Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (v. 2) by…

Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (v. 2) (edition 2003)

by Mike Mignola

Member:DuneSherban
Title:Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (v. 2)
Authors:Mike Mignola
Info:Dark Horse (2003), Edition: 2nd, Paperback, 144 pages
Tags:Comics

Hellboy: Wake the Devil by Mike Mignola

English (6)  Czech (1)  All languages (7)
Great story. About 1/5 of the artwork is fantastic, the rest is mediocre to terrible. The rest was exactly what I like about Hellboy, action, humour, good A plot story arc and more information about Hellboys back story woven organically into the tale. ( )
  bhutton | Nov 20, 2016 |
"Lady, I was gonna cut you some slack, 'cause you're a major mythological figure but now you've just gone nuts!" -Hellboy to Hecate

Here we have the second series of Hellboy stories, and it's just as fantastic as the first. Mignola mixes classic vampire lore, greek, norse, and russian mythologies, a bit of fairy, demonic power struggles, and of course more Nazis into a tale that gives more of Hellboy's origins while still allowing for more to be revealed in future volumes. This story finishes the major confrontation between Hellboy and the man who brought him to Earth, Rasputin (who isn't named in Seed of Destruction, but his identity is hinted at when he talks about being shot, stabbed, poisoned, and left in a river to die), and his Ragna Rok team of Nazi occultists. This time the whole thing kicks off with a death in New York which leads to a vampire clearly inspired by Dracula. Hellboy's going to find out much more than he ever wanted to know about himself while fighting off vampires, harpies, Rasputin, treacherous technology, and the goddess Hecate. All in a day's work.

What I love about Hellboy as a character is how unimpressed he is by all the crazy supernatural things that happen in his life (of course, being a demon, that sort of make sense). He's got a job to do and often, gods and monsters get in his way, but he's not going to let that stop him from getting the job done.

We also get to meet some new characters such as Kate Corrigan (I love Kate), and a homunculus to be named later.

I think this is my favorite full-length Hellboy story. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Jun 1, 2013 |
Starts off great, has a lot of potential. But, I didn't like the ending. Kind of didn't really end or I still had questions that were not satisfactorily answered. ( )
  slimy07 | Feb 18, 2013 |
This trade paperback collects the five issues of Hellboy: Wake the Dead, along with a new epilogue written specifically for this collection.

Note: This review features plot spoilers -- read at your own risk. I will provide a brief overview of each of the collection’s sections.

Part One: Sets up the five-part mystery collected in this edition. The cabal of Nazis serving Rasputin who summoned Hellboy to Earth in 1944 are back and BPRD has eceived word that they may have just gotten their hands on the body of a vampire with whom they were formerly allied with plans to mystically resuscitate him in his ancestral castle in Romania (don’t you wish you had one of those?). Needless to say, an alliance between a bunch of cryogenically-preserved Nazis bent on world domination and a vampire who can quickly spawn an army of other vampires would be a Very Bad Thing and BPRD decides to do something about it.

Part Two: Hellboy goes to Romania, along with two other teams of BPRD agents, and promptly gets into a fight with some of the Nazis, including one of their cyborg thugs. He also encounters a really old vampire (not the one he’s seeking, unfortunately) as well as some mythological creatures, the “Women of Thessaly” (what I would call harpies). Some great mood-setting and characterization of the various villains.

Part Three: Lots of good fighting Hellboy vs. monsters and one of the other BPRD teams discovers a human-sized homunculus. Liz Sherman foolishly(?) brings him to life and he promptly kills one of the team. We don’t see much more of this sub-plot in this volume, but this discovery will have profound implications for BPRD.

Part Four: Lots of major, major happenings. Hellboy battles the snake goddess Hecate. The castle blows up. Ilsa Hauptstein, hot leather-clad Nazi bitch from Hell, is transformed into…something…by Elizabeth Bahory’s old iron maiden delivered to Rasputin by Baba Yaga’s queer little servant. (Yes, read that last sentence again – only in a Hellboy book!) Hellboy is captured by Rasputin and left to die at a crossroads.

Part Five: Hellboy defeats the vampire and the iron maiden critter. Abe Sapien gets some mystical hints about his past/origins. Nazi infighting back in Norway effectively ends their threat (for now…you and I both know we’re going to see these guys again). I’d actually have liked a clearer resolution of what happened here. This was the weakest of the five parts because many of the various struggles ended kind of mystically and it was unclear exactly what happened in the real world.

Epilogue: All-new for this collection. It shows some interaction between Rasputin and Baba Yaga after he has been at least temporarily defeated by Hellboy. Poignant. Moody, sophisticated storytelling.

If there’s a flaw in this collection, it’s that there is simply too much going on here. This was really a six- or eight-part story that was crammed into five parts, and it shows. Because there are three BPRD teams sent to Romania, the action has to switch back and forth between them , with not enough attention focused on any of them. We’ll have to wait for more on the Liz/homunculus sub-plot for a later book, unfortunately. We also don’t see what becomes of the transformed Hauptstein/iron maiden and so forth. Just too much going on for a book this size, so some characters just kind of disappear and aren’t dealt with any more.

I highly recommend this collection, as it advances the Hellboy storyline and is full of occult Nazi-bashing. If you enjoyed the first Hellboy collection, you should certainly pick this one up as well. I give it 5 stars out of 5.

Review copyright 2010 J. Andrew Byers ( )
  bibliorex | Oct 5, 2010 |
This second collection of Hellboy stories does much to flesh out the character's background, although as with all the other collections, one gets the sense that there is a lot more to Hellboy's story than is being told here, or indeed at all. Still, the art is excellent and the pop culture/gothic/super hero fusion helps to fill the void for such things left in the wake of Sandman's conclusion.
  Trismegistus | Dec 23, 2007 |

After appearing at every major disaster and horrific occurrence over the past 150 years, the same man now appears in Hellboy's world, and Hellboy and his team must track him down and stop him from doing the damage he is known to do, in a colorful graphic novel.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,627,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible