Ensaio Sobre a Cegueira (O campo da palavra)…

Ensaio Sobre a Cegueira (O campo da palavra) (original 1995; edition 1995)

by Jose Saramago

8,394261369 (4.11)5 / 434
Member:bea7riz
Title:Ensaio Sobre a Cegueira (O campo da palavra)
Authors:Jose Saramago
Info:Editorial Caminho (1995), Edition: 2a. ed, Paperback, 310 pages
Rating:*****

Blindness by José Saramago (1995)

Recently added byMediana, jesusm_p, private library, magnifico, FarihaImami, angelista, grusk, MAVAHA

English (209)  Spanish (13)  Dutch (12)  French (5)  Italian (5)  Swedish (4)  Catalan (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (260)
In this extraordinary modern parable, Saramago imagines a society in which everyone is suddenly blinded, and deals unflinchingly with the consequences. ( )
  bodachliath | Nov 4, 2014 |
One ordinary day, everyone goes blind. Everyone but one woman. The chaos that ensues makes me classify this book as dystopian; all hell runs loose throughout the city, the country, the world. It is an extremely depressing book, and one that pointed out to me how immediately disaster can strike; I have wondered if the blindness that strikes everyone is symbolic of nuclear annihilation. ( )
  ahef1963 | Nov 2, 2014 |
I'm not sure I would recommend this one, especially compared to (better executed, in my opinion) works around the same concept like Lord of the Flies. I'm interested to read some reviews of the book by actual blind people, because the idea that human life is meaningless without sight and that blind people have no ability to feel deeply or hold the same kind of morality that seeing people do (this isn't extrapolation, Saramago literally states this in the novel) is fairly offensive! ( )
  okrysmastree | Oct 2, 2014 |
READ IN ENGLISH

During an 'art-house movie' day back at school sometime in 2008/2009 they showed us the movie of this novel. It left a great expression on my mind as sometimes I still thought of it. It took me some time though to find out that it was based on an actually book. Since then, I've wanted to read it. Luckily Santa heard of my wish and gave it to me last Christmas.

Started reading almost immediately. It's not an fast reading easy read. But it is certainly a great novel. The story is simply depressing. The lost of eyesight must be terrible, let alone when it happens to everyone at once. It shows how easily this post-apocalyptic and dystopian world can arise. I would call this a must-read for fans of dystopian fiction. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
Orbirea Rațiunii naște monștri!

Saramago a pus reflectorul orbitor pe om și societate (cu spoiala ei numită civilizație) și nu-mi place ce-am văzut. Nu-mi place deloc.

Este una dintre cărțile cele mai bune pe care le-am citit până acum dar în nici un caz nu este favorita mea.

Câteva citate din cărticică:

If we cannot live entirely like human beings, at least let us do everything in our power not to live entirely like animals

Fear can cause blindness, said the girl with dark glasses, Never a truer word, that could not be truer, we were already blind the moment we turned blind, fear struck us blind, fear will keep us blind

P.S. Deși filmul din 2008 Blindness cu Julianne Moore și Mark Ruffalo este foarte bun, totuși cartea a răscolit niște simțăminte și instincte în mine cum doar cuvântul scris o poate face... ( )
  mariusgm | Sep 12, 2014 |

Saramago, Joséprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davies, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lemmens, HarrieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mertin, Ray-GüdeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pontiero, GiovanniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weissová, LadaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you can see, look.

If you can look, observe.

-- From the Book of Exhortations
For Pilar
For my daughter Violante
The amber light came on.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156007754, Paperback)

In an unnamed city in an unnamed country, a man sitting in his car waiting for a traffic light to change is suddenly struck blind. But instead of being plunged into darkness, this man sees everything white, as if he "were caught in a mist or had fallen into a milky sea." A Good Samaritan offers to drive him home (and later steals his car); his wife takes him by taxi to a nearby eye clinic where they are ushered past other patients into the doctor's office. Within a day the man's wife, the taxi driver, the doctor and his patients, and the car thief have all succumbed to blindness. As the epidemic spreads, the government panics and begins quarantining victims in an abandoned mental asylum--guarded by soldiers with orders to shoot anyone who tries to escape. So begins Portuguese author José Saramago's gripping story of humanity under siege, written with a dearth of paragraphs, limited punctuation, and embedded dialogue minus either quotation marks or attribution. At first this may seem challenging, but the style actually contributes to the narrative's building tension, and to the reader's involvement.

In this community of blind people there is still one set of functioning eyes: the doctor's wife has affected blindness in order to accompany her husband to the asylum. As the number of victims grows and the asylum becomes overcrowded, systems begin to break down: toilets back up, food deliveries become sporadic; there is no medical treatment for the sick and no proper way to bury the dead. Inevitably, social conventions begin to crumble as well, with one group of blind inmates taking control of the dwindling food supply and using it to exploit the others. Through it all, the doctor's wife does her best to protect her little band of blind charges, eventually leading them out of the hospital and back into the horribly changed landscape of the city.

Blindness is in many ways a horrific novel, detailing as it does the total breakdown in society that follows upon this most unnatural disaster. Saramago takes his characters to the very edge of humanity and then pushes them over the precipice. His people learn to live in inexpressible filth, they commit acts of both unspeakable violence and amazing generosity that would have been unimaginable to them before the tragedy. The very structure of society itself alters to suit the circumstances as once-civilized, urban dwellers become ragged nomads traveling by touch from building to building in search of food. The devil is in the details, and Saramago has imagined for us in all its devastation a hell where those who went blind in the streets can never find their homes again, where people are reduced to eating chickens raw and packs of dogs roam the excrement-covered sidewalks scavenging from corpses.

And yet in the midst of all this horror Saramago has written passages of unsurpassed beauty. Upon being told she is beautiful by three of her charges, women who have never seen her, "the doctor's wife is reduced to tears because of a personal pronoun, an adverb, a verb, an adjective, mere grammatical categories, mere labels, just like the two women, the others, indefinite pronouns, they too are crying, they embrace the woman of the whole sentence, three graces beneath the falling rain." In this one woman Saramago has created an enduring, fully developed character who serves both as the eyes and ears of the reader and as the conscience of the race. And in Blindness he has written a profound, ultimately transcendent meditation on what it means to be human. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:25 -0400)

"A city is struck by an epidemic of "white blindness." Authorities confine the blind to a vacant mental hospital secured by armed guards under instructions to shoot anyone trying to escape. Inside, the criminal element among the blind holds everyone captive, stealing food rations and assaulting women. There is one eyewitness to this nightmare who guides seven strangers--among them a boy with no mother, a girl with dark glasses, a dog of tears--through the barren streets, and the procession becomes as uncanny as the surroundings are harrowing. A magnificent parable of loss and disorientation and a vivid evocation of the horrors of the twientieth century, Blindness is a powerful portrayal of man's worst appetites and weaknesses--and man's ultimately exhilarating spirit"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible