Fairy Tail, Volume 1 by Hiro Mashima

Fairy Tail, Volume 1

by Hiro Mashima

220None52,720 (3.83)11

English (7)  French (1)  All languages (8)
I'll talk about the series as a whole rather than this particular volume. I read it via scanlations, before it was localized.

The good:
*Interesting and diverse characters.
*One Piece like art style. There is much to look at.

The bad:
*Too many characters.
*Long plotlines.
*Various scanlation groups translate names differently (but this should be remedied with localization).

General:
I rather liked Fairy Tail. The characters are rather simple in their motivations. Natsu just wants to see his old master, the flame dragon Igneel, Erza just wants to protect her 'family,' etc. And they are like a big family. A family with dangerous magic and short tempers.

But there becomes so many characters that I forget who does what. Everyone has a special fighting style or school of magic to makes them unique in the guild. And you've got the characters in rival guilds, etc.

Many plotlines are so long and drawn out that, if you don't like one, you'll have to skip entire volumes to get to the next one (or so I assume, since I read it online). As time goes on, the plotlines become more and more ridiculous. Every battle is made out to be a life-or-death struggle more dangerous than the last one. It's like, can't they have a break? And when there is a break it's just an embarrassing eye-candy swimsuit episode.

I stopped reading it when the female cat character was introduced and the little girl with healing arts. I was tired of the overly-dramatic situations required to make this battle more life-threatening than the last one. I won't be going back to it.

Favorite character is, of course, Erza -- at least until her backstory was revealed. Sigh. ( )
  angevon | Apr 1, 2013 |
Cute story idea, but probably had the most fan service out of anything I read for class. I had expected more from my seinen reading. ( )
  scote23 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Fairy Tail is a Manga or Graphic Novel series that has been written for teens ages 13 and up by author Hiro Masima.

Lucy is a seventeen year old wizard whose main goal in life is to join the wizard’s guild known as Fairy Tail, one of the most powerful wizard’s guilds in the country.

When Lucy becomes ensnared in a charm, she is inadvertently saved by a young wizard named Natsu and his talking cat Happy, who are on a quest to find the dragon known as Igneel. Natsu is a member of the Fairy Tail guild, and invites Lucy to join.

Little does Lucy know that Fairy Tail is not a normal wizard’s guild. It is filled with strange, interesting, and very powerful wizards. Now Lucy has joined up with Natsu on various jobs posted by the guild, but with his perchance for destroying property, would Lucy have been better off not being saved by Natsu?

I thought that this manga series has potential. There was enough action to keep a reader interested, as well as the start on some background information on the main characters. This series actually reminds me a bit of One Piece in its style. I would recommend this series for anyone who likes fantasy/adventure manga, and I believe that those who have read and enjoyed One Piece will also enjoy this series. ( )
  BaschukR | Nov 11, 2011 |
An extremely humorous tale of a Wizardess and her guild mate, Natsu, a fire wizard and their adventures.
  EragonHedre | Jul 21, 2010 |
A fun story set in a fairly standard fantasy world, filled with lots of humour and an interesting cast of characters. Nothing too unique thus far -- it could be pretty much any fantasy video game ever written -- but it doesn't need to be a new tale (tail?) to be an entertaining one! ( )
  terriko | Jul 21, 2009 |

THE WICKED SIDE OF WIZARDRY

Cute girl wizard Lucy wants to join the Fairy Tail, a club for the most powerful wizards. But instead, her ambitions land her in the clutches of a gang of unsavory pirates led by a devious magician. Her only hope is Natsu, a strange boy she happens to meet on her travels. Natsu’s not your typical hero–he gets motion sickness, eats like a pig, and his best friend is a talking cat. With friends like this, is Lucy better off with her enemies?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:01 -0400)

Cute girl wizard Lucy want to join the Fairy Tail, a club for the most powerful wizards. But instead, her ambitions land her in the clutches of a gang of unsavory pirates led by a devious magician. Her only hope is Natsu, a strange boy she happens to meet on her travels.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,400,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible