Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

Black Beauty (original 1877; edition 2011)

by Anna Sewell

7,94199411 (3.92)279
Member:ALWINN
Title:Black Beauty
Authors:Anna Sewell
Info:CreateSpace (2011), Paperback, 124 pages
Collections:13 OF 13 A BIT EARLY, 2012 READ LIST, Your library
Rating:***

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell (1877)

English (97)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (99)
Sewell wrote a marvelous story about a horse in a man's world. The elegant writing style brought forth beautiful images. Being a horse isn't all fabulous and trotting about, as I had previously assumed. Not just for children, a classic. Worth the read. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
This novel is all about the life of a horse called Beauty in the Victorian age. He tells tales about all his homes and owners, and the ups and downs about everything he encounters. The book also has a powerful message about the humane treatment of animals.
Beaut finally gets settled at his last home, and it turns out that he meets Joe Green, who was just a child the last time they met. Joe was ecstatic to be with Beauty again. The novel ends with the promise of a permanent home, and great friends.

I loved this book growing up and loved the movie. I grew up on a ranch with a bunch of horses and cattle and it made me think of a lot of the horses we have saved from the slaughter over the years. Such a beautiful story and a great lesson for children.The first lesson taught in this book was to get to know the things that you are afraid of because they might not be as scary as you thought. This is a valuable lesson for young children because they are usually scared of a lot of things and this teaches them that they do not need to be scared. Another lesson taught in this book was to always behave no matter who your owner is. This can be translated to students as you should always behave no matter who your teacher is. Students cannot pick their teachers, and even if they do not like them they still need to behave and respect them because they are adults. A third very powerful lesson taught by this book was that it is cruel to hurt the weak and helpless and that good people should be kind to man and beast. This is very important for young children to understand. They need to learn not to tease or hurt their peers. They also need to learn that it is not right to hurt animals because even though they cannot speak they still can feel pain. This book is very helpful in teaching students life lessons in a very subtle way. .

I would use this in a classroom by doing a unit over horses and read other horse books. I could have them write a little story about a horse or have them draw horse. ( )
  carlibmiller | Apr 15, 2014 |
I read this as a girl and really liked it. I still liked it. A good story of how horses were used before the car. ( )
  mahallett | Apr 13, 2014 |
I used to have one of the original hard bound versions of the books that was my grandmothers when SHE was a little girl, given to her by her mother. By the time I read it first as a little girl, the binding was so brittle that the individual pages were loose, & brittle themselves, like an ancient manuscript. I was only allowed to read it at the dining room table, so the book & the pages could be spread out on the tablecloth under a softer light. I can still remember the antique book smell of it, & as I read each page, I'd turn them over oh so carefully to get to the next part of the story.

Beauty, Ginger, Merrylegs, all became like old friends, & it was so sad to see all the sad things that happened over their lives. I cried when the Mistress had to sell them all because of her ill health & move, I cried when the drunk didn't take care of Beauty & his knees ended up a mess, I was sad for Ginger when a spoiled rich young man raced her till she broke down, but I was happy to see them together again in their paddock for a year.

When they both were sold as cab horses, Beauty to a kind man, & poor, long suffering Ginger to an abusive lout, I knew in my heart what was going to end up happening to her, but the mental image the original book painted of her in such horrible shape that the life had gone out of her eyes & she was suffering so much that even Beauty hoped she would die , & then when he saw the horse cart go by, & he recognized her body under the blankets, I cried again, & that was more than 30 years ago & I can still see it in my mind.

I was so thankful at the end, when as an older horse, Beauty ends up in the final care of the young groom he first knew in happier days, & would live the rest of his life there, loved & well cared for.

it's a book I would recommend for anyone, child or adult ( )
1 vote Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 10, 2014 |
I enjoyed this cute book! I really enjoyed the way the author allowed her readers to learn about horses through horses' perspectives. It gives a mix of facts and fiction. For example the book states, “One day Farmer Grey decided it was time to break me in. I learned to wear a harness and a bridle with brinkers.” This quote was a fun way to learn the steps of breaking a horse in. It was also easy to connect to the horses because we were reading the story through their eyes. A great quote that shows this is, “”My mother said, “Some men are kind like our master. Others are not. A horse never knows who will buy them.”” The main message of this book was about animal cruelty and how to properly treat animals. ( )
  jtaylo41 | Mar 11, 2014 |

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

To my dear and honoured Mother, whose life, no less than her pen, has been devoted to the welfare of others, this little book is affectionately dedicated.
The first place that I can well remember, was a large pleasant meadow with a pond of clear water in it.
.... there is no religion without love, and people may talk as much as they like about their religion, but if it does not teach them to be good and kind to man and beast, it is all a sham....’ — Chapter 13, last paragraph.
… remember, we shall all have to be judged according to our works, whether they be toward man or toward beast. — Chapter 11 – Plain speaking
isbn 0140300643 associated with the novel, not the abridgement.

ISBN 0140366849 is a Puffin edition of Black Beauty.
ISBN 0689842554 is an Aladdin Classics edtion of Black Beauty.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439228905, Mass Market Paperback)

A horse is a horse of course unless of course the horse is Black Beauty. Animal-loving children have been devoted to Black Beauty throughout this century, and no doubt will continue through the next. Although Anna Sewell's classic paints a clear picture of turn-of-the-century London, its message is universal and timeless: animals will serve humans well if they are treated with consideration and kindness.

Black Beauty tells the story of the horse's own long and varied life, from a well-born colt in a pleasant meadow to an elegant carriage horse for a gentleman to a painfully overworked cab horse. Throughout, Sewell rails--in a gentle, 19th-century way--against animal maltreatment. Young readers will follow Black Beauty's fortunes, good and bad, with gentle masters as well as cruel. Children can easily make the leap from horse-human relationships to human-human relationships, and begin to understand how their own consideration of others may be a benefit to all. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:44 -0400)

A horse in nineteenth-century England recounts his experiences with both good and bad masters.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321032, 0141808357, 0141334886, 0143106473

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible