Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

Black Beauty (original 1877; edition 2011)

by Anna Sewell

Title:Black Beauty
Authors:Anna Sewell
Info:CreateSpace (2011), Paperback, 124 pages
Collections:13 OF 13 A BIT EARLY, 2012 READ LIST, Your library

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell (1877)

Recently added byBluebellbluebell, KOsLFL, Beammey, private library, zombiehero, smbraddy, 12Bubbles3, awainakins, kezz_14, jrr223
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg

English (110)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (112)
Black Beauty is about a horse who is sold from dealer to dealer. Some of Black beauties owners are affectionate and loving, but some are mean and make Black Beauty wear a tight checkreign. But no matter how Black Beauty's owners treat her, she stays strong. Black Beauty makes friends along the way who give her advice like a short pony named Merrylegs. Read on an experience Black Beauty's life with him. I liked this book because I felt like I was experiencing his life. I recommend this book to people who love horses. ( )
  AnnabelN8 | Nov 11, 2015 |
I thought I had read this book as a child and in fact, as I began to read I remembered much of the story. As a child I either stopped reading midway through or blocked out the rest of the story, because it was rather tragic. The story was set in 19th century England, at a time when almost everyone came into frequent contact with horses. It is told from the narrative of Black Beauty, a noble stallion, who is bought and sold many times to various owners, and who treated their horses in various ways. Anna Sewell wrote this to illustrate the abuse of horses, in particulary the harsh use of the bearing rein. The bearing rein was used to get the horse's head arched, but made it difficult for the horse to breathe and near impossible for the horse to pull a carriage uphill. We meet other horses who share a stable, at various times, with Black Beauty and in some cases their demise which is quite painful. Of course at the end, Black Beauty ends up back with an earlier groom and lives his final years in happiness, but to get there, he endures much. I would suggest not necessarily a book for younger children, but a great read especially when you are trying to teach about proper treatment of animals. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Aug 18, 2015 |
Summary: The story of a horse named Black Beauty that begins its life free in a meadow, then worked pulling elegant carriages, then turns into an overworked cab horse. Black beauty meets owners that are kind and gentle and cruel masters.

Personal reflection: I liked this book and am surprised I had never read it before. Wonder Horse was the book that made me want to read Black Beauty because I love books about animal rights.

Class Use: For text sets on animal rights, to read aloud and invite discussion on the life of Black Beauty and how animals should be treated. Also, history unit on animal rights throughout history
  MelissaKlatt | Apr 26, 2015 |
2005, Tantor Media, Read by Simon Vance

“The first place that I can well remember was a large pleasant meadow with a pond of clear water in it. Some shady trees leaned over it, and rushes and water-lilies grew at the deep end. ” (Ch 1)

I thoroughly enjoyed rereading this beautiful childhood classic, an autobiographical memoir narrated in first person by Black Beauty himself. Beauty tells his story, beginning with his carefree young life on an English farm with his mother, through his difficult years pulling cabs in London, and finally to his retirement in the English countryside. Along the way, he has met with much kindness but also with substantial cruelty. Sewell devotes each chapter to some moral lesson about the kind and understanding treatment of horses. Through Beauty's first person narration we gain insight into into the disposition and dignity of an animal well-treated. Conversely, we also come to understand some of the ways in which humans have caused horses to suffer needlessly, in the name of fashion, for instance, as with blinkers and bearing reins. It was Sewell’s intention, I suspect, given her admirable and passionate advocacy for the better treatment of horses, that young people might read Black Beauty’s story and come to effect change in the world that all animals might know kindness and compassion.

“My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.” (38) ( )
5 vote lit_chick | Feb 19, 2015 |
Black Beauty is a horse of good breeding and training and in this autobiographical novel he tells of the different stages he went through in his life. In his early years he enjoyed playing in the meadow and spending time with his mother. He was trained to be a carriage horse and he took great pride in doing his job well. However as he was sold to different owners, a duke, a livery stable owner, a cab driver, a baker, another cab driver in London his life changed as he moved down in the world.

Mr. Thoroughgood and his grandson, Willie, see Black Beauty at his lowest but still see the good bones and the style he has. They purchase him and retire him to a meadow where he regains his health and spirit. Black Beauty’s last owners are three ladies and he becomes a carriage horse once more.

The publication of “Black Beauty” in England in 1877 had a major focus on animal welfare as well as treating other people with kindness and respect. “… the “Encyclopedia of Animal Rights and Animal Welfare", have referred to "Black Beauty" as being “the most influential anti-cruelty novel of all time”. (Wikipedia - Black Beauty.) Anna Sewell wrote it for those who worked with horses, she said “a special aim [was] to induce kindness, sympathy, and an understanding treatment of horses.” (Wikipedia - Anna Sewell.)
Posted Review Five Stars ( )
2 vote pmarshall | Feb 8, 2015 |

Is retold in

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

To my dear and honoured Mother, whose life, no less than her pen, has been devoted to the welfare of others, this little book is affectionately dedicated.
The first place that I can well remember, was a large pleasant meadow with a pond of clear water in it.
.... there is no religion without love, and people may talk as much as they like about their religion, but if it does not teach them to be good and kind to man and beast, it is all a sham....’ — Chapter 13, last paragraph.
… remember, we shall all have to be judged according to our works, whether they be toward man or toward beast. — Chapter 11 – Plain speaking
isbn 0140300643 associated with the novel, not the abridgement.

ISBN 0140366849 is a Puffin edition of Black Beauty.
Please do not combine this work with either books or film adaptations. If you have a copy of this work, please consider supplying the name of the author (in the case of a book) or director (if it is a film).
ISBN 0689842554 is an Aladdin Classics edtion of Black Beauty.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439228905, Mass Market Paperback)

A horse is a horse of course unless of course the horse is Black Beauty. Animal-loving children have been devoted to Black Beauty throughout this century, and no doubt will continue through the next. Although Anna Sewell's classic paints a clear picture of turn-of-the-century London, its message is universal and timeless: animals will serve humans well if they are treated with consideration and kindness.

Black Beauty tells the story of the horse's own long and varied life, from a well-born colt in a pleasant meadow to an elegant carriage horse for a gentleman to a painfully overworked cab horse. Throughout, Sewell rails--in a gentle, 19th-century way--against animal maltreatment. Young readers will follow Black Beauty's fortunes, good and bad, with gentle masters as well as cruel. Children can easily make the leap from horse-human relationships to human-human relationships, and begin to understand how their own consideration of others may be a benefit to all. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:34 -0400)

A horse in nineteenth-century England recounts his experiences with both good and bad masters.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321032, 0141808357, 0141334886, 0143106473

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100127, 1400108616

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,894,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible