I've heard great things about Fables, especially with the popularity (and similarity) of the show Once Upon a Time. I love updated fairy tales. I love reconfigured tales. Heck, I love graphic novels.

And I could get into the (rather OUaT-esque) concept of crossover or exile between the world where fairy tales are real and this world. It has a lot of scope, and using the idea in a murder mystery setting seemed like a great idea.

But I hated it. I just hated it. The artwork was rather nice… but I loathed what was done with all of the characters. I disliked the apparent offensiveness for offensiveness's sake in the depiction of a couple of characters. (Also, of course, the feeling of "They're fairy tale characters! Let's make them swear and have sex! People will be shocked! It'll be great!")

Most of all, I despised the "Ha-ha-fooled-you" trickery the plot indulged in; there's misdirection, and then there's outright lying, and by the end of this I had the nasty feeling I'd been lied to. There are ways and ways to mess with a reader, and this is not one I enjoy. ( )
  Stewartry | Sep 15, 2015 |
Holy crapballs, did I love this. I've been hearing how great the series is for a L O N G time from my trusted reader-friends, so I have no idea why I haven't picked up it before now. Guess what, folks? They were right. It's freaking amazing. I love the use of well-known characters in surprising new ways. I love the backstories that were just hinted at, but clearly contain legions. I guessed the mystery pretty early on, but watching the characters stumble through figuring it out was still fun. I am excited by this series on every level, and can't wait to read more. Definitely recommended! ( )
  NeedMoreShelves | Aug 15, 2015 |
Instead of being engaging and a fun escape, though, my experience with it is best summed-up as meh. It’s a cool idea that is saddled to a ho-hum plot and flat characters, thereby rendering it a mediocre read.

The basic idea is some unseen Adversary has driven the fairy tale folk out of their land and into exile in our own. In our land, they’ve all agreed to give everyone a clean slate to start over. So far so good. From here though things go from interesting and semi-unique to basically a noir plot we’ve all read before wrapped up in 2-dimensional fairy tale characters. Big Bad Wolf is the hard-boiled detective. Snow White is his lady assistant. A noir version of a fairy tale could have been good, but instead the flattest elements of both genres are mashed together, rather than the best of each. What you end up with is a wolf without his fangs or a hard-boiled detective without his cigarettes and womanizing ways. The grit is just removed leaving an overly-sanitized world.

I do enjoy a mystery plot but I also expect them to keep me guessing. I knew the solution long before the end, and I’m guessing most other readers would too.

The art is mostly good, although the depiction of the talking pig gave me goosebumps in a bad way. He doesn’t really fit in to the feel of the rest of the art. However, the art is colorful and easy to follow, and made reading the story go quickly.

Overall, if a reader loves fairy tales and graphic novels and likes the idea of seeing fairy tale characters in modern-day New York, they will probably enjoy this book. Readers looking for an in-depth exploration of a fairy tale character or to see them more well-rounded in a non-fairy tale setting will be disappointed. Similarly, readers looking for a tough mystery to solve will want to look elsewhere.

Check out my full review. ( )
  gaialover | Jun 9, 2015 |
Nicely told story subtlety introducing you to the world and characters while telling a compelling detective story. Can't wait to read more. ( )
  bhutton | Apr 5, 2015 |

Bill Willinghamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hamilton, CraigIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
James JeanCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leialoha, SteveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Medina, LanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bond, ShellyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Shelly Bond - Intrepid Vertigo editor, who insisted on taking FABLES when I was trying to sell her another idea entirely.
Once upon a time....
"You try being married for almost a thousand years without a few ups and downs along the way."

Who killed Rose Red? In Fabletown, where fairy tale legends live alongside regular New Yorkers, the question is all anyone can talk about. But only the Big Bad Wolf can actually solve the case - and, along with Rose's sister Snow White, keep the Fabletown community from coming apart at the seams.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,759,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible