The Story of Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden

The Story of Holly and Ivy (1958)

by Rumer Godden

487None21,009 (4.32)14

Delightful Christmas story of an orphan (Ivy) who is not adopted and a doll (Holly) left behind on the shelf at the toy store after all the Christmas has been done. They find each other, and Ivy finds her "grandmother". This is an oldie, but goodie. ( )
  thornton37814 | Dec 4, 2013 |
Stood the test of time, this will be a Christmas present for my niece this year. ( )
  E.J | Apr 3, 2013 |
The Story of Holly and Ivy, illustrated by Adrienne Adams.

I have always loved Rumer Godden's The Story of Holly and Ivy, a delightful little Christmas tale in which a lonely doll named Holly, and a lonelier orphan named Ivy, find one another and a home, all thanks to the magic of the season. But as I was rereading it this Christmas Eve past, it suddenly occurred to me that this wasn't the story of two lonely souls, but of three. Which, if you've read the book, might seem obvious. How odd that, as a younger reader, I breezed on past Mrs. Jones, and her quiet longing for a child, concentrating more on Holly and Ivy, whereas this time around, Mrs. Jones' narrative seemed particularly poignant to me.

It's a testament to Godden's skill as an author, I think, that this brief early reader/chapter-book - only sixty-four pages - can feel so fresh, after being read so many times, and still have something new to offer, upon each successive reading. The illustrations in my vintage edition were done by Adrienne Adams (as opposed to the more recent version with artwork by Barbara Cooney), and have a soft, dreamy quality that greatly enhances the charm of the story. I think my favorite is the end-paper illustration, with the bare tree standing in the village square!

All in all, The Story of Holly and Ivy is a sweet little holiday tale, one I would recommend to little girls who love doll stories, to young readers who enjoy magical Christmas adventures, or to Adrienne Adams fans. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Mar 31, 2013 |
An extremely touching and meaningful Christmas story that will appeal to children of all ages. ( )
  hollybdurso | Feb 11, 2011 |
Ivy is an orphan who wishes she could find her imaginary grandmother. Meanwhile, another lady wishes she had a little girl to call her own. A toyshop has a lonely doll called Holly who is wishing for a little girl to love her. One day in the Christmas season Ivy is sent to stay with a foster carer. However, she decides to go and look for her grandmother. What follows is a charming tale that captures the spirit of Christmas in a timeless manner. If ever there was a season for wishes to come true then Christmas is it. Read this delightful tale to discover if these characters get their heart’s desires. ( )
1 vote kehs | Dec 13, 2008 |

Rumer Goddenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adams, AdrienneIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Birmingham, ChristianIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cooney, BarbaraIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Ivy, Holly, and Mr. and Mrs. Jones all have one Christmas wish. Ivy, an orphan, wishes for a real home and sets out in search of the grandmother she's sure she can find. Holly, a doll, wishes for a child to bring her to life. And the Joneses wish more than anything for a son or daughter to share their holiday. Can all three wishes come true? This festive tale is perfectly complemented by beloved Barbara Cooney's luminous illustrations, filled with the warm glow of the Christmas spirit.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:20 -0400)

Orphaned Ivy finds her Christmas wish fulfilled with the help of a lonely couple and a doll named Holly.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,414,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible