Five Children and It by E. Nesbit

Five Children and It (1902)

by E. Nesbit

Series: The Psammead Trilogy (1)

4.5 stars
Originally posted at FanLit:

Five Children and It combines eleven stories that Edith Nesbit wrote about five siblings who discovered a wish-granting fairy called The Psammead in the sandlot of the house they recently moved into. The stories were originally serialized in shorter form in Strand Magazine in 1900. The first story (the first chapter of the novel) tells how the children moved from London to Kent, explored their new house and yard, and found the Psammead. He grumpily agrees to grant the children a daily wish that will end at sundown.

Each chapter tells the story of a single day, how the children wish for something, and how it goes wrong. Usually they wish for something obvious like beauty or money, but sometimes they accidentally wish for something they didn??t really want granted, such as when Cyril carelessly wishes that his baby brother would grow up. The consequences are always unexpected and usually... Read More: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/five-children-and-it/
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
The Psammead is a grumpy sand fairy who grants wishes to five children. Unfortunately, the children find out that having wishes granted can come with unintended consequences. They wish for gold coins, but can't spend them without being accused of being thieves. They wish for a castle but find themselves in the middle of a siege. It goes on like this. In the end they wish for no more wishes! ( )
  aleader | Feb 13, 2014 |
I didn't like it much. It put me to sleep. Didn't like the choices the kids made. Stealing etc. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I found the book, on an obvious reread, still quite funny and entertaining. I wonder if the Disney Factory has done a rewrite for modern tastes. Or was that "E.T.? ( )
  DinadansFriend | Aug 30, 2013 |
Not sure why I have this marked as 'to read'. I loved this a lot when I was younger -- my copy is a hand-me-down from someone else who loved it, and therefore very battered. The tone is a little preachy at times, but the story is fun. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

E. Nesbitprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Millar, H. R.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John Bland.
My Lamb, you are so very small,
You have not learned to read at all.
Yet never a printed book withstands
The urgence of your dimpled hands.
So, though this book is for yourself,
Let mother keep it on the shelf
Till you can read. O days that pass,
That day will come too soon, alas!
The house was three miles from the station, but before the dusty hired fly had rattled along for five minutes the children began to put their heads out of the carriage window and to say, 'Aren't we nearly there?'

Five children find an "it", a sand-fairy called a Psammead. The sand-fairy grants them one wish each day -- and the children learn about unintended consequences, with humorous and ultimately serious consequences.
E Nesbit does it
again: do children never
learn? Of course they don't.
(ed.pendragon)

This title is an entrancing combination of magic with the everyday trials of childhood. 'It' is a Psammead, an ancient, ugly and irritable sand-fairy the children find one day in a gravel pit. It grants them one wish a day, lasting until sunset. But they soon learn it is very hard to think of really sensible wishes, and each one gets them into unexpected difficulties. Magic, the children find, can be as awkward as it is enticing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:58 -0400)

A series of phenomenal adventures follow when young Anthea discovers a sand-fairy who can grant wishes.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,406,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible