Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile by Bill…

Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Bill Willingham

Series: Fables (1)

3,1841241,755 (4)258
Member:Johnathanberube
Title:Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile
Authors:Bill Willingham
Info:New York : Vertigo/DC Comics, c2002.

Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham (2002)

English (121)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (123)
Wow this comic series is so far up my street! So excite!

Having played Telltales game 'The Wolf Among Us' I just had to check out the comics it was based on. Man, it did not disappoint.

The story centers around Fables such as Snow White, Big Bad Wolf, Prince Charming, Nat King Cole etc etc. They have been driven from their lands by 'The Adversary' and are now trying to eek out an existence all jumbled together in New York City. Rose Red is missing, presumed murdered and its up to detective Bigby Wolf to find out what happened.

I LOVE fairy-tale retellings but this was something else entirely - taking the fairy-tale characters and making a whole new unconventional story for them. I just loved it! I could fan-girl about discovering this series forever. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Can't wait to get stuck into the entire series. Bill Willingham, you sexy beast you.

4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
First graphic novel that's lived up to the moniker "novel." Interesting characters and a solid plot. While graphic novels still feel vaguely unsatisfying to me - like expecting a meal and getting a light snack instead - this one had enough meat to keep me interested.

I also liked that it didn't go overboard with the wackiness. It's a wacky concept, so it was a smart choice to make the characters as human as possible. ( )
  Malora | Jan 18, 2016 |
Forced to flee their homelands, the fairy tale characters of legend now inhabit a high-rise condominium in New York City. Determined to keep their identities hidden from the "mundanes" the Fables have created their own government. While Old King Cole is the permanent mayor, the real power belongs to his deputy mayor, Snow White. When the apartment of her sister Rose Red is found trashed and covered in blood, she turns to the sheriff of Fabletown, Bigby Wolf, to solve the crime.

This was a fun twist on all the fairytales everyone has read since they were young. The content tends towards the adult end of the spectrum, and definitely favors the darker versions of the stories that have been largely replaced by Disney in our modern era. For such a short story, I though that Bill Willingham did a very nice job in fleshing out the characters and giving them depth of personality. The illustration was also nicely done, full of life and color. I definitely think this is a series I plan to continue reading. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
I really enjoyed Fables: Legends in Exile. The mystery was reasonably interesting and I liked the character of Wolf. A good introduction to Fabletown and some of its inhabitants. The short story by Willingham at the end of Volume 1 was a nice addition with its backstory on Wolf and also how some of Fabletowns residents were able to escape to our world. I will definitely read some more of this series.
  hailelib | Jan 15, 2016 |
By now, the idea is played out (Once Upon a Time, Sisters Grimm, Grimm, etc), but it would have been fairly original during its heyday. It still holds up rather well, even against all its competition. I'm enjoying this.

Update: Once you get past the initial, "Oh, cool! They're fairy tales! (not fables in most cases)" it becomes a run-of-the-mill whodunnit. Meh.
  benuathanasia | Dec 30, 2015 |

Bill Willinghamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hamilton, CraigIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
James JeanCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leialoha, SteveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Medina, LanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bond, ShellyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Shelly Bond - Intrepid Vertigo editor, who insisted on taking FABLES when I was trying to sell her another idea entirely.
Once upon a time....
"You try being married for almost a thousand years without a few ups and downs along the way."

Who killed Rose Red? In Fabletown, where fairy tale legends live alongside regular New Yorkers, the question is all anyone can talk about. But only the Big Bad Wolf can actually solve the case - and, along with Rose's sister Snow White, keep the Fabletown community from coming apart at the seams.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,185,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible