Moominland Midwinter by Tove Jansson

Moominland Midwinter (1957)

by Tove Jansson

Series: Moomintrolls (6)

1,197256,697 (4.37)24

English (17)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (2)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All (25)
I used to like the "Moomins" TV show when I was a boy and remember being excited to receive a copy of this book.

Can't remember much about the story now though. Reckon it was around 1984 when I read it. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Feb 8, 2015 |
It wasn't at all consciously deliberate, but it was so entirely perfect reading this book to Jefferson in January, just when Michigan gave up holding out on winter and started with the snow and cold like a proper winter. Moomintroll, you see, is supposed to hibernate through winter, but this time he wakes up and cannot go back to sleep. And poor Moomintroll is so shocked and distrustful of this winter which has transformed his familiar world into something entirely alien.

Moomintroll is a wonderful protagonist, especially for the introverted reader (or listener!) He has this complicated inner world and we can see when he gets hurt or when other people drive him absolutely around the bend, but despite his frustration tries always to be polite and kind. And as a result often ends up friends with those very people.

Of course, as his polar opposite we have the fierce Little My, who also unexpectedly awakens this winter. Little My says what she wants and does what she wants and could mostly not care less what anyone else thinks, but then every once in a while shows that she is as fiercely loyal as she is independent -- however that works out. As much as I love and identify better with most of the other characters, Little My is always my favorite.

Well, Little My and the Dweller Under the Sink.

Radamsah! ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
Della serie sui Mumin questo per me è decisamente il migliore; i Mumin, se non lo sapete, sono deliziosi troll simili a ippopotami, per nulla spaventosi ma gentili e dotati di una pelle vellutata.
In questo libro il troll Mumin si ritrova a svegliarsi nel bel mezzo del letargo senza riuscire più a riaddormentarsi.
Andrà quindi alla scoperta dell'unica stagione che non conosce, l'inverno, e delle strane e schive creature che lo popolano.
Mentre la piccola Mi, anche lei sveglia dal letargo, riesce a capire subito come divertirsi in questa stagione sconosciuta, il piccolo Mumin si troverà diviso tra nostalgia per la famiglia (tutti ancora addormentati) e i tentativi per comprendere quello che lo circonda.
E' un libro in cui il freddo nordico fa da padrone, con la neve, le bufere, i laghetti ghiacciati, l'aurora boreale e il Grande Gelo.
Il libro mi piace perchè è meno denso di personaggi rispetto agli altri della serie e ha un ritmo pacato e riflessivo, le creature invernali descritte da Tove Jansson hanno ritmi diversi da quelle estive o primaverili e sono in generale molto pacate e flemmatiche (ad eccezione di alcuni Emuli), i paesaggi invernali hanno una magia tutta loro e le Mamme Mumin sono sempre fantastiche. ( )
  Saretta.L | Mar 31, 2013 |
Z seemed to really like this, but he has several chapter books and longer graphic novels going at the same time (plus a mama with laryngitis) so it cut into the continuity factor. Despite these issues, I'm pretty sure that he'll continue to visit Moominvalley in the rest of the series, given his enjoyment of the three volumes he's read so far. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 29, 2013 |
The Moomins usually hibernate for half the year, but one day Moomintroll wakes up to discover a snow-covered world he's never known. Being a longtime Moomin fan, I was predisposed to enjoy this book. The characters and illustrations are simply charming, depicting an innocence without ignorance. It was not my favorite of the Moomin adventures (I'm not sure it could be without Snufkin), but it was still a fun little tale. I particularly liked Moominmamma's comments upon waking. She's my hero. ( )
  melydia | Sep 21, 2010 |

Jansson, Toveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Polet, CoraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warburton, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Äidilleni
The sky was almost black, but the snow shone a bright blue in the moonlight.

Everyone knows that the Moomins sleep through the winter, but this year Moomintroll has woken up in January. After his initial shock at seeing his familiar haunts under the snow, Moomintroll discovers that winter is worth waking up for after all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

When Moomintroll wakes up in January, he finds that winter has changed all his favorite places in the Valley.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140305025, 0141328819

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible