Anne Frank's Tales from the Secret Annexe -…

Anne Frank's Tales from the Secret Annexe - Stories, essays, fables and… (original 1949; edition 1986)

by Anne Frank (Author), Ralph Manheim (Translator), Michel Mok (Translator)

Member:nadineeg
Title:Anne Frank's Tales from the Secret Annexe - Stories, essays, fables and reminiscences written in hiding
Authors:Anne Frank (Author)
Other authors:Ralph Manheim (Translator), Michel Mok (Translator)
Info:Penguin Books

Tales from the House Behind by Anne Frank (1949)

Night by Elie Wiesel (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both based on true-life young adults; faced with great WWII horrors.

English (14)  Italian (2)  All languages (16)
A wonderful supplement to her diary. In some ways, I even enjoyed this more. I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in Anne Frank, a truly remarkable young lady. ( )
  DanNimak | Jan 22, 2018 |
Beautifully thoughtful and meaningful diary entries and short stories by a talented young writer. Enjoyed very much. ( )
  teedee_m | Aug 25, 2017 |
This book was about a young girl named Anne who lived during the time of the Holocaust. This was a time close to WWII, and Adolf Hitler was dictator of Germany, and captured many Jewish people to put in concentration camps and gas chambers. Anne's familly was hiding in the attic of her father's business, but after years of hiding, they were captured. Anne keept this diary and wrote about her time in the attic. Her dad gave her the diary for her birthday. They lived there with another family, and one other person. They had to live off of potatos, and stay quiet during the day. Her life was really hard as a young girl, and she reached womanhood while she was in hiding. A little while after they were captured, her family died, and even she died of an illness. her father was the only one that lived to have her diary published.

I would recommend this book but it is very sad. I don't know what it must be like having nothing, no friends, no outdoors, making no noise, having little to eat. It was a hard time knowing that she might be caught, and that many of her friends and family were dying in camps. I would also recommend visiting her house in Amsterdam. ( )
  Dontaeg.bg3 | May 31, 2017 |

Quite a short book of the brief stories written by Anne Frank while in hiding, bulked out a little by prose set-pieces from her diary. To be honest they are more interesting as further enlightenment about the state of mind of the writer than as literature in themselves; not very surprisingly, the themes of being enclosed or trapped, and parental and family relations, recur in most of the pieces. Still, I doubt if my own scribblings at the age of fourteen or fifteen would stand up to scrutiny as these do. ( )
  nwhyte | Dec 10, 2016 |
Very good! I'm glad I read it along with "The Diary," since there are several reference in "The Diary" to the stories in this book. ( )
  TerriS | Jan 17, 2016 |

Anne Frankprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frank, AnneAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mok, MichelTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mosberg, H. H. B.Translatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Reference guide/companion to

Kitty is the girl next door.

Presents forty short stories and fables by Anne Frank, including many about her experiences in hiding from the Nazis, and her unfinished novel, "Cady's Life."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,824,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible