Five Children and It by E. Nesbit

Five Children and It (1902)

by E. Nesbit

Series: The Psammead Trilogy (1)

2,920522,812 (3.9)137

When I was a child, I loved this book. I loved the illustrations. The edition I have now doesn't have illustrations, alas. ( )
  deckla | Jun 27, 2018 |
This is a cute little tale about five children who discover a sand fairy that must grant their wishes. The wishes disappear at sunset, and the children can't seem to make a wish without getting themselves in some kind of trouble. It is a fun book, but I think I expected a little more. The characters are rather flat. It is worth reading, but in my opinion, doesn't hold a candle to the charm of Half Magic, by Edward Eager. ( )
  BrindelStubbs | Jun 14, 2017 |
In reading this book to my young daughter, I was delighted that she so enjoyed a book written over 100 years ago. While some of the terminology and language is outdated enough to be a bit confusing to a child, the story itself is as fresh and charming as can be.
Four children (the fifth child from the title is only a baby) discover a Psammead or Sand-fairy, which grants them a wish a day. However, at sunset, all traces of the wish disappear forever. The children quickly discover that wishing is not as easy as it sounds, and every wish they make turns out to have quite unforseen consequences - mostly bad. The story is clever, often funny, occasionally laugh-out-loud funny, and has a sweet ending. ( )
  fingerpost | Jun 6, 2016 |
Five children left on their own during summer holidays discover a sand-fairy called a Psammead in a gravel pit who will grant them one wish each day. Of course, the wishes go awry in a humorous way, but thankfully, the effects wear off at sunset.

I never got around to reading Nesbit as a child. I read this aloud to my 8-year-old son. We both enjoyed the humorous adventures and the cranky Psammead, and it led to lots of conversations about wishes and unintended consequences. I found the characterizations of the girls don't pass muster for modern sensibilities, and the chapter about Indians was uncomfortably stereotyped. Despite those hiccups, this was a fun read. ( )
  sturlington | May 2, 2016 |
Recommended to me as: "If you like children's or YA, there is loads of Edith Nesbit - the Psammead (Five Children and It, The Phoenix and the Carpet, The Story of the Amulet) and Bastable (The Story of the Treasure-Seekers, the Wouldbegoods, the New Treasure Seekers) series are huge classics as is The Railway Children. The Psammeads are urban fantasy a bit in the Narnia vein (more Magician's Nephew than LWW - there are a couple of bits in Magician's Nephew that are more or less direct Nesbit rip-offs) but much better-written. If you've read A S Byatt's The Children's Book, Nesbit is the writer the mother is based on. Her influence on British, particularly, children's fantasy is pretty evident up through JKR and DWJ."
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

E. Nesbitprimary authorall editionscalculated
Goodall, J. S.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, DaveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Millar, H. R.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John Bland.
My Lamb, you are so very small,
You have not learned to read at all.
Yet never a printed book withstands
The urgence of your dimpled hands.
So, though this book is for yourself,
Let mother keep it on the shelf
Till you can read. O days that pass,
That day will come too soon, alas!
The house was three miles from the station, but before the dusty hired fly had rattled along for five minutes the children began to put their heads out of the carriage window and to say, 'Aren't we nearly there?'
This work consists of copies of Five Children and It for which there is not enough information specified to determine 1) if they are copies of the original work (the book by Edith Nesbit), 2) if they are copies of some adaptation of the original work (e.g. a BBC film adaptation).

Please do not combine this work with either the original book or with any specific adaptation.

If you have a copy of this work, please consider specifying the name of the author (if it's a book) or director (if it's a film or TV adaptation).

Five children find an "it", a sand-fairy called a Psammead. The sand-fairy grants them one wish each day -- and the children learn about unintended consequences, with humorous and ultimately serious consequences.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:
E Nesbit does it
again: do children never
learn? Of course they don't.
(ed.pendragon)

This title is an entrancing combination of magic with the everyday trials of childhood. 'It' is a Psammead, an ancient, ugly and irritable sand-fairy the children find one day in a gravel pit. It grants them one wish a day, lasting until sunset. But they soon learn it is very hard to think of really sensible wishes, and each one gets them into unexpected difficulties. Magic, the children find, can be as awkward as it is enticing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:37 -0400)

A series of phenomenal adventures follow when young Anthea discovers a sand-fairy who can grant wishes.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,988,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible