Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

Black Beauty (original 1877; edition 2011)

by Anna Sewell

Member:ALWINN
Title:Black Beauty
Authors:Anna Sewell
Info:CreateSpace (2011), Paperback, 124 pages
Collections:13 OF 13 A BIT EARLY, 2012 READ LIST, Your library
Rating:***

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell (1877)

Recently added bytelopea, missmel58, Schehezerade, MLLathrop, RaineKoshou, theWallflower, Jonah.Mae, private library, cschold
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg

English (103)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (105)
I think black beauty is the best story I ever read I never wanted it to end. From the begining that black beauty met his friends to the adventures he had with them I was trapped in the book and couldn't stop. I think that probably not many 9 year-olds have read Black Beauty. So Black Beauty is a young horse who is very polite because his mother had taught him well while the other fillies where horsing around. Black Beauty has grown up with great owners and not so great owners. He totally knows who is good and who is bad. When he get sold to other people he usually sees his friends around town. I personally thought the ending was sweet and I will never forget his story. ( )
  tesia.rose3 | Nov 13, 2014 |
Anna Sewell wrote Black Beauty partly to raise awareness of the cruelty inflicted on working animals. Although the detail may have changed it is, tragically, even more necessary to highlight this message these days. We seem to have slipped backwards, in my opinion, or maybe we have never got any better. We have always struggled with the use of animals by some people as ‘trophies’ or status symbols. For Black Beauty, his idyllic life in a field with his mother comes to an end firstly with a gentle, kind master and grooms at his first home, and then goes steadily downhill once the master dies. In this phase Ginger, Merrylegs and the Captain keep him company. Captain was a War Horse, although the Crimean not the First World War. Anna Sewell’s description of Captain’s adventures meant for me that I had already envisaged the whole of Michael Morpurgo’s War Horse. It had stayed with me all my life, from a first reading when I was maybe ten. Imagine my surprise on my recent reading when I found the whole of Captain’s story laid out in no more than three pages!

Black Beauty’s relatively good life as a cab horse dredges up all the horrors of Victorian London – and if you think rush hour is a modern invention, remember that it was as bad in Victorian London, with traffic jams of horse drawn vehicles of all shapes and sizes. With added poo. Anna Sewell speaks out against barabaric practices such as the bearing rein – forcing ‘fashionable’ high head carriage but making it impossible for the horse to use its strength or to breathe properly. She shows that people did care for their animals, but as with most of us, conflicts between feeding and clothing one’s family means that the animals get second best, where best is by no means good. Black Beauty does have a happy ending, but it gets worse before it gets better, as perhaps all good stories should.

It can be read as a historical novel, or a children’s book, but it is for children of all ages, and the messages in it are timeless. One of the best books I have ever read, and I’m glad I kept my copy all the way through the many housemoves till it regained an honoured place on my bookshelf.

Read this book. Again. ( )
  Jemima_Pett | Nov 11, 2014 |
This book marks my sixth (#6) book read in my Classics Challenge to read 50 classics in 5 years. Most people have read this long before my age and consider it a childhood favorite. I had several horse-loving girlfriends growing up and surprisingly this never made it into my hands.

Told in the perspective of the horse itself, Black Beauty's message is repeatedly that of kindness. Throughout his life he changes homes and owners many times. Some behave kindly while other do not. Regardless of how Black Beauty is treated he perseveres in spite of it and continues to be a strong yet gentle horse. His compassion deepens after witnessing the inhumane and cruel conduct to his fellow horses by their owners and caretakers.

While this was elegantly written it was at a basic level and as such would consider and recommend it as ideal reading for children and/or young adults.

How I acquired this book: Purchase by husband on Mother's Day visit to Moe's Books in Berkeley
Shelf Life: 6 months ( )
  missjomarch | Nov 10, 2014 |
God I fucking hate horses and absolutely fucking everything about them. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

To my dear and honoured Mother, whose life, no less than her pen, has been devoted to the welfare of others, this little book is affectionately dedicated.
The first place that I can well remember, was a large pleasant meadow with a pond of clear water in it.
.... there is no religion without love, and people may talk as much as they like about their religion, but if it does not teach them to be good and kind to man and beast, it is all a sham....’ — Chapter 13, last paragraph.
… remember, we shall all have to be judged according to our works, whether they be toward man or toward beast. — Chapter 11 – Plain speaking
isbn 0140300643 associated with the novel, not the abridgement.

ISBN 0140366849 is a Puffin edition of Black Beauty.
ISBN 0689842554 is an Aladdin Classics edtion of Black Beauty.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439228905, Mass Market Paperback)

A horse is a horse of course unless of course the horse is Black Beauty. Animal-loving children have been devoted to Black Beauty throughout this century, and no doubt will continue through the next. Although Anna Sewell's classic paints a clear picture of turn-of-the-century London, its message is universal and timeless: animals will serve humans well if they are treated with consideration and kindness.

Black Beauty tells the story of the horse's own long and varied life, from a well-born colt in a pleasant meadow to an elegant carriage horse for a gentleman to a painfully overworked cab horse. Throughout, Sewell rails--in a gentle, 19th-century way--against animal maltreatment. Young readers will follow Black Beauty's fortunes, good and bad, with gentle masters as well as cruel. Children can easily make the leap from horse-human relationships to human-human relationships, and begin to understand how their own consideration of others may be a benefit to all. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:44 -0400)

A horse in nineteenth-century England recounts his experiences with both good and bad masters.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321032, 0141808357, 0141334886, 0143106473

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,919,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible