Resistance by J. M. Dillard
The Star Trek tradition of space exploration, rescue, and contact with alien nations continues with a new crew, a new Enterprise, and a new leader, Captain Picard.

I'm a fan of the novel series continuing TNG, and the evolution of the crews and properties that aren't featured on the screen anymore. These characters are very real to their fans, and the writers even tend to be especially talented at maintaining the flavor of the series.
Resistance is a Borg story, and (as I understand it) the beginning of the Borg story to end all Borg stories (literally?) - but, it works well as a stand-alone. There is without a doubt a good deal of retread here. Going back over the Locutus stories that were a highlight of TNG (maybe it's ultimate peak - resulting in the best seasonal cliff hanger in all ST). Somehow it remains fresh at the same time - with introduction of new characters that feel very real, reflecting on the fate of crew from the last screen stories (at the movies - too few Next Generation movies, IMO), and virtually turning the novels into crack for fans by playing tag with the companion/sister novel series (esp. Titan).
Bravely unafraid to have real consequences and legitimate threats that have lasting impact (something televised stories ultimately shy away from most of the time).
Janeway is a side character who is destined to be sucked into an extension of this storyline in the biggest way possible.
The focus is on Picard, Beverly Crusher, Worf, Sara Nave (comm/security), Leonardo Battaglia (security) and last but not least T'Lana.
T'Lana is the new ships counselor, replacing Deanna Troi - - she's an especially interesting choice because she's Vulcan. This is a beautiful set-up for examining the Vulcan approach to counseling and how it balances logic and handles emotion. I'm sold on this character and very interested in seeing her evolve.
Crusher's contributions are a lot of fun, too - shifting the way we see the Borg in a clever dynamic way that works really well. The Borg preceded the pop culture zombie renaissance, but in reality that's not true at all - in reality they *were* the pop culture zombie renaissance, and Trek producers and fans were just ahead of the curb in their tastes. This also makes for a timeless horror-themed candy feeling for this story arc. The Borg became a nuisance in Voyager - and were too-often front and center to the point of weakening their brand. This novel arc seeks to remedy the blandness of that overuse by giving them a Borg story to end all stories. ( )
  Ron18 | Feb 17, 2019 |
Very exciting book with tons of action. Great continuation of the story of the borg. The only negative was that there were a couple of characters who were not voiced well by the author. ( )
  jslawinski | Jun 22, 2017 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |
I read this book in three days, which is a much, much faster time than I have read a book in decades, probably. I was concerned, though, because on my nook, it showed around 189 pages--short for any novel, but particularly a Star Trek novel. Then I looked online and saw that it said book was supposed to be over 300 pages which would make more sense. I was worried that the book was just going to cut off and I'd be unable to read to continue reading. But it did seem like it took more page flips for my page count to rise, so I think the page numbering on the nook version is different from other versions.

In Resistance, Captain Jean-Luc Picard must face the Borg again, and disobey Admiral Janeway's orders to do so. Of course, I think Janeway in this novel was out of character and unbelievable. Eventually he decides that he must once again become Locutus in his effort to defeat the Borg. It is true that this is all in the first half of the book, as another reviewer commented. I disagree with that reviewer that the pace of the book slows down in the second half, though. It continues at the same frantic pace as it did in the first half, or perhaps moves a little bit faster, as this is when the actual battles with the Borg begin.

I think there could have been more to this book--as there was very little actual long-term character development. Instead, it played out much like an episode of Star Trek, with lots of action. ( )
  kingoftheicedragons | Dec 7, 2010 |

J. M. Dillardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Perplies, BerndTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,818,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible