De man in duplo roman by José…

De man in duplo roman (original 2002; edition 2006)

by José Saramago

1,459355,128 (3.79)1 / 84
Member:gust
Title:De man in duplo roman
Authors:José Saramago
Info:Amsterdam Meulenhoff 2006
Rating:****1/2
Tags:literatuur, roman, portugal, nobelprijs, 12

The Double by José Saramago (2002)

English (28)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (35)
Stunning and hilarious. In competition with Murakami's Wind-Up Bird Chronicle for the best book I've read this year. ( )
  chyde | Feb 5, 2014 |
Ever since reading Haruki Murakami's 'The Wind-up-Bird Chronicle' I've discovered a love for magical realism as a genre. Books that take place in our world, where small things are just a bit off. Not enough to call it straight up fantasy, but not normal either... Because of this another writer that was recommended to me was José Saramago, a Portuguese writer, probably best known for his novel Blindness.
In this book the main character is Tertuliano, a divorced high school history teacher who is a bit of a loner. One day he gets a tip from a fellow teacher to watch a certain movie. He is shocked when he sees that one of the extras looks almost exactly like him. When he looks up a photo of how he looked when the movie was shot, he finds out that they are identical, down to their facial hair. He gets obsessed with this double, and starts a mission to find out who he is. Eventually he discovers his double, the actor.
It took some getting used to the writing style in this book (It is my first by Saramago, so I have no idea if this is a typical example) but I loved it. The narrator is as much part of the magic of this book as Tertuliano and his double. I love how the narrator keeps commenting both on what is happening in the story and his (the narrator's) telling of it. The story itself is pretty simple, but the writing style and exploration of the theme of having an exact double make it very good. Four out of five stars, and a good recommendation for someone who loves Murakami. ( )
  divinenanny | Nov 8, 2013 |
My 2nd Saramago. He's a keeper. College teacher obsessed with his discovery of a doppelgänger. All sorts of intrigue slowly played out. Author uses few paragraphs and no dialogue cues, but again I wasn't bothered by this once I got into the flow. I read this early 2013. ( )
  JamesMScott | Apr 10, 2013 |
I thought this book was one of his most creative books and I really liked its exploration of identity. The protagonist sees a man who looks just like him as an extra in a film and goes on a mission to track down this person. Honestly, I'd probably give this one a 4 1/2 out of 5 but this format doesn't really allow it. I thought it was incredibly original even though it wasn't necessarily as profound as some of his others and I enjoyed it immensely. A word of warning for those not familiar with Saramago: his writing style takes a bit of getting used to because he doesn't use quotes to indicate when people are talking so it feels very confusing and stream of consciousness at first. A great example of experimental fiction! ( )
  kirstiecat | Mar 31, 2013 |
En este libro el autor narra, de manera muy lenta en un principio, la vida de un hombre que tenia una vida muy común, la cual llegaba a ser hasta aburrida. Un día el está viendo televisión y su vida cambia para siempre y ahí es cuando la historia se torna interesante y muy dramática, dejándole al final al lector un sabor agridulce con respecto al texto. ( )
  marguiromeroz | Feb 6, 2013 |

José Saramagoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gareis, MarianneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kort, Maartje deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chaos is merely order waiting to be deciphered
The Book of Contraries.
I believe in my conscience I intercept many a thought which heaven intended for another man.
Laurence Sterne, The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy.
For Pilar, until the last moment

For Ray-Güde Mertin

For Pepa Sánchez-Manjavacas
The man who has just come into the shop to rent a video bears on his identity card a most unusual name, a name with a classical flavor that time has staled, neither more nor less than Tertuliano Máximo Afonso.
He lives alone and gets bored.

Tertuliano Máximo Afonso is a divorced, depressed history teacher. To lift his spirits, a colleague suggests he rent a certain video. Tertuliano watches the film, unimpressed. But during the night, when he is awakened by noises in his apartment, he goes into the living room to find that the VCR is replaying the video. He watches in astonishment as a man who looks exactly like him-or, more specifically, exactly like he did five years before, mustachioed and fuller in the face-appears on the screen. He sleeps badly.

Against his better judgment, Tertuliano decides to pursue his double. As he roots out the man's identity, what begins as a whimsical story becomes a "wonderfully twisted meditation on identity and individuality" (The Boston Globe). Saramago displays his remarkable talent in this haunting tale of appearance versus reality.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:58 -0400)

"A history teacher rents a video on the recommendation of a friend. Not a great fan of cinema, he watches the film unmoved, but wakes later that night unaccountably troubled by something he has subconsciously viewed. He gets up to watch the film again and discovers, to his horror, an actor who could be his twin, identical in every way except for the moustache he himself has not worn for five years." "Telling no-one of his discovery and wrought with anxiety, Tertuliano Maximo Afonso embarks on a quest to find the actor. By a process of elimination, and watching countless films, he manages to identify the "double" and secretly plots to make contact. But how will the struggling actor feel when confronted out of the blue by a man claiming to be identical to him in every way? A man proclaiming himself to be the original and the actor a duplicate?" "Saramago's new novel explores the nature of individuality and examines the fear and insecurity that arise when our singularity comes under threat, when even a wife cannot tell the original from the impostor."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,696,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible