Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile by Bill…

Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Bill Willingham

Series: Fables (1)

Member:Johnathanberube
Title:Fables, book 1 : Legends in exile
Authors:Bill Willingham
Info:New York : Vertigo/DC Comics, c2002.

Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham (2002)

English (106)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (108)
I really, really don't like the art, but the story is interesting. The basic premise is all these Fable characters are living in New York and have a sort of underground society with a Mayor/Deputy Mayor and everything. In this first volume it's Rose Red whose blood is found, and the Big Bad Wolf (in charge of the Fables' society's security) and Snow White (divorced from Prince Charming and the Deputy Mayor) are on the case.

I liked that Prince Charming was a douche and the same guy in the different fables. But I didn't find myself liking too many of the characters or their stories in the comic.

I read this because so many people were saying the TV Show (Once Upon a Time) ripped this off, but I couldn't see it, and I think that although at their core they may have started as the same, Once Upon a Time and these comic books are two totally different animals for sure. ( )
  DanieXJ | Jul 30, 2014 |
Read on June 16, 2014

I'm not a reader of graphic novels, but I think it's just because I hadn't discovered the right one for me. FABLES is IT. It's a much grittier version of ABC's Once Upon a Time (and FABLES came first).

I love what Willingham & Co have done with twisting the characters we're all so familiar with (or maybe some we've forgotten -- I mean, who is Rose Red?). Snow White's discussion with Beauty & the Beast is a great introduction to how this world is turned upside down from what we know -- B&B have problems, Snow White & Charming are divorced -- because how ARE these characters supposed to make their love last for centuries?

The central mystery of Legends in Exile is about the disappearance/possible murder of Rose Red, Snow's estranged sister. I wasn't crazy about this aspect, but it's a great introduction into the world of Fabletown. ( )
  melissarochelle | Jun 24, 2014 |
Not my thing, but seems partly responsible for the love of fairy tales right now (eg, Snow White movies, network programming , etc.). ( )
  DougGoodman | May 16, 2014 |
excellent graphic novel series ( )
  KristinaGiovanni | Apr 4, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this! I always love different takes on fairy tales and this was just awesome! ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |

Bill Willinghamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hamilton, CraigIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
James JeanCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leialoha, SteveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Medina, LanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bond, ShellyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Shelly Bond - Intrepid Vertigo editor, who insisted on taking FABLES when I was trying to sell her another idea entirely.
Once upon a time....
"You try being married for almost a thousand years without a few ups and downs along the way."
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Who killed Rose Red? In Fabletown, where fairy tale legends live alongside regular New Yorkers, the question is all anyone can talk about. But only the Big Bad Wolf can actually solve the case - and, along with Rose's sister Snow White, keep the Fabletown community from coming apart at the seams.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,347,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible