Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Fables, Vol. 4: March of the Wooden Soldiers…

Fables, Vol. 4: March of the Wooden Soldiers (2004)

by Bill Willingham

Other authors: Shelly Bond (Editor, the original series), Mark Buckingham (Illustrator), Craig Hamilton (Illustrator), James Jean (Cover artist), Lovern Kindzierski (Illustrator)7 more, Todd Klein (Illustrator), Todd Klein (Letterer), Steve Leialoha (Inker), Scott Nybakken (Editor, the collected edition), P. Craig Russell (Illustrator), Daniel Vozzo (Illustrator), Danny Vozzo (Colorist)

Series: Fables (Vol. 4, Issues 19-21, 23-27 & The Last Castle)

Fables hooked me as soon as I read it, but this is where the story really took off for me. There is upset in the community with Prince Charming gaining ground in his campaign against King Cole. There is good news, however. Red Riding Hood, not seen since the last ship departed the homelands for Earth 200~ years previously, has made a miraculous escape from the Adversary and turned up in Fabletown requesting sanctuary. Red could have valuable information about what the Adversary has been up to in the last 200 years, but Red might not be who she appears to be. Her arrival divides the Fables and raises questions about the Adversary's capabilities and leads to some clues as to his identity.

One-note joke characters begin to show real potential: the Frog Prince, Beauty & Beast, the Witch of Black Forest (Frau Totenkinder!) and Pinocchio especially shine. There will always be room for jokes about the premise of this series, but how the community as a whole function starts becoming believable.

Previous: Fables, Vol. 3: Storybook Love

Next: Fables, Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Seriously, this series is gold. Each volume gets even better. As if Fabletown didn't have enough drama to deal with eternally, they may have a new threat. It's been nearly two centuries since anyone escaped from their ancestral land and made it into the mundy world. Red Riding Hood shows up out of the blue, somehow having escaped the adversary, but something isn't right. Bigby Wolf thinks she might be a spy so he sets about trying to prove it. Meanwhile a very large and very pregnant Snow White must keep the peace and keep Fabletown going while Bigby is off collecting evidence. Love it!!! ( )
  ecataldi | Jul 23, 2018 |
Predictably, Fables has continued its fantastic run. The foreshadowing from the last collection was entirely accurate - the story picked up big time. The twists involving Pinnochio, and a few other characters, are adequately setting up for further excitement down the line. I hope my library carries the next book, and soon.

Also: the very first story involving Boy Blue was oddly touching; wonderful artwork, as well. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Wow... I don't really have words. This was really good. But it definitely left me with more questions than answers. And I really liked the end, sort of bitter sweet :) ( )
  fogisbeautiful | Feb 13, 2018 |
I wasn't really in the mood for this one. I didn't want to look at the pretty pictures, I just wanted to read a story. And about halfway through, I decided that as all I wanted to know was what happened, but didn't care about the subtleties, I flipped through as fast as possible, and as a consequence I probably missed a lot. Not helped by the fact that it is partway through a sequence of stories, and because it is a trade paperback collection of some number of issues of the original comic, there is a lot of unresolved storyline. Not one that I'd suggest people read, and not one that I'm going to go out and try and find the rest of the story either ( )
  fred_mouse | Aug 16, 2017 |

Willingham, BillAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bond, ShellyEditor, the original seriessecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Buckingham, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hamilton, CraigIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jean, JamesCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kindzierski, LovernIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leialoha, SteveInkersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nybakken, ScottEditor, the collected editionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Russell, P. CraigIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DanielIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DannyColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This war story is for my MP Army buddies, Bill Heck, Mike Lyons and Joe Czuchra, partners in crime and fighting, and in crime-fighting. Veterans of the Cold War, they stood their posts on our side of the wall, ten years before the wall came down.
-- Bill Willingham
This book is dedicated to Mum, Dad, Claire, Jason and Rudy... for love and support always. It's also for Irma, my true love and source of inspiration. And finally, it's dedicated to the memory of William and Amy Breddy, my grandparents, in whose home I drew every page of this volume.
-- Mark Buckingham
A lazy summer's afternoon ... in the bright heart of Fabletown
Perhaps not, in the old days, in the old lands. But you're a stranger here, in this small spot of earth, where I've had centuries to weave and knit every possible spell of advantage.
You've stumbled into my place of power, foolish woman.

For centuries, the Fables have guarded the gateways to their lost magical homelands. When Red Riding Hood comes through one, claiming to have escaped from the Adversary's oppression, few question her story. The true story, however, soon has the Fables preparing for war.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,517,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible