Moominland Midwinter by Tove Jansson

Moominland Midwinter (original 1957; edition 1971)

by Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton (Translator)

Member:konallis
Title:Moominland Midwinter
Authors:Tove Jansson
Other authors:Thomas Warburton (Translator)
Info:Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1971.
Tags:children's/young adult, read 2015

Moominland Midwinter by Tove Jansson (1957)

English (20)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (3)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (29)
So after reading a couple of real downers for novels—downers in the sense of having somewhat depressing subject matter; the books themselves were interesting and well written—I took up more Moomin books. I had, however, followed my spouse's advice, finally, and read The Wind in the Willows so as to get a perspective, as she would have it anyway, on superior literature for young people. I dunno, it seems to me the Moomins aren't far below the dwellers by the river. Anyway, on to this Moomin book.

Normally, everyone in the Moomin household naps during the long winters. But for some reason, Moomintroll wakes up and can't get back to sleep. So he heads outside to wait for Snuffkin's reappearance from his wanderings to the south. Snuffkin always returns with the spring. Moomintroll finds it cold and very lonely outside in the winter.

Then, he encounters a new being, Too-Ticky. Too-Ticky has taken up residence in the boat house. Little My also appears to be awake and gambols around in the snow and cold. Eventually other creatures, Creeps and such, show up and Moomintroll struggles between being hospitable to them and protecting his family's things from being taken over.

As in all things Moomin that I've experienced so far, we have another great story. I'm not sure I'd noticed in the previous four Moomin books that I'd read how good the writing is. Jansson has a great gift for poetic description, almost like Thomas Hardy. ( )
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
Read Moomins because of other Tove Jansson's books, and because of so many people who love them. I like her books, but do not think I will become one of the Moomins fans. They remind me of Winnie the Pooh books, with their philosophical simplicity. Not sure I appreciate it.
P. 17 That would take some time, but at least the decision was made. And that's always a good thing.
P. 25 All things are so very uncertain, and that's exactly what makes me feel reassured.
P. 48 It's very hard to tell if people take any pleasure in their tails when they're dead. ( )
  flydodofly | Dec 25, 2018 |

This is my second favourite of the books. Moomintroll wakes up in the middle of winter, while the rest of the Moomin family are hibernating, and must get to grips with a familiar lanscape made alien by snow, and new neighbours and friends. Chief among these is Too-Ticky, a warm yet slightly enigmatic character who is generally interpreted as Tuulikki Pietilä. In her first conversation with Moomintroll, she concludes: “All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured.” (Original Swedish: “Allt är mycket osäkert, och det är just det som lugnar mig.”) I love this so much that I used it for my Christmas emails last year.

There are some bleak and sad bits here too - the squirrel and the Groke; the dog Sorry-Oo and the skiing Hemulen. But in the end it’s a story of renewal and reassurance. ( )
  nwhyte | Sep 23, 2018 |
I used to like the "Moomins" TV show when I was a boy and remember being excited to receive a copy of this book.

Can't remember much about the story now though. Reckon it was around 1984 when I read it. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Feb 8, 2015 |
It wasn't at all consciously deliberate, but it was so entirely perfect reading this book to Jefferson in January, just when Michigan gave up holding out on winter and started with the snow and cold like a proper winter. Moomintroll, you see, is supposed to hibernate through winter, but this time he wakes up and cannot go back to sleep. And poor Moomintroll is so shocked and distrustful of this winter which has transformed his familiar world into something entirely alien.

Moomintroll is a wonderful protagonist, especially for the introverted reader (or listener!) He has this complicated inner world and we can see when he gets hurt or when other people drive him absolutely around the bend, but despite his frustration tries always to be polite and kind. And as a result often ends up friends with those very people.

Of course, as his polar opposite we have the fierce Little My, who also unexpectedly awakens this winter. Little My says what she wants and does what she wants and could mostly not care less what anyone else thinks, but then every once in a while shows that she is as fiercely loyal as she is independent -- however that works out. As much as I love and identify better with most of the other characters, Little My is always my favorite.

Well, Little My and the Dweller Under the Sink.

Radamsah! ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |

Jansson, Toveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Järvinen, LailaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Polet, CoraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warburton, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
The sky was almost black, but the snow shone a bright blue in the moonlight.

Everyone knows that the Moomins sleep through the winter, but this year Moomintroll has woken up in January. After his initial shock at seeing his familiar haunts under the snow, Moomintroll discovers that winter is worth waking up for after all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

When Moomintroll wakes up in January, he finds that winter has changed all his favorite places in the Valley.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140305025, 0141328819

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,367,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible