The glassblower of Murano by Marina Fiorato

The glassblower of Murano (edition 2009)

by Marina Fiorato

Member:tmbcoughlin
Title:The glassblower of Murano
Authors:Marina Fiorato
Info:New York : St. Martin's Griffin, 2009.
Rating:***1/2

The Glassblower of Murano by Marina Fiorato

The Girl in the Glass by Susan Meissner (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books involve a young woman escaping romantic tragedy and traveling to Italy, where she has family history.
    The Midwife of Venice by Roberta Rich (tesskrose)
    The Glass Painter's Daughter by Rachel Hore (tesskrose)
    tesskrose: Similar themes in the glass artisan industry
    The Secret of the Glass by Donna Russo Morin (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are about female glassblowers and are set in Renaissance Murano, Venice.

English (77)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  All (80)
Never really engaged my interest. Blame it on the election.
  bookczuk | Nov 8, 2016 |
3.5 stars - a quick and easy read, enjoyable as it brought back memories of Venice for me. The story shifts between present-day Venice and 1681, with both parts holding my attention equally well. Raised in England, Leonora Manin moves to Venice in search of her roots and herself. She tries to find out what happened to her ancestor and artistic inspiration, glassblower Corradino Manin in 1681. The descriptions of the glassblowing techniques are fascinating and the city of Venice is beautifully portrayed. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
A good story but kind of emotional. Also I'm never a fan of books that switch back and forth between time periods. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
This book is a little slow going but if you can get beyond the first couple of chapters it is definitely worth it. I really enjoyed the whole premise of the story - a woman, Nora/Leonora goes through a divorce after her husband leaves her because they weren't able to conceive (he left her to go to another woman who got pregnant right away) and rather than stay and watch she decides to make the spontaneous decision to go to Venice where she was born and start a new life, blowing glass like her famous ancestors.

There are a lot of things in this book I liked. I found the main character extremely likeable - her reasons for wanting to change her life, the insecurities, the desires she has is something that resonates with me and rather than rolling my eyes when she falls pregnant, I couldn't help but feel nothing but happiness for her because it wasn't an over-blown, dramatic 'it's a miracle' situation but just something that happened and for me, it was handled perfectly.

The story of her looking for her place in life - from trying to find out about her ancestors and reconciling his history with her own is handled well. We find out his story throughout with chapters dedicated to what really happened inter-cut with the modern tales and both stories are well written and engrossing.

The love story doesn't over-shadow anything, but you still find yourself rooting for success and wishing for a little more development in terms of Allesandro's character as he proves to be a pretty central figure to Leonora's story. What little we got with him was good (I especially liked their confrontation near the end, and their visiting of the cemetery together) but I almost felt that as 'the love interest' that he almost could have been given more to do in certain parts of the book.

I could have given this five stars because I really did enjoy it, but I downgraded it one because of the slow start and the fact that some storylines felt a little rushed at the end. Leonora's rival at the glass factory attacks her then tries to destroy her career by selling a story to Allesandro's ex but then disappears. Vittoria, Alesandro's ex, interviews Leonora at one stage in the book and realises she's in a relationship with Alesandro and makes the villainess vow of 'stealing' him back, but again that storyline is not mentioned again. There are just little things that make me almost wish there had been 50 pages more just to flesh certain things out. Regardless, it's a petty grip as it is worth reading and if you enjoy aspects of history combined with the modern then it should be right up your alley. Well worth a read, I think. ( )
  sunnycouger | Sep 20, 2013 |
This is a great premise for a book. I was really looking forward to reading about renaissance Venice and the glassblowers. Unfortunately, I found it to be pretty poorly executed and in places hugely far-fetched with some plot holes you could practically walk through.
By the end it had almost turned into one massive cliche. I found it all the more disappointing because it had the potential to be so good. ( )
  cathymoore | Sep 16, 2013 |

Marina Fioratoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boer, Ernst deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Klootwijk, AnkieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Conrad, Ruby and, most of all, Sacha; you are all in this book somewhere.
As Corradino Manin looked on the lights of San Marco for the last time, Venice from the lagoon seemed to him a golden constellation in the dark blue velvet dusk.

Leonora moves
Insipid romance
Pales against historical
Account of Venice.
(passion4reading)

Venice, 1681. Glassblowing is the lifeblood of the Republic, and Venetian mirriors are more precious than gold. Jealously guarded by the murderous Council of Ten, the glassblowers of Murano are virutally imprisoned on their island in the lagoon. But the greatest of the artists, Corradino Manin, sells his methods and his soul to Louis XIV of France to protect his secret daughter. In the present day, his descendent, Leonara Manin, leaves London for a new life as a glassblower in Venice -- only to find her fate inextricably linked with her ancestor's dangerous secrets--Cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Glassblower of Murano by Marina Fiorato was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,790,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible