Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile by Bill…

Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Bill Willingham

Series: Fables (1)

3,2511301,704 (4)267
Member:Johnathanberube
Title:Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile
Authors:Bill Willingham
Info:New York : Vertigo/DC Comics, c2002.

Fables: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham (2002)

English (129)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (131)
Very good! This is a series that I meant to get into for a long time, and it is well worth the read. Beautiful art as well. ( )
  Debra_Armbruster | Jun 18, 2016 |
Fabulous! yes, pun intended.

Nicely written stories ... transporting characters from fairy tales to modern New York!

Premise being that a deadly enemy The Adversary" declared war on the various different different fairy-tale "universes" ... so that all the "fable-folk" become refugees, and escape to the mundane world.

I look forward to reading the rest of the series."
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
Fabulous! yes, pun intended.

Premise being that a deadly enemy "The Adversary" declared war on the various different different fairy-tale "universes" ... so that all the "fable-folk" become refugees, and escape to the mundane world.

I look forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
Not the most auspicious beginning ever. I like the concept - fairy tale characters living in exile in modern-day New York - and I know I read this first volume several years ago. It seems a bit obvious now why I didn't keep going: it just isn't that interesting a story. The first storyline is a murder mystery that feels more appropriate for a 1980s soap opera or a Columbo episode than a fantasy series. Knowing that I have several other volumes, I'm likely to continue, but the series needs to move out of interpersonal politics and into something that explores the Fables world at a more engaging level. ( )
  saroz | May 17, 2016 |
An unnamed Adversary goes on the attack and forces hundreds of beings we know only from (mostly European) fairy tales and legends to escape to the only world the Adversary doesn't care about conquering -- Earth -- and to dwell in hiding amongst us "mundanes." A general amnesty is agreed upon and all past crimes are forgiven as they try to live peaceably in the underground community of Fabletown. Centuries pass with presumably no incident until Rose Red goes missing and her apartment is found trashed and covered in her blood. Her sister Snow White, Fabletown's second in command, fears the worse while Bigby (i.e., the Big Bad Wolf), the community's sheriff, immediately tackles the investigation into Rose Red's disappearance.

I was definitely interested in checking out this comic series after hearing so much acclaim for it, but I was a little unsure of how much I would actually enjoy it -- fantasy isn't usually my cup of tea and the comparisons to the Sandman comics, which I didn't care for much, made me wary. It turns out I loved this first book right away. The crime story always appeals to me, even if it follows a set pattern. Here, there's a bit of tongue-in-cheek, really throughout the whole book, but especially in regards to the standard crime procedural -- see, for instance, Bigby's "parlor scene," which doesn't take place in a parlor. The mystery here is well plotted and concludes in a way that makes sense but that isn't at all obvious.

Of course, a big thing for me is also the characterizations. Some of the characters were less well drawn than others (notably, King Cole who just sort of shows up to say a few lines but doesn't have much of a history or character at this point), and some were perhaps a tad bit clichéd (e.g., Rose Red the party girl). But for the most part, I found the characters varied and interesting. I particularly liked Snow White and Bigby, both as characters in their own right and as a dynamic duo.

All in all, I enjoyed the writing and the illustrations (fairly realistic, especially considering the subjects) in this first book. I'm definitely moving on to the next book in the series, as I want to learn more about these characters and see if more is revealed about the Adversary and that whole backstory (which I suspect that will be the case, especially given that the prose epilogue goes into further detail about the refugees and the first meeting between Snow White, Rose Red, and Bigby). My fingers are crossed that I will like that as much as I enjoyed this title. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Mar 19, 2016 |

Leialoha, SteveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Medina, LanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
van Valkenburgh, SherilynColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bond, ShellyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Shelly Bond - Intrepid Vertigo editor, who insisted on taking FABLES when I was trying to sell her another idea entirely.
Once upon a time....
"You try being married for almost a thousand years without a few ups and downs along the way."

Who killed Rose Red? In Fabletown, where fairy tale legends live alongside regular New Yorkers, the question is all anyone can talk about. But only the Big Bad Wolf can actually solve the case - and, along with Rose's sister Snow White, keep the Fabletown community from coming apart at the seams.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,843,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible