Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky

Salt: A World History

by Mark Kurlansky

Fascinating history of salt and salt-making from around the world. the author puts together a nice history of the making of salt and how controlling those resources drove many world events/wars/possessions through history. The importance of salt making in colonial America was great. the last several chapters do seem to wander a bit off topic - but the first 350 pages or so are great! ( )
  jsoos | May 19, 2017 |
Interesting read, full of surprising facts, sometimes a bit dull, when discussing each and every country involved in producing salt. Sometimes you wonder whether the salt industry really was a major concern in all world events, but then again the author is convincing. ( )
  stef7sa | Jan 5, 2017 |
This was..meh...okay. I felt like it was much more about food than I was hoping. There are brief references to how salt fits into the bigger picture but I felt like the author either avoided or didn't recognize the many places where this could have been connected to larger historical events in a deeper, more interesting way. I feel like this just is not what I am looking for in popular history, more like loosely connected anecdotes than analysis. ( )
1 vote kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
Leave it to Kurlansky to take an ordinary item like salt and make it utterly fascinating. Who knew how much of our world was shaped by the need for salt? Wars were fought over it, and civilizations rose and fell because of it. True to form, Kurlansky's book is accessible, far-reaching, and all but un-put-downable. ( )
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
Salt is a book about ... you guessed it, salt. It discusses salt's many uses and its role in the history of many countries and empires throughout the globe.

I really wanted to like this the book -- it sounded like a neat concept and I had heard so much buzz about it. But I just couldn't get in to it. The problem is the long and the short of the book is that salt has been an important commodity world over that has significant value. But once Kurlansky made that point in the introduction, it didn't seem like it would be necessary to have to keep making that point. Yet that's precisely what the remaining 400 pages do. Every once in a while there would be an informative tidbit that made me go, "huh, interesting," but there was also just a lot of long explanations about how to salt and cure meat, the ingredients of ancient recipes that include salt, and so on and so on. I'm guessing this appeals to some -- it would explain the popularity of the book -- but it just didn't do it for me.

I also found the book to be rather haphazard in its execution. It *sort of* follows a chronological trail, except that it jumps back and forth between time and place rather frequently as yet another random factoid is thrown in. It's obvious that Kurlansky did tons of research and work to pull this all together, but it just wasn't my cup of tea ... or perhaps more fittingly, it wasn't my shaker of salt.

For the audiobook listener, Scott Brick was the reader, which I thought forebode good things, given how excellent a reader he has been in the past. But this book - with its rather dull list of facts - didn't provide much good fodder and I found Brick to be just adequate. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Jul 16, 2016 |
Who would have thought that musings on an edible rock could run to 450 breathless pages?

Let me hasten to add that Salt turns out to be far from boring. With infectious enthusiasm, Kurlansky leads the reader on a 5,000-year sodium chloride odyssey through China, India, Egypt, Japan, Morocco, Israel, Africa, Italy, Spain, Germany, Austria, England, Scandinavia, France and the US, highlighting the multifarious ways in which this unassuming chemical compound has profoundly influenced people's lives.
added by mysterymax | editThe Guardian, Chris Lavers (Feb 15, 2002)

Mark Kurlanskyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bekker, Jos denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
del Rey, María JoséCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Klausner, LisaPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liefting, SteefCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miró, CarlesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rapho/GerstenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruggeri, F.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The real price of every thing, what every thing really costs to the man who wants to acquire it, is the toil and trouble of acquiring it.

—Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations, 1776
All our invention and progress seem to result in endowing material forces with intellectual life, and in stultifying human life into a material force.

—Karl Marx, speech, 1856
Dreams are not so different from deeds as some may think. All the deeds of men are only dreams at first. And in the end, their deeds dissolve into dreams.

—Theodore Herzel, Old New Land, 1902
A country is never as poor as when it seems filled with riches.

—Laozi quoted in the
Yan tie lun,
A Discourse on Salt and Iron, 81 B.C.
At the time when Pope Pius VII had to leave Rome, which had been conquered by revolutionary French, the committee of the Chamber of Commerce in London was considering the herring fishery. One member of the committee observed that, since the Pope had been forced to leave Rome, Italy was probably going to become a Prtestant country. "Heaven help us," cried another member. "What," responded the first, "would you be upset to see the number of good Protestants increase?" "No," the other answered," it isn't that, but suppose there are no more Catholics, what shall we do with our herring?"

—Alexander Dumas, Le grand dictionnaire de cuisine, 1873
To my parents, Roslyn Solomon and Philip Mendel Kurlansky, who taught me to love books and music

and

to Talia Feiga, who opened worlds while she slept in the crook of my arm.
Introduction

I bought the rock in Spanish Catalonia, in the rundown hillside mining town of Cardonia.
Chapter One
A Mandate of Salt

Once I stood on the bank of a rice paddy in rural Sichuan Province, and a lean and aging Chinese peasant, wearing a faded forty-year-old blue jacked issued by the Mao government in the early years of the Revolution, stood knee deep in water and apropos of absolutely nothing shouted defiantly at me, "We Chinese invented many things!"
Do not combine Salt: A History with The Story of Salt. The Story of Salt is a much shorter, illustrated version of Salt aimed at children.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142001619, Paperback)

From the Bestselling Author of Cod and The Basque History of the World

In his fifth work of nonfiction, Mark Kurlansky turns his attention to a common household item with a long and intriguing history: salt. The only rock we eat, salt has shaped civilization from the very beginning, and its story is a glittering, often surprising part of the history of humankind. A substance so valuable it served as currency, salt has influenced the establishment of trade routes and cities, provoked and financed wars, secured empires, and inspired revolutions.  Populated by colorful characters and filled with an unending series of fascinating details, Salt by Mark Kurlansky is a supremely entertaining, multi-layered masterpiece.

Mark Kurlansky is the author of many books including Cod, The Basque History of the World, 1968, and The Big Oyster. His newest book is Birdseye.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:26 -0400)

Explores the role of salt in shaping history, discussing how one of the world's most sought-after commodities has influenced economics, science, politics, religion, and eating customs.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,431,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible