Where Are You Now?: A Novel by Mary Higgins…

Where Are You Now?: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Mary Higgins Clark

Member:scoutlee
Title:Where Are You Now?: A Novel
Authors:Mary Higgins Clark
Info:Simon & Schuster (2008), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, On my shelves
Rating:***1/2
Tags:mystery/suspense, NYT#1, read 2008

Where Are You Now? by Mary Higgins Clark (Author) (2008)

English (24)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (26)
ok ( )
  Mamajeanne | Aug 23, 2013 |
I read this book in 3 days -- it was very good. Yes, Mary Higgins Clark is light reading, but I was still engrossed. ( )
  JillKB | Apr 4, 2013 |
I enjoyed this one, my first MHC book in a while. The suspense was enough without dragging on too much, and I like the twists. Like typical MHC, this was one-day brain candy but a good read. ( )
  skinglist | Jul 5, 2011 |
From the moment I started this book, I couldn't stand how the voice of the main character was written. Once I got into the book and read all the different perspectives I enjoyed the book much more. Overall, I found the book to be a good distraction, which was what I needed, but I doubt I will read another book by MHC very soon. ( )
  elektherelic | Apr 5, 2011 |
I really don't know why MHC is writing such mediocre novels these days. Her earlier books, re: before the late 1990's, are terrific. Perhaps her daughter is writing under her name? I have read a few of her daughter's books and, honestly, MHC's latests books smack of Carol's style...even down to the 52 chapters in a regular length book.

I only buy MHC's books now because I keep hoping, that somehow, she'll start writing as she used to. ( )
  WeHomeschool | Sep 24, 2010 |

Clark, Mary HigginsAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kaskimies, HeikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zum Andenken an Patricia Mary Riker

"Pat", liebe Freundin und wundervolle Frau
It is excatly midnight, which means Mother's day has just begun.
Where are you now Who Lies beneath your spell? -"The Kashmiri Song" Words by, Laurence Hope, Music by, Amy Woodforde-Finden

It has been ten years since twenty-one-year-old Charles MacKenzie Jr. ("Mack") went missing. A Columbia University senior, about to graduate and already accepted at Duke University Law School, he walked out of his apartment on Manhattan's Upper West Side without a word to his college roommates and has never been seen again. However, he does make one ritual phone call to his mother every year: on Mother's Day. Each time, he assures her he is fine, refuses to answer her frantic questions, then hangs up. Even the death of his father, a corporate lawyer, in the tragedy of 9/11 does not bring him home or break the pattern of his calls.

Mack's sister, Carolyn, is now twenty-six, a law school graduate, and has just finished her clerkship for a civil court judge in Manhattan. She has endured two family tragedies, yet she realizes that she will never be able to have closure and get on with her life until she finds her brother. She resolves to discover what happened to Mack and why he has found it necessary to hide from them. So this year when Mack makes his annual Mother's Day call, Carolyn interrupts to announce her intention to track him down, no matter what it takes. The next morning after Mass, her uncle, Monsignor Devon MacKenzie, receives a scrawled message left in the collection basket: "Uncle Devon, tell Carolyn she must not look for me."

Mack's cryptic warning does nothing to deter his sister from taking up the search, despite the angry reaction of her mother, Olivia, and the polite disapproval of Elliott Wallace, Carolyn's honorary uncle, who is clearly in love with Olivia.

Carolyn's pursuit of the truth about Mack's disappearance swiftly plunges her into a world of unexpected danger and unanswered questions. What is the secret that Gus and Lil Kramer, the superintendents of the building in which Mack was living, have to hide? What do Mack's old roommates, the charismatic club owner Nick DeMarco and the cold and wealthy real estate tycoon Bruce Galbraith, know about Mack's disappearance? Is Nick connected to the disappearance of Leesey Andrews, who had last been seen in his trendy club? Can the police possibly believe that Mack is not only alive, but a serial killer, a shadowy predator of young women? Was Mack also guilty of the brutal murder of his drama teacher and the theft of his taped sessions with her?

Carolyn's passionate search for the truth about her brother -- and for her brother himself -- leads her into a deadly confrontation with someone close to her whose secret he cannot allow her to reveal.

Combining fascinating photographs with popular science writing at its best, The Secret Garden introduces the teeming world hidden in the garden. The text describes the unseen interactions beneath the flurry of activity: chemical signals and weapons, the relations among plants and insects, and the battle for survival. 44 color photos.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:27 -0400)

As Carolyn MacKenzie unravels the mystery behind her brother's disappearance ten years ago, she confronts someone close to her that is equally determined to keep his whereabouts secret at any cost.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,343,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible