Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell

Quarter Share

by Nathan Lowell

Series: Golden Age of the Solar Clipper (1)

Not a lot of action or excitement, but a pleasant and enjoyable story. ( )
  sitting_duck | Mar 22, 2018 |
read to me by Michael ( )
  chelseaknits | Dec 14, 2017 |
I received this book through the Secret Santa so I was unfamiliar with the author. I found the book a quick enjoyable read. I found it a bit shallow in character development and plot. There is a feeling of Polly Anna to me in the telling of the story. Other than the mugging of the main character's friend, Pip, there is no adversity. Ishmael goes from one wondrous thing to another with praise from the highest levels on the ship. I could easily see giving this to my 8 year old nephew. He would find it fascinating. I will try a second book in the series, but unless something happens to engage me more, it will likely be the end of my reading the series. ( )
  klaidlaw | Feb 21, 2017 |
Understated and unhurried. There are no action scenes. It's about a boy who becomes an orphan and hires on as a merchant marine. Well, the sci-fi space equivalent.

I can definitely see how some people would hate this book, but I really enjoyed it. From one point of view almost nothing happened, but I had fun reading about the every day, small time struggles of the characters. It's very zen in a way. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
A Novel take on space travel.

I started reading [b:Quarter Share|2334538|Quarter Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #1)|Nathan Lowell|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1273808382s/2334538.jpg|2341114] without much in the way of expectations and I was pleasantly surprised with how engaging I found the main character and the general story. In fact I found it so engaging I read it in its entirety in two sittings. Nathan Lowell manages to paint a very mundane but somehow engaging world of a life aboard a ship.

Despite this being an entertaining read, there were a few points that nagged at me through the whole reading. The first was that the main characters brilliant suggestions to improve life aboard the ship really weren't that mind shatteringly smart. In fact, a lot of them seemed to be more common sense than anything that someone should be praised for. The second issue, and for me the most disengaging was how much this felt like a young adult novel. Even aboard the most tame and sedate space ship in the world you'd expect someone to care about the opposite sex in a way that's more than discreet giggling and jokes about "boytoys". In fact towards the end of the book I mentally inserted that the crew was given a hormone suppression treatment so I could finish the book.

Overall this was a welcome departure from the usual sci-fi format and was a book I would recommend despite it's flaws. Although now that I've had a taste for this format I would love to see it done in a more "adult" way with some more of the imperfections and conflicts exposed.

adroit762 | May 19, 2014 |

Nathan Lowellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sullivan, Michael J.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Book 1 consists of 28 chapters in 17 episodes, available as a free podcast audio book (podiobook) at podiobooks.com.

Nathan Lowell is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible