The Gospel According to Jesus Christ by…

The Gospel According to Jesus Christ (1991)

by José Saramago

Recently added bythebigidea, zoecarnate, pipoci33, gvazquez, velocivore, taylan, Chale, leroys, private library, Binderman

English (19)  Spanish (5)  Italian (4)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Portuguese (1)  Slovenian (1)  French (1)  All languages (35)
Uma visão isenta sobre a vida do homem Jesus, baseada nos relatos bíblicos.

José Saramago apresenta um Jesus mais humano, passível de erros, culpas e conflitos interiores. Continua sendo o iluminado, o fazedor de milagres mas hesita e até questiona suas próprias capacidades e os motivos pelos quais as tem. As principais passagens bíblicas referentes a Jesus são retratadas aqui, mas sem a aura de exaltação e deslumbramento comuns de textos religiosos.

Alguns personagens do livro e suas características: José, pai de Jesus, carrega por toda a sua vida a culpa por ter salvo apenas o seu filho no dia em que todos os primogênitos foram assassinados brutalmente. Madalena é a companheira de Jesus, fiel até o momento em que percebem que não é possível viver de milagres. Jesus, um homem inteligente e bondoso, , aceita resignado a volta de Madalena a sua profissão e aguenta as humilhações sofridas devido a sua vida pouco ortodoxa. Um excelente livro que não tem a pretensão de fazer alguém perder sua fé, mas a de mostrar como teria sido a vida deste homem extraordinário de um ponto de vista humano e não divino. ( )
  Binderman | Aug 16, 2014 |
The life of Jesus re-created with the “blank spaces left by the other gospels filled in”, so Saramago. The guilt of Joseph is inherited by his son. The son is a tool in the hands of God, the father, who claims him, a merciless God of the Old Testament, determined to extend his power beyond the small tribe of the Israelites. God and the Devil barter like they did over Job, but also the Devil benefits from the extension of God’s power: one needs the other. The Devil appears often more compassionate than God. God is the God of the past, the present, the future: nobody can escape their destiny determined by God, neither Mary, neither Joseph, neither Jesus, neither the apostles including Judas, who is sacrificing himself by offering to carry out Jesus’ wish: one of them has to do it after all.
It is a brilliant novel! I like the way Saramago writes: the gospel is told by description, by dialog, by thoughts, interlaced with wry comments of the narrator.
You need to count yourself among Nietzsche’s ‘freie Geister’ to appreciate this book. This can neither be said of the Catholic Church nor the 1992 Government of Portugal. (VI-14) ( )
  MeisterPfriem | Jun 26, 2014 |
A somewhat annoying read given Saramago's stylistic choice of long paragraphs with little punctuation, it still moves surprisingly quick, and there are strikingly beautiful passages and meditations spread liberally throughout. The very concept of the book is ingenious, and he pulls it off in a satisfying way, creating a vivid and realistic portrait of Jesus' life. I particularly enjoyed his descriptions of some of the famous miracles and apparitions, which he often paints in a more mundane (though equally miraculous) light. The narrative is awkward at times, partly because Saramago chooses to vacillate between present and past tense almost inexplicably, partly because he makes anachronistic asides to the reader. But it works wonderfully when he stays true to Jesus' own time period.

SPOILER -- The ending was disappointing. The conversation between Jesus, God and the Devil on the boat (which I consider the climax) struck me as a rather childish criticism of Christianity -- that God is a power-hungry egomaniac who created Jesus only to bring him more followers. Ballsy maybe, given Saramago's Catholic environment, but I had the same thoughts in high school and have since moved on. Jesus' inner rebellion against God is interesting to be sure, but I wish it had been developed further, and the ending explained a little more fully. As it is, the ending confirmed what I had suspected in the beginning after various subtle satiric jabs: Saramago is in many ways a more lyrical and elegant version of Mark Twain. Or would that just be Mark Twain, Romance Language Edition? ( )
  blake.rosser | Jul 28, 2013 |
I can't help but compare this book with my favorite Saramago book, "Blindness". They are so different in many ways. "Blindness" has its anonymity, "The Gospel..." has God and Jesus. As a Catholic, I know God and Jesus like I know my mother and father. I grew up hearing stories about Jesus. Reading "The Gospel" was a challenge for me because it was a different story I've heard and I can't help but feel guilty reading it. Saramago can be persuasive and if your faith does not have a good foundation then you'll probably be an atheist after. It was written so well that you can't help but believe it. However, it might be written so well but I think it still lacks emotion/feeling which "Blindness" has. I thought i would at least feel some deep emotions because its about Jesus but all I felt was remorse that the book ended the way it did. Saramago took his time with this book then suddenly the ending felt too hurried. He just wanted Jesus to die. He has given more thought on Joseph's death than on Jesus'. Overall, it felt biased and maybe it is since the book it suppose to be about the humanness of Jesus but still, I felt uncomfortable about it. its up to you if you want to read it or not because this is a book that has no limit which is both good and bad. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Jan 20, 2012 |
Wonderful, wonderful book. I barely noticed when the story diverged from orthodoxy. It created a new, beautiful gospel. ( )
  jaaron | Jan 4, 2012 |

Saramago, Joséprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lemmens, HarrieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quod scripsi, scripsi. - Pilatus
For Pilar
The sun appears in one of the upper corners of the rectangle, on the left of anyone looking at the picture.

A wry, fictional account of the life of Christ by Nobel laureate José Saramago

A brilliant skeptic, José Saramago envisions the life of Jesus Christ and the story of his Passion as things of this earth: A child crying, the caress of a woman half asleep, the bleat of a goat, a prayer uttered in the grayish morning light. His idea of the Holy Family reflects the real complexities of any family, and—as only Saramago can—he imagines them with tinges of vision, dream, and omen. The result is a deft psychological portrait that moves between poetry and irony, spirituality and irreverence of a savior who is at once the Son of God and a young man. In this provocative, tender novel, the subject of wide critical discussion and wonder, Saramago questions the meaning of God, the foundations of the Church, and human existence itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:40 -0400)

Fictional life of Jesus mixes magic, myth and reality.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,822,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible