War and Peace (1/2) by Leo Tolstoy

War and Peace (1/2)

by Leo Tolstoy

Series: War and Peace (1/2)

English (6)  French (3)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All (11)
Inspired by Pat Conroy's admission that he revisits this book every year, I decided to listen to the story again. The writing is so compelling and I love the mini historical and philosophical sessions. This book is still tops for me! ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
With over 500 characters each given time and place to make a mark within a rolling, panoramic story of truly Historical proportions, where shall I begin? Easy: An unsurpassed MASTERPIECE of its epic genre and Tolstoy one of the genuine immortal great Authors. Everytime I consider the Russian literally penned this immense tome and kept niches for every personality, scene, word and gesture in the mind as he did so just astounds me all over again at his brilliance. ( )
  tommi180744 | Aug 30, 2013 |
Tolstói descreve detalhes físicos com uma vivacidade que torna algumas cenas do livro memoráveis. Ele é, porém, tão didático e repetitivo com sua filosofia da história que aborrece.
Esse livro está na contraditória lista dos livros dos quais eu gostei mas que não pretendo reler. ( )
  JuliaBoechat | Mar 30, 2013 |
1805 à Moscou, en ces temps de paix fragile, les Bolkonsky, les Rostov et les Bézoukhov constituent les personnages principaux d'une chronique familiale. Une fresque sociale où l'aristocratie, de Moscou à Saint-Pétersbourg, entre grandeur et misérabilisme, se prend au jeu de l'ambition sociale, des mesquineries, des premiers émois. 1812, la guerre éclate et peu à peu les personnages imaginaires évoluent au sein même des événements historiques. Le conte social, dépassant les ressorts de l'intrigue psychologique, prend une dimension d'épopée historique et se change en récit d'une époque. La 'Guerre' selon Tolstoï, c'est celle menée contre Napoléon par l'armée d'Alexandre, c'est la bataille d'Austerlitz, l'invasion de la Russie, l'incendie de Moscou, puis la retraite des armées napoléoniennes. Entre les deux romans de sa fresque, le portrait d'une classe sociale et le récit historique, Tolstoï tend une passerelle, livrant une réflexion philosophique sur le décalage de la volonté humaine aliénée à l'inéluctable marche de l'Histoire ou lorsque le destin façonne les hommes malgré eux. --Lénaïc Gravis et Jocelyn Blériot
  PierreYvesMERCIER | Feb 19, 2012 |
I have finished the first half of War & Peace. I plan listen to some other books before proceeding with the second half. I belong to a book group that is reading it for the summer. Two meetings still remain of the three planned, so I still plenty of time to finish.

I plan to wait until I'm finished with the second half before trying to write a review. I'm wondering how to write a review of a book that has been already thoroughly reviewed by scholars for many years. What more can I say that hasn't been said before. ( )
  Clif | Aug 5, 2010 |

Tolstoy, Leoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Edmonds, RosemaryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Edmonds, RosemaryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Papma, DieuwkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeeman, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

"Eh bien, mon prince", so Genoa and Lucca are now no more than private estates of the Bonaparte family.
This is volume 1 in a 2 volume set. If your copy is here but you have a 3 or 4 volumes set, please separate the work and combine with the other volume 1.

20110911: There is no other volume 1

Considered one of the best books ever written, "War and Peace" has remained in the upper echelon of world literature because it masterfully captures an intimate view of humanity on an epic scale. Through the use of fictional narrative, Tolstoy utilizes a huge cast of characters, centering on five aristocratic Russian families in 1805, during the Napoleonic Wars. These characters, particularly Pierre, Prince Andrei, and the beautiful Natasha, demonstrate different human struggles that are affected by their history, present era, and culture. They simultaneously develop the concepts on which Tolstoy expounds in the thematic essays interspersed throughout the narrative: a person's free will and the shaping of historical events, morality in an imperfect world, youth and age, marriage and death, and, of course, war and peace, in a work so groundbreaking that it was not considered a novel when published in 1865. In redefining the fictional novel, Tolstoy's genius has explored what is fundamentally human with scope and Russian spirit. Presented here in this edition is the first of two volumes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:46 -0400)

This classic of world literature follows five families as they struggle through the Napoleonic Wars. Against a war-torn backdrop, these endearing characters struggle with the challenging tribulations of life that are only intensified by war and revenge.… (more)

The Planet

An edition of this book was published by The Planet.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,074,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible