Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

Black Beauty (original 1877; edition 2011)

by Anna Sewell

Member:ALWINN
Title:Black Beauty
Authors:Anna Sewell
Info:CreateSpace (2011), Paperback, 124 pages
Collections:13 OF 13 A BIT EARLY, 2012 READ LIST, Your library
Rating:***

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell (1877)

Recently added byAshleyDioses, NTMHML, CaraP, JurgenJacobs, sherryearly, elsewhere_, arpitzain, chettiedwards, private library
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg

English (109)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (111)
Summary: The story of a horse named Black Beauty that begins its life free in a meadow, then worked pulling elegant carriages, then turns into an overworked cab horse. Black beauty meets owners that are kind and gentle and cruel masters.

Personal reflection: I liked this book and am surprised I had never read it before. Wonder Horse was the book that made me want to read Black Beauty because I love books about animal rights.

Class Use: For text sets on animal rights, to read aloud and invite discussion on the life of Black Beauty and how animals should be treated. Also, history unit on animal rights throughout history
  MelissaKlatt | Apr 26, 2015 |
2005, Tantor Media, Read by Simon Vance

“The first place that I can well remember was a large pleasant meadow with a pond of clear water in it. Some shady trees leaned over it, and rushes and water-lilies grew at the deep end. ” (Ch 1)

I thoroughly enjoyed rereading this beautiful childhood classic, an autobiographical memoir narrated in first person by Black Beauty himself. Beauty tells his story, beginning with his carefree young life on an English farm with his mother, through his difficult years pulling cabs in London, and finally to his retirement in the English countryside. Along the way, he has met with much kindness but also with substantial cruelty. Sewell devotes each chapter to some moral lesson about the kind and understanding treatment of horses. Through Beauty's first person narration we gain insight into into the disposition and dignity of an animal well-treated. Conversely, we also come to understand some of the ways in which humans have caused horses to suffer needlessly, in the name of fashion, for instance, as with blinkers and bearing reins. It was Sewell’s intention, I suspect, given her admirable and passionate advocacy for the better treatment of horses, that young people might read Black Beauty’s story and come to effect change in the world that all animals might know kindness and compassion.

“My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.” (38) ( )
5 vote lit_chick | Feb 19, 2015 |
Black Beauty is a horse of good breeding and training and in this autobiographical novel he tells of the different stages he went through in his life. In his early years he enjoyed playing in the meadow and spending time with his mother. He was trained to be a carriage horse and he took great pride in doing his job well. However as he was sold to different owners, a duke, a livery stable owner, a cab driver, a baker, another cab driver in London his life changed as he moved down in the world.

Mr. Thoroughgood and his grandson, Willie, see Black Beauty at his lowest but still see the good bones and the style he has. They purchase him and retire him to a meadow where he regains his health and spirit. Black Beauty’s last owners are three ladies and he becomes a carriage horse once more.

The publication of “Black Beauty” in England in 1877 had a major focus on animal welfare as well as treating other people with kindness and respect. “… the “Encyclopedia of Animal Rights and Animal Welfare", have referred to "Black Beauty" as being “the most influential anti-cruelty novel of all time”. (Wikipedia - Black Beauty.) Anna Sewell wrote it for those who worked with horses, she said “a special aim [was] to induce kindness, sympathy, and an understanding treatment of horses.” (Wikipedia - Anna Sewell.)
Posted Review Five Stars ( )
2 vote pmarshall | Feb 8, 2015 |
This is a beautifully bound edition of Anna Sewell's classic story. I re-read it because I intend to give it to my grand-daughter.

Black Beauty is told from the horse's perspective and contains a lot of information about how horses were used and treated 200 years ago. I think it has stood the test of the time because it is so evocative of an era. ( )
1 vote LynnB | Jan 31, 2015 |
Well, it's definitely about a horse.

This was a book assigned as reading in either fifth grade or sixth grade. Anyway, it was never finished, not sure why. The reading unit moved onto something else that didn't involve silent reading. Maybe policies changed.

Anyway, it falls under the category of so many other books I've read. It's just boring and out of date. If you like horses, there's a lot of detail about how horses were treated and all the equipment and things you don't think of, like having to brush down a horse of its sweat after a hard ride or it'll get pneumonia. But it's lacking any overall plot, any overall story arc or obstacle or goal. It's just a horse living. More interesting things happen to its owners, but the horse doesn't get to hear about that because it's in the barn.

The only reason I can think to read it is if you were SUPER into horses. Most classics are classics because they've got some themes that relate to today. I'm having trouble seeing where the equivalents are for beasts of burden. Just about everything we used to use horses for are now done by cars and trucks. Horses are now pets or show animals (or merchandise for princess dolls), and thus, rarely mistreated. I think there are better "talking animal" books out there that fit our society today. ( )
  theWallflower | Jan 29, 2015 |

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

To my dear and honoured Mother, whose life, no less than her pen, has been devoted to the welfare of others, this little book is affectionately dedicated.
The first place that I can well remember, was a large pleasant meadow with a pond of clear water in it.
.... there is no religion without love, and people may talk as much as they like about their religion, but if it does not teach them to be good and kind to man and beast, it is all a sham....’ — Chapter 13, last paragraph.
… remember, we shall all have to be judged according to our works, whether they be toward man or toward beast. — Chapter 11 – Plain speaking
isbn 0140300643 associated with the novel, not the abridgement.

ISBN 0140366849 is a Puffin edition of Black Beauty.
ISBN 0689842554 is an Aladdin Classics edtion of Black Beauty.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439228905, Mass Market Paperback)

A horse is a horse of course unless of course the horse is Black Beauty. Animal-loving children have been devoted to Black Beauty throughout this century, and no doubt will continue through the next. Although Anna Sewell's classic paints a clear picture of turn-of-the-century London, its message is universal and timeless: animals will serve humans well if they are treated with consideration and kindness.

Black Beauty tells the story of the horse's own long and varied life, from a well-born colt in a pleasant meadow to an elegant carriage horse for a gentleman to a painfully overworked cab horse. Throughout, Sewell rails--in a gentle, 19th-century way--against animal maltreatment. Young readers will follow Black Beauty's fortunes, good and bad, with gentle masters as well as cruel. Children can easily make the leap from horse-human relationships to human-human relationships, and begin to understand how their own consideration of others may be a benefit to all. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:34 -0400)

A horse in nineteenth-century England recounts his experiences with both good and bad masters.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321032, 0141808357, 0141334886, 0143106473

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100127, 1400108616

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438987, 1909438995

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,483,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible