Where Are You Now?: A Novel by Mary Higgins…

Where Are You Now?: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Mary Higgins Clark

1,205286,646 (3.43)19
Title:Where Are You Now?: A Novel
Authors:Mary Higgins Clark
Info:Simon & Schuster (2008), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, On my shelves
Tags:mystery/suspense, NYT#1, read 2008

Where Are You Now? by Mary Higgins Clark (Author) (2008)

English (26)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (28)
While the overall premise of the book was intriguing, too many irritating things kept me from enjoying it. Told in multiple POVs (I lost count after the 10th person chimed in), much of the time in the beginning I had to skim back to figure out who was who and how (if at all) they connected.

I found Carolyn, our only first person POV, to be an inconsistent character. One moment she's spouting about being an amazing lawyer and the next she's seeking counsel over general law questions any attorney should have known.

The other major issue for me was how incompetent and cold-hearted the police were portrayed as. The hurting siblings of the missing were out finding clues (with no investigative background), while the police apparently never thought to look in those places. Furthermore, they were made out to look extremely closed minded and hyper-focused on one suspect (to which each officer had a different idea as to who that was). Although police do make mistakes, I found this an unrealistic portrayal of what would happen in these circumstances.

The ending itself had a few good twists, but I felt the character development for most of the players was weak and made certain parts of the ending feel unbelievable.

I haven't read a Clark novel since high school, and I remember them being more suspenseful, but now I am thinking that may have been my young age and more innocent mind. Sadly, I found the story and the writing to be subpar to what I've come to expect out of my mysteries and thrillers. For great mysteries, I recommend [a:Tana French|138825|Tana French|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1277505771p2/138825.jpg], [a:Michael Connelly|12470|Michael Connelly|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1406128068p2/12470.jpg], and [a:Kathy Reichs|26372|Kathy Reichs|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1407166867p2/26372.jpg].
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
A decent mystery coming at you in a couple of different directions. Weird tense though, part of it first person and the rest third person. My first Mary Higgins Clark. Will read another of hers. ( )
  DCavin | Jun 16, 2015 |
ok ( )
  Mamajeanne | Aug 23, 2013 |
I read this book in 3 days -- it was very good. Yes, Mary Higgins Clark is light reading, but I was still engrossed. ( )
  JillKB | Apr 4, 2013 |
I enjoyed this one, my first MHC book in a while. The suspense was enough without dragging on too much, and I like the twists. Like typical MHC, this was one-day brain candy but a good read. ( )
  skinglist | Jul 5, 2011 |

Clark, Mary HigginsAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kaskimies, HeikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zum Andenken an Patricia Mary Riker

"Pat", liebe Freundin und wundervolle Frau
It is excatly midnight, which means Mother's day has just begun.
Where are you now Who Lies beneath your spell? -"The Kashmiri Song" Words by, Laurence Hope, Music by, Amy Woodforde-Finden
Olsen untied the ribbon, tore the birthday wrapping paper, and opened the box. It was a Montblanc pen with his initials engraved on the gold clip. A pleased smile brightened his face. "How did you know I lost my good pen?" he asked. "The last time I saw you, youwere using a cheap give-away. It wasn't that hard to make the decision."

It has been ten years since twenty-one-year-old Charles MacKenzie Jr. ("Mack") went missing. A Columbia University senior, about to graduate and already accepted at Duke University Law School, he walked out of his apartment on Manhattan's Upper West Side without a word to his college roommates and has never been seen again. However, he does make one ritual phone call to his mother every year: on Mother's Day. Each time, he assures her he is fine, refuses to answer her frantic questions, then hangs up. Even the death of his father, a corporate lawyer, in the tragedy of 9/11 does not bring him home or break the pattern of his calls.

Mack's sister, Carolyn, is now twenty-six, a law school graduate, and has just finished her clerkship for a civil court judge in Manhattan. She has endured two family tragedies, yet she realizes that she will never be able to have closure and get on with her life until she finds her brother. She resolves to discover what happened to Mack and why he has found it necessary to hide from them. So this year when Mack makes his annual Mother's Day call, Carolyn interrupts to announce her intention to track him down, no matter what it takes. The next morning after Mass, her uncle, Monsignor Devon MacKenzie, receives a scrawled message left in the collection basket: "Uncle Devon, tell Carolyn she must not look for me."

Mack's cryptic warning does nothing to deter his sister from taking up the search, despite the angry reaction of her mother, Olivia, and the polite disapproval of Elliott Wallace, Carolyn's honorary uncle, who is clearly in love with Olivia.

Carolyn's pursuit of the truth about Mack's disappearance swiftly plunges her into a world of unexpected danger and unanswered questions. What is the secret that Gus and Lil Kramer, the superintendents of the building in which Mack was living, have to hide? What do Mack's old roommates, the charismatic club owner Nick DeMarco and the cold and wealthy real estate tycoon Bruce Galbraith, know about Mack's disappearance? Is Nick connected to the disappearance of Leesey Andrews, who had last been seen in his trendy club? Can the police possibly believe that Mack is not only alive, but a serial killer, a shadowy predator of young women? Was Mack also guilty of the brutal murder of his drama teacher and the theft of his taped sessions with her?

Carolyn's passionate search for the truth about her brother -- and for her brother himself -- leads her into a deadly confrontation with someone close to her whose secret he cannot allow her to reveal.

Combining fascinating photographs with popular science writing at its best, The Secret Garden introduces the teeming world hidden in the garden. The text describes the unseen interactions beneath the flurry of activity: chemical signals and weapons, the relations among plants and insects, and the battle for survival. 44 color photos.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:28 -0400)

As Carolyn MacKenzie unravels the mystery behind her brother's disappearance ten years ago, she confronts someone close to her that is equally determined to keep his whereabouts secret at any cost.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,884,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible