Eating for England: The Delights and…

Eating for England: The Delights and Eccentricities of the British at…

by Nigel Slater

English (11)  Finnish (1)  All languages (12)
I’ve been a fan of Nigel Slater for a long time. His writing, the humor, his recipes and gardening tips….I’ll read anything he writes. This collection of essays in Eating for England is top notch. As you read his very descriptive writing you can mentally see exactly what he’s talking about. This particular book was published in England and isn’t an American edition. The quality of the actual book is fantastic. The paper is weightier, there is a silk ribbon attached into the spine to mark your pages and the jacket is heavy and smooth. It’s a gorgeous book.

If you are an Anglophile you’ll love this book for the description of everyday life; the shopping, getting tea ready, interactions in the shops, offices and home. I like this book even more than I did his autobiographical account in Toast.

This one will always have a place on my overcrowded boom shelf. ( )
  SquirrelHead | Nov 3, 2015 |
I loved this book! The short essay format was much to my liking. I enjoyed learning about many foods of England that I did not know about. Humor added a light and friendly touch to this tome. ( )
  LadyoftheLodge | Mar 25, 2015 |
Wonderful. I haven't actually read it cover to cover so posting a review may seem somewhat disengenuous - as it is, the book is not so much a sit down and eat it up in a single sitting, rather, take the time to flick through every now and again to find a treasured food memory. Split into short paragraphs about British foodie topics, anyone who enjoys food or indeed wants to rekindle some nostalgia for childhood will enjoy this book. Slater does memory so well that it is difficult not to feel great warmth from pieces covering the ritual unwrapping and pressing of KitKat foil or more obvious turns such as the polarising effect of Marmite. Although I am still a loss to explain why - apart from the physical resemblance - Nigel Slater reminds me a great deal of Alan Bennet. There is something quintessentially British "lovable bookish" sort of chap about the both of them, a trait which comes through in their writing. Other books are worth a read on this topic (culinary oddities) such as The Gentlemans Relish, but the tone is distant and cold when compared with Slater and his unmistakable passion for the quirks of a culinary life.

August 2012 Update:

I have now read this book cover to cover, and still concur with the earlier review seen above. In fact my complete digestion of Nigel Slater's observational memoir would suit his style perfectly: I enjoyed it a few pieces at a time while crunching celery, cheese, and on occasion a chocolate bar during my work lunch (half) hour. The perfect way to read it for as long as colleagues are a good humoured bunch, you can share the most tantalising and rib tickling treats from this smorgasbord of all our fond food memories. ( )
  gwil0r | Aug 6, 2012 |
A thick book of short essays about British foods that Slater grew up with, or his parents did and his observations about newer choices in the market. I had a hard time putting it down, as this book explains what barley water, treacle tart or good Lord, spotted dick, are, as you hear them mentioned in a movie or a book and wonder. Slater also writes about many British treats that are now extinct or on the verge and manages to bring his grumpy father and racist aunt into his food memories. A must for Anglophiles or foodies. ( )
  mstrust | May 4, 2012 |
A lovely descriptive book of British eating habits and I guess you have to be a Brit to know what half of these things are. It takes me right back to my childhood - very nostalgic. This man is a national treasure and I just loved this book.

Back Cover Blurb:
The British are an eclectic bunch, and no more so than when it comes to food. Eating for England is Nigel Slater's affectionate and lively journey around the food - and characters - we find in our shops and kitchens nationwide. Fondly remember Chocolate Limes or Old English Spangles? Love Fruit & Nut, Dairylea triangles, pear drops and Rich Tea? You aren't alone - food is at the heart of the nation's collective memory, and in bite-size anecdotes, Nigel celebrates British food past and present from all corners of the country. Curious characters emerge wherever there's food to be boasted about, bought, cooked or eaten.... ( )
  mazda502001 | May 1, 2012 |
We're living in a golden age of British food. And yet, as Nigel Slater writes in his hilarious and insightful new book Eating for England: The Delights & Eccentricities of the British at Table, we remain a nation obsessed by Dairylea triangles, Jammie Dodgers and takeaway cappuccinos

'Eating for England' is an observation of the British and their food, their cooking, their eating and how they behave in restaurants. It features chapters on dinner parties, funeral teas, Indian restaurants, dieting and eating whilst under the influence.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,888,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible