The Irresistible Inheritance of Wilberforce:…

The Irresistible Inheritance of Wilberforce: A Novel in Four Vintages (2008)

by Paul Torday

English (17)  German (1)  All languages (18)
2.33
  johnrid11 | Feb 12, 2016 |
2.33
  johnrid11 | Feb 12, 2016 |
An interesting odd and strange book. But a fascinating book as well. It starts at the end and goes towards the beginning. Once you realise it you know there won't be a happy ending. You know the end already. This makes you curious about how it came to the end.

My history with Paul Torday novels is that I first watched the Salmon Fishing in Yemen movie on our flight to Germany in 2012. Then just recently I saw the book as a recommendation in our library. I was slightly more excited about the book than I was about the movie. Which wasn't very excited at all. but it made me wonder about the writers next novels. Did he mature? Did he refine his writing? And yes, he did. The characters are much more drawn out, much more refined.

The Irresistible Inheritance of Wilberforce drew me in. It also made me slightly depressed at some stages, especially at the beginning where everything is rather gloomy and you wonder where it will all end. Then you realise that this is the end and this made me somehow calmer and more relaxed. Somehow like a feeling I had the worst already done and dusted and we can move on now.

PeterNZ | May 11, 2015 |
abandoned after about 70 pages. I picked this up because I loved Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, but this is the story of an alcoholic, from the perspective of said alcoholic, who inherits a truly absurd quantity of high quality wine. Being a non-drinker, this didn't speak to me at all! And I found it deeply frustrating. That said, I suspect wine connoisseurs might find it quite funny. ( )
  readingwithtea | Jan 20, 2014 |
So very sad and true. Can a soul be truly destroyed? ( )
  Hana.Dooren.Richter | Sep 22, 2013 |
This book will probably be described as a good summer read (especially for holidays in the south of France) but it is more than that, and I'm looking forward to hearing more from Paul Torday.

The narrative style has none of the light comedy of Salmon Fishing with its parodies of civil service memos, emails and press reports. Torday's confidence in his story's power to command attention, despite beginning at its end, is not misplaced.
added by geocroc | editThe Independent, Nicola Smyth (Feb 24, 2008)

I'll be impressed if Torday's second book is as big a bestseller as his first; it paints a much darker and more despairing view of life, filled with bitter asides about class and work.
added by geocroc | editThe Guardian, Josh Lacey (Feb 16, 2008)

...Torday's lightness of touch, in particular his ability to find humour in the darkest moments, without gratuitousness or cruelty, makes this an easier read than it should be.

WIlberforce's eyes went up to the ceiling, so that he did not seem to know how his glass went up full to his mouth and came down empty.  WM Thackeray, Vanity Fair
To Piers & Nicholas, Jonathan & Charles
Ich war zu hastig aus dem Taxi ausgestiegen.

Late one summer evening, Wilberforce - rich, young, and work-obsessed - makes a detour on his way home to the vast undercroft of Caerlyon Hall, and the domain of Francis Black, a place where wine, hospitality and affection flow freely. Through Francis, Wilberforce is initiated into a life rich in the promise of friendship and adventure, where, through his new set of friends, the possibility of finding acceptance, and even falling in love, seems finally to be within his reach. Wilberforce becomes a willing pupil to Francis, and in the cellars of Caerlyon he nurtures a new-found passion for wine. But even the finest wine can leave a bitter aftertaste, and Wilberforce will learn the undercroft's unpalatable secrets, and that passion comes at a price ...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:37 -0400)

Chronicling the vintage years of Wilberforce's life, this is a haunting story of obsession and addiction, of loyalty and betrayal.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,252,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible